Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.

Need a hammock suggestion

Now that Ive realized I was looking at/for the wrong thing...

I need a new hammock!

I have a HH and love the bug netting. I want to replace the HH that I have (Desert Rat) only because of its weight (2# 10oz)

What is a suggested hammock WITH bug netting that will be lighter?

What are the pros/cons of what you are suggesting?

HH Ultralight BP?
    Hyper Light?
    WBBB?

Any others I should consider?

I will also be considering converting to whoopie slings. Which hammocks make that conversion easy/easier?
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Youre best bet is probably going to be the WBBB. He provides the option for double or single layer and also provides the option of 2 different weights of material.

Generally... All the current hammocks in production are easy to swap over to whoopie slings. The WB, ENO and Switchback are all pretty much the same method... although the SB and ENO have channels. You are essentially larks heading the sling to the hammock.

The Hennessey is a little different and more involved, but not any more difficult.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Store bought or DIY?

Kinda hard to get lighter than a piece of fabric with some whipping on the end...

A piece of mosquito netting draped over a ridgeline is pretty light also.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Cuffs, treat yourself to the best. Get a Warbonnet Blackbird in 1.1 ounce nylon. For no bigger than you are, you could use the 1.1 oz single layer, 20 ounces with Brandon's "line" suspension, similar to the weight of using it with whoopie slings. But I would strongly recommend going with the double layer 1.1, weighing in at 27 ounces with the line suspension. You're still saving nearly a pound over your current rig, and it will be MUCH more comfortable owing to the footbox, which allows an almost horizontal lay.

Kayak Karl tried my WBBB at Ruck and the first thing he said was "Why don't they talk about the footbox more on Brandon's website?!" He's got hundreds of nights in his Hennessy and instantly decided to convert to the Blackbird after less than five minutes. It really is that much better.

I recommend the double layer in case you choose to use a pad for insulation. It really does help keep a pad in place pretty well, certainly better than in a single layer.

I could also hook you up with a MacCat Deluxe Tarp at the friend rate if having a good tarp is a concern.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have to say ... The Warbonnet blackbird all the way! ... While your on the site might as well and go ahead and pick up a great tarp too. If not I'll second the OES Maccat Deluxe, I almost bought that tarp ... Almost ... but I ended up with a Big Mamajamba instead. Can't go wrong with either.
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    I have to say ... The Warbonnet blackbird all the way! ... While your on the site might as well and go ahead and pick up a great tarp too. If not I'll second the OES Maccat Deluxe, I almost bought that tarp ... Almost ... but I ended up with a Big Mamajamba instead. Can't go wrong with either.
    I also just bought a WB Big MamaJamba and used it last night in some COLD wind for the first time. Its outstanding quality and flexibility with the detachable doors is why I'm willing to possibly consider parting with the the MacCat tarp.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images

Hammock bliss

I have a Hammock Bliss no seeum. You can use it with the bug net deployed or flip it over to use with no net. It's got alot of room. It's worth a look at for the price.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    WBBB...luxury nights rest. Want lightweight? His traveler and bugnet cover both your issues.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    If your only downside to your HH is weight, stick with what you know and get a lighter HH; UL BP, or Hyperlight. Maybe add a zipper mod for versatility. There is no hammock out there that is right for everyone. Even the highly touted WBBB, you still see some used ones up for sale; including mine (just couldn't find get comfortable .
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I know everyone's gonna be surprised, but I'm gonna have to give another thumbs up to the BlackBird. For you, Cuffs, I'm thinking the 1.1 Double Layer will do nicely. It's light enough for you, but will be very comfortable and has the double layer to put a pad in for warmer weather. I think the BlackBird is the obvious choice here.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast