Total newbie. Can anyone help me hang my flex 180 please? Cant get it to work at all!

Hu guys.
    Got my first ever hammock the other week and it was one i have wanted for a LONG time.
    Got it off a guy on ebay.
    Its the Flex 180. Not sure if its the newer slightly larger flex 180 or the original one.
    I just couldn't get it to be comfortable. however i lay there wasn't much of a flat lay and i had to keep pulling myself "up" because i found i kept on sliding down to the foot area. Also, there were ridges all along when i tried the diagonal.
    Am i supposed to be able to lie "flat" with my legs stretched out or do i HAVE to do the "figure 4" thing with my legs and almost the same with one of my arms under my head (dont really like that position)?

Also, when i hung it, it was either too high to get into or if it was comfortable height to get into it dipped so low and close to the ground when i was in.

Im 5'10" and about 172 lbs

So disappointing! I really hoped id like hammock camping and that i could get it to work but really no luck and quite frustrating. Also, only 2 webbing straps so tying the third rope was difficult.
    The webbing is the standard ropes with the metal ring.

I've attached some pictures of the last attempt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    try hanging foot end higher than head. can't tell from your photo if you are or not.
    straps will make it easier to hang than the rope.
    shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    1) comfortable lay: I've found that the clark hammocks do not behave the same as a traditional gathered end hammock. Older Clarks are short with a specially designed body and aren't meant to have a diagonal lay like normal, but I've slept quite comfortably in my clarks without figure-4ing any of my body parts. I think from the photos much of your banana effect could be resulting from too saggy a hang. Try pitching the suspension a little tighter than the standard 30 degrees and see what happens.

2)tree span: You have quite a long span between your trees in the pics as well. As Shug says, replacing your rope suspension with straps or amsteel will make it easier to hang but could also minimize some of the stretch in the lines. The further the trees are apart the more stretch you will experience regardless of your suspension, however. The stretch results in the hanging high and still bumping the ground effect you are experiencing. The stretch can also contribute to more banana effect for a hammock without a ridgeline. Think about the suspension angle when there is no weight in the hammock, then imagine as you sit in and sink to the ground. That suspension angle changes drastically when you have a a long span and a lot of stretch. Again, try starting with a flatter hang angle and see what happens. Without shorter tree span and/or a better suspension, you will still experience that sinking effect but a flatter start should help. Please note that when i say flatter, i do not mean dead flat. Remember that the flatter you go with the suspension the more stress it gets put under. That said, I think that you have some room to go based on the pics before you have to worry about the danger zone. I have used a ridgeline on my clark to ensure a consistent hang but find that once you get the hangle of the dangle it isn't all that necessary and is actually a nuisance.

3)and yes, if you are sliding down to the foot, just drop your head end and/or raise the foot end a little.

Best of luck to you! Clarks are good hammocks and I used mine for years. I'm sure you will get the hang of it. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Just looked back at the pics and realized that as a point of reference, when hanging the hammock you can tighten the suspension so that the weather shield/mosquito netting between the two spreader poles has much less sag. It doesn't need to be drum tight but if it has as much sag as in the pics you certainly have room to tighten the suspension.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Awesome forum, hour or so and got a bunch of replies.

Thanks very much for the replies guys, really appreciate it!
    I will have a go in a day or two at a tighter hang with closer trees and report back here.

• + New Posts