WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I was eating a tortilla wrap today when I forgot to close the end. Out shoots a piece of salami and mustard, the later of which lands on my pants.
    And yea I’m sleeping tonight in one of the largest black bear protected areas. Hoping they prefer ketchup.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I was eating a tortilla wrap today when I forgot to close the end. Out shoots a piece of salami and mustard, the later of which lands on my pants.
    And yea I’m sleeping tonight in one of the largest black bear protected areas. Hoping they prefer ketchup.
    You're lucky. It's the grizzlies that prefer mustard.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Warbonnet Elderado
    Insulation
    Wookie Underquit
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    When I lived in New York (Orange County) we lived on Schunemunk Mountian. The wife and I would go backpacking all over the region and not once did we ever see a bear. However, at home, once or twice a month we would see a bear trying to get into someone's house or take off with the outside garbage cans.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I have a 2 acre yard that I like to throw the hammock up in and sleep outdoors when I can't get away. It still amazes me how much scurying and skittering there is in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I occasionally have fleeting freak-outs when hanging in more populated (by humans) areas. When I have camped in remote areas, with little chance of encountering a person, or just encountering people that had to put forth the effort to be where we are, I sleep completely content. It must be my subconscious acknowledging that animals have no malice to fear. The only threat I have from animals is their desire for food or protection of their offspring. They have predictable motives. Humans on the other hand can have ulterior motives. If I have prepared properly (hang my food), I should have no concern.

In short, people freak me out. The wild does not.
    Deadrise, Derailleurs, & Dirt

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    Really the only thing that bothers me when hammock camping is widow makers. I've had several close calls and now I'm pretty paranoid about it. It doesn't matter how much I double check, I still feel like I'm not seeing the "Big" one that'll take me out. So, I guess man or beast doesn't worry me, but rather nature itself.

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markhait View Post
    Really the only thing that bothers me when hammock camping is widow makers. I've had several close calls and now I'm pretty paranoid about it. It doesn't matter how much I double check, I still feel like I'm not seeing the "Big" one that'll take me out. So, I guess man or beast doesn't worry me, but rather nature itself.

Have you been treating your clothes & equipment (including hammock & suspension) with permethrin?

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    Yes, I have for the first time on a trip I took this past weekend. It worked wonderfully!!! I am a believer now. I soaked the hammock, suspension, pants, socks, shirt and with the left overs I sprayed my boots. I had very few mosquito bites as compared to my nephew. All my bites were on exposed skin.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Most interesting discussion.

I have already posted about being fearful of Hanging overnight in my own yard.

Out in the bush as long as there are not unknown people around I am very comfortable.

I keep food away from my hammock. I wear somethimg clean to sleep in. I transitioned into a netless hammock then to a bridge. If the weather is willing I go tarpless. I keep things as open as possible.

I feel at ease in the bush, I feel like I belong in the forest. In the city I keep everything locked all the time. Gee, I even fixed my trash receptacle so whoever is playing games with it will get a little surprise. My fence is wired, my big bird will attack. I prefer the bush and either no people or very few. I am female and feel a need to use caution when meeting new folks.

When my daughter and I Hang her dog screams if anything gets near us!
    I think critters smell the dog or dogs and for the most part keep their distance.

I Hang to relax, I do not relax well if I do not feel secure.

How some of you use ear plugs is beyond my comprehension. I need and want to hear the night sounds.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    How some of you use ear plugs is beyond my comprehension. I need and want to hear the night sounds.
    I agree. The only time I want earplugs is when I'm in the backyard... too many trains go through town in the night! But when I'm the real outdoors, I want to hear it all. It feels creepy if I can't hear what's going on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast