Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    0* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Cat Cut or Straight Edge - Cold Wet Weather

I know this has been discussed here before but a search turned up a whole whack of different things...

I'm going to be purchasing a SLD Winter Haven 12" (Silpoly XL with 3 internal poles). The only type of tarp Ive used for my hammock is straight edge and it's been fine. I use my tarp all year round here in Ontario, with the majority of my hammocking done in the fall, winter and spring. Temps can be very cold and windy and it can get very wet. Any advantage of a cat cut over a straight edge for these types of conditions? I understand the cat will set up a bit taughter but give a bit less coverage (although this shouldn't be too much of an issue seeing as I'm going with the XL tarp). When talking to Jared he made a good point about the straight edge being able to pitch right to the ground for really cold weather...

Just looking for some input either way please...

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I have one of Jarred's winter haven tarps and love it but the one thing I would change is to add a center/middle tarp edge tie down as a tarp this large catches a lot of wind and could benefit from an addition tie down. Straight or cat is your decision but the straight will block more wind/rain.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's so much easier to get a cat cut tarp taut. I just can't be bothered with a straight cut. I had one once and it drove me crazy trying to get it tautly pitched.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    0* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I have one of Jarred's winter haven tarps and love it but the one thing I would change is to add a center/middle tarp edge tie down as a tarp this large catches a lot of wind and could benefit from an addition tie down. Straight or cat is your decision but the straight will block more wind/rain.
    Apparently his 12 and 13 foot Winter Havens come with this standard....I actually asked as I think I recall reading you mentioning this in another post?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    0* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It's so much easier to get a cat cut tarp taut. I just can't be bothered with a straight cut. I had one once and it drove me crazy trying to get it tautly pitched.
    Hmmm maybe it's just because I don't know otherwise but I don't seem to have issues with my current tarp...But again maybe that's just because I have nothing to compare it to?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    I have a 12' cat cut Silpoly XL that pitches very taught and a 12' straight cut xenon wide that pitches taught enough but supplies a lot more coverage for extreme weather conditions. It offers more coverage to the ground. I love them both. For wet or snowy weather I will grab the straight cut every time.

I'd recommend the 2 pole internal mod at a minimum.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    0* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1840 View Post
    I have a 12' cat cut Silpoly XL that pitches very taught and a 12' straight cut xenon wide that pitches taught enough but supplies a lot more coverage for extreme weather conditions. It offers more coverage to the ground. I love them both. For wet or snowy weather I will grab the straight cut every time.

I'd recommend the 2 pole internal mod at a minimum.
    That's super helpful, thank you! I think based on the times of year I camp I'll likely go with the straight edge for better weather protection. Good to know about the pole mod too...making my decision easier

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The JRB 10 x 11 tarp has both, cat cut sides and straight cut sides; why settle when you can have both?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel