Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

I am surprised at all the negativity I am seeing. Do they really deserve all that?.
    I think it's not so much at SMR, it's more at how this particular campaign is being run. there's been what seems to be dozens of threads and "reviews" from folks, all reading the same cue cards with their personal reviews

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Never watched a Spiguyver review, and never will. When I see how long his reviews are, I check out in 10 seconds. As for Sierra Madre, I never saw anything I like about their products, and stopped paying attention to them long ago.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Never watched a Spiguyver review, and never will. When I see how long his reviews are, I check out in 10 seconds. As for Sierra Madre, I never saw anything I like about their products, and stopped paying attention to them long ago.
    Do you ever watch Shug's reviews? I do, they are great. Not all that short, however. Which is fine with me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Do you ever watch Shug's reviews? I do, they are great. Not all that short, however. Which is fine with me.
    There is an entertainment factor in Shug's reviews, which I find entirely lacking in Spiguyver's reviews.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    There is an entertainment factor in Shug's reviews, which I find entirely lacking in Spiguyver's reviews.
    Well, I'm not entertaining but I did ok on the short video first look I think. 3 minutes 14 seconds! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amZ2h6My2q0&t=14s

I honestly really like the hammock so far.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    First-off...thank you fellers.

Doing a real review is hard to do in 3 to 5 to 7 minutes.
    Always feel like 3 minutes is more an extended ad.....at least when I do it.
    One thing I've learned over time as I answer all the questions and comments that folks all like to see different stuff on the said product. And that is often still not enough for some.

I like SMD. I reviewed the NUBE and they had very specific requests for me as to the specific language of their parts....and that is not my bag so much. I like to freeball it.
    A great system for many but I did not like it as much as my old tried and true hammocks and tarps. Felt I had to always duck a bit low to get in and under the tarp. Not a deal-breaker but I am set in my ways at this point.
    In the end I felt sorta guilty keeping it so I sent it all back to them.

When I get asked to test/show/review product it takes a lot of time and I get asked A LOT. My only request is that I get to keep the product.
    My feeling is that some folks would never see some of this gear if not for YT reviews and maybe it can be seen as a service to the hammock community. Sometimes I am called a product pimp. Eh.
    When I get that name called I let them know a lot of and most of my videos are about learning how to use and enjoy a hammock and all the accoutrement and save them a bit of trail and error.
    Much of it is learned right here.
    Paying attention to what the latest hammock befuddlement may be.
    This old dog does not want to learn too many new tricks.
    Maybe this SMD campaign just got a bit outta hand for some folks but I know that their hearts are in the right place.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 09-14-2018 at 19:41.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    First-off...thank you fellers.

Doing a real review is hard to do in 3 to 5 to 7 minutes.
    I always feel if it is 3 minutes it looks more like an extended ad.
    One thing I've learned over time as I answer all the questions and comments that folks all like to see different stuff on the said product. And that is often still not enough for some.

I like SMD. I reviewed the NUBE and they had very specific requests for me and that is not my bag so much. I like to freeball it.
    A great system for many but I did not like it as much as my old tried and true hammocks and tarps. Felt I had to always duck a bit low to get in and under the tarp. Not a deal-breaker but I am set in my ways at this point.
    In the end I felt sorta guilty keeping it so I sent it all back to them.

When I get asked to test/show/review product it takes a lot of time and I get asked A LOT. My only request is that I get to keep the product.
    My feeling is that some folks would never see some of this gear if not for YT reviews and maybe it can be seen as a service to the hammock community. Sometimes I am called a product pimp. Eh.
    When I get that name called I let them know a lot of and most of my videos are about learning how to use and enjoy a hammock and all the accoutrement and save them a bit of trail and error.
    Much of it is learned right here.
    Paying attention to what the latest hammock befuddlement may be.
    This old dog does not want to learn too many new tricks.
    Maybe this SMD campaign just got a bit outta hand for some folks but I know that their hearts are in the right place.
    Shug
    I totaly agree , you can't do a great review in that short of a period. SMD asked me to keep it at 2 minutes (first look) not a review.. i'm guessing I blew it in the 3 mintue range. The hammock and this is just my opinon is a great hammock. Will I trade it in for my Airship ? heck no! That will always be my goto hammock system But i'll use it sometimes just like my Amok. I've always been interested in the NUBE but never layed in one.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My feeling is that some folks would never see some of this gear if not for YT reviews and maybe it can be seen as a service to the hammock community. Sometimes I am called a product pimp.

I honestly would never have found the Amok Draumr without that video of you lowering it down via the trapeze

you do a good job reviewing stuff without coming across like shilling

some of the other folks come across like they're reading cue cards

Shug of the 3rd person always comes across like you're just spitting out whatever comes to mind, good/bad, just personal impressions

it's very refreshing, and I think reflects in the views and subscribes you get

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    A company telling a product reviewer how to do reviews is crossing a line. They should be confident -- and above-board -- enough to put their product out there and have reviewers do what they will. Putting any restrictions or expectations on a review pushes it into advertisement territory.

(signed, former product editor and professional reviewer)

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    Looks like they're taking some design cues from popular integrated bug net hammocks -- Dream Hammock, SLD Trail Lair, Dutch Chameleon, etc. I'll be interested to see if there are any other unique features contributing to "flat lay".

I agree that it feels like all the best of what is currently out there integrated into a new hybrid system. The Sheltowee clam, Simply Light Trail Lair, Dream Hammock Beaks, Warbonnet Mini Fly, etc.

There does seem to be some unique features that make this a good plug in play hammock for newbies that are confused by cottage options or quickly sold on the ENO big box

This looks interesting to me and I think the price point is competitive IF it lives up to the hype. I wouldn’t mind checking out one of these complete systems if the opportunity arises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast