ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    undecided - JRB?
    Insulation
    any bag handy
    Suspension
    slap straps

Hammock accessory compatibility question

While I've been backpacking for several years now, I'm just starting to experiment with hammocks. I have a two-person ENO (impulse REI purchase) that I'm pleased with and have used several times. When I bought the ENO, I knew almost nothing about hammocks. Having done additional research, I've found the many manufacturers who make great accessories such as underquilts, tarps, straps, etc. I want to experiment more before going after a new hammock, and I'd also like to try out some specific accessories that have caught my eye.

So here's my question - how much cross-brand compatibility exists among hammock and accessory manufacturers. Obviously, some things are more easily compatible than others. I'm most curious about underquilts, as they seem the most likely to be custom-fit.

Any thoughts, good or bad, about mixing & matching accessories are appreciated!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would say there are a lot of things that can go back and forth but others that can't. If you have some specifics we could help to sort out what will and what won't work with your eno, and others.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    undecided - JRB?
    Insulation
    any bag handy
    Suspension
    slap straps
    Thanks. After browsing around on the forums a bit, I found a video about replacing the cordage at the ends of the hammock, which was a helpful place to start. I guess for me the two additions I'm most wondering about are an underquilt and a bug net. I do not want to go with the bug net ENO sells, which surrounds the hammock, but am more interested in an option that can be attached to the sides of the hammock. As an aside, I do understand that this particular bug net request would most likely require a mod to the hammock itself by some sort of stitching to attach the bug net.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    That helps to narrow down things, Yes there are a couple options for bug nets like that, check out Speer Hammocks, I believe Ed has his bug nets designed to be added with some Velcro that runs the length of the hammock edges. You would have to add the other side to the Eno for it to attache.

Under quilts are a good bit more flexible. There are lots designed to fit end gathered hammocks (like Enos) from most of the quilt manufacures. There are a couple quilts that are made specifically to fit certian hammocks or designs. But there are lots of options available that will work great.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have two Jacks R Better UQs that were mostly designed to work with Hennessy Hammocks but they work just as well with my DIY gathered end hammocks. Also have a KAQ UQ that has an asym shape to match the Hennessys and it also works with the gathered end hammocks but not quite as well as the rectangular Jacks UQs. Like pgibson said, UQs generally have a lot of flexibility.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    .... Also have a KAQ UQ that has an asym shape to match the Hennessys and it also works with the gathered end hammocks but not quite as well as the rectangular Jacks UQs. Like pgibson said, UQs generally have a lot of flexibility.
    I can confirm that too ... my KAQ works great with my ENO Double ... I just clip the asym points to my hammock to prevent gaps.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    That helps to narrow down things, Yes there are a couple options for bug nets like that, check out Speer Hammocks, I believe Ed has his bug nets designed to be added with some Velcro that runs the length of the hammock edges. You would have to add the other side to the Eno for it to attache.
    Speers are quite a bit shorter than ENOs, which might be a problem...just have to try it and see.

The ridgeline for the Speer bug net is integral with the Speer suspension, so that, too, would have to be dealt with.

Some people, myself included, don't like the Velcro attachment of the Speer net. This may not be an issue with you, however.

One argument in favor of the full surround style net is, skeeters can bite right through a single layer of nylon. If you're using an UQ or pad, that's no problem, but it is something to consider.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts