DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles

Actual usefulness of HH stock tarp?

Howdy - 2012 HF member whose login expired from underuse. Sorry, everybody. Glad to know nobody snagged the vicar7 name in the years away.

ANYWAY. I'm trying to get back into hanging with my stock HH expedition asym zip. Have a new UQ and everything. But I live in the PacNW, want to go out next week and the weather calls for rain.

I've only used the hammock in dry weather.

Am I in trouble if I go into the Mt. Jefferson wilderness with the stock HH asym diamond tarp? It seems...I don't know...small and likely to get me soaked if the rain moves at all sideways.

Anybody have actual experience using this thing in the wet? I imagine I should upgrade my tarp at some point if I'm serious about getting back into it but don't know if I'll have time before I head out.

Thanks!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I would be afraid to take it because I got wet under one once when the wind got up.Switched over to larger tarps and never looked back..........However,some people know how to make them work so I guess my skill set is lacking..........

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking, and I'm 0% afraid to admit my skill set is still definitely lacking. I'm not convinced I have the experience to make it work if the weather causes trouble.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Yep. Vertical rain is no problem. Much else and you're wet at some point.

Now, some will tell you that they've taken it thru ______ storm and I've done similar. It's just too minimalist for unexpected wind-driven rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    It works really well. Been through a lot of storms and never had any water get through the stock fly. Of course, it covers just the hammock, stick a finger outside the bugnet and it's getting wet.

Center it over the body of the hammock. Stake it low. For a tensioner, I hang my camp shoes or a water bottle from that plastic "oring" that the guyline ties to. Without some kind of tension, it may flap.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    As a former HH user for many, many years, I never had an issue with the tarp during rain or storms & I've experienced quite a few over the years.

Go for it!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    You folks are pretty awesome with the encouragement - I appreciate you!

I really like the idea of adding the tensioner to the o-ring. A+

If it's a mixed rain situation maybe I'll give it a shot and look to upgrade the tarp for the next trip. If it's going to be a soaker I'd rather hold off and do it right with a new larger tarp (assuming I don't just change hammocks entirely).

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The tarp covers the hammock if you put it tight to the ridgeline and hug the sides in close. In storms pitch it in storm mode. The diamond tarp coverage will not leave you room to sit in the hammock or hang out underneath the tarp like a larger hex tarp does.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used the stock tarp on my Expedition for two years before upgrading. As you mention, it doesn't deal with sideways rain very well. The diehard fans of the tiny asym tarp will tell you that you can use "site selection" to keep yourself protected in any weather, if you just hunker that tarp down low. They say you just need to find a hollow or camp with a bunch of bushes to shield you from the wind. I personally find the whole concept of "site selection" to be absurd. Wind shifts, after all.

Nothing like a 4-season tarp to keep you dry in any weather. A 4-season Warbonnet Superfly will handle just about anything. I have the HG cuben fiber Winter Palace and haven't gotten wet since the day I bought it!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If I only had a stock tarp I'd load up my closed cell pad and my heavy synthetic sleeping bag and go! It will be a learning experience to see for yourself if you can make it work if it even does storm.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast