Lots of options - a couple decisions

I'm narrowing down my decisions on my custom hammock. Quite a process with so many options.

Info on me - I am 6'1", 275 lbs and am quite comfortable in my Warbonnet XLC Heavy Double @ 62" width. I'm looking at Dream Hammocks to "explore" possibilities of even MORE comfort and frankly just to expand my fleet. I hate my ENO hammock fabric because it's so stretchy. I sink so far down that I find it very difficult to get out of the hammock. If there's anything I'd slightly tweak about my Warbonnet is that it is super firm and has very little stretch. I might want a little more stretch but not too much more than the Warbonnet

I'm a little nervous about a couple decision points.

1) Making the hammock too wide - Checking "Wide as possible" would be interesting but it definitely makes me nervous. And wide as possible in the XL fabric is different from wide as possible non-XL fabrics?

2) Fabrics - What would you suggest given my priorities are increased comfort over the Warbonnet, and then weight for backpacking (in that order). If you think a double layer would be more comfortable, I would be willing to sacrifice weight for comfort.

Any advice would really help.

I really like a firm hammock! I guess I'd give up a bit of comfort by going single layer if I were considering some truly serious backpacking. For a few days at a time, I'd opt for the few extra(?) ounces and sleep well.

I'd want to try out a wide hammock before buying one. It's not for everyone.

I'm a big fan of the stuff the Smurfs produce and we are, after all, in their sub-forum!
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-13-2018 at 11:33.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    And my most comfy hammock is 1.0 ripstop and stretchy! But I weigh 180. You'll want something more firm, but almost any DL hammock is going to be firm unless using the very lightest of materials. Since you have a DL, might want to go with a SL in some firm material is rated close to your weight. From there, the best advice is going to come from Papa (Smurf).

Regarding width, I don't like stuff in my face, but I like a wider hammock. Mine is 65", netless, and I have to crank the knotty mod to get it how I like it. My experience with netted hammocks is that I did not need as much width. Being that you're several inches taller than me and likely a good bit broader in the shoulders, I think it might be good for you to try something a little wider. You can probably talk to Papa about what you like currently with width and get good advice on what to do there.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    You might consider something 64ish wide. We can of course cut the width down to suit your tastes. Most folks around your height get along just fine going with something 64ish, while I do have several customers who really want to go as wide as possible and enjoy the feel of something as wide as 72" or so.I'm 265lbs myself. I can use a single layer of the 1.6oz HyperD or the 1.7oz Robic and get a nice supportive lay when sleeping on my back. When I'm on my side, I lose a little too much flatness with the HyperD and it allows my hip to drop and puts my back into a weird bend. The 1.7oz Robic is just a bit firmer and works great for me even on my side. My first thought would be to recommend the 1.7 Robic, but if you are truly looking for a bit of softness and stretch, the HyperD may be closer to what you're looking for.

If we can help you out in any way just let me know.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you like firm fabrics and think the Heavyweight DL is very comfortable, I would not go below 70D in a single layer. Every fabric has its own character, and you can change it by mixing different fabrics. The problem is, that the results are not really foreseeable, in my experience. For me, the Heavyweight DL hammocks are my most comfortable hammocks. The fabric stretches very little, but still enough to make it give in the right places. I like the 1.7 SL as well, but it's not quite as comfortable long-term. The simple 1.9oz ripstop nylon RbtR sells stretches a bit less, but unfortunately it's not as wide. Personally, I don't like the 1.7oz Robic. Probably due to its Hybrid-construction it is fairly firm but at the same time bouncy. Plenty of people love it, though.

I like the HyperD, but a single layer of 1.6 HyperD gives me backpain. It stretches more or maybe differently than the 1.7 fabric Warbonnet uses. Interestingly, I find it a lot firmer than the 1.7 fabric - almost too firm - when used as a double layer. The 1.0oz HyperD is among my favorite fabrics when used as a double layer. Unfortunately it's not available in XL

Maybe the 2.2oz HEX70 XL is an option for you. I couldn't warm up to it, though, because it has an interesting stretch - possibly due to the hexagon ripstop pattern. Although it didn't give me backpain, it felt stretchier than other 70D fabrics I have tried.

I find it very difficult to describe the lay different fabrics provide, and would suggest that you go to a group hang if you can. Nothing can replace first-hand experience.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I am 315 lbs and use a double layer 1.6 oz HyperD in as wide as possible "symmetrical" Sparrow. It is the most comfy hammock I have . I also have a WBBB XL double, a Dangerbird double with 2.2 hex outside 1.6 hyperD inside at 65 inches wide Asym lay and an older DreamHammock table cloth polyester 72 inch wide hammock. The Sparrow just seems to be the best lay I get. I do have a slight bit of extra fabric at my face but if I use the tieout this is not an issue. The one issue I have had in my hammocks is the use of an underquilt. If I set it up "correctly" its width limits me being able to attain a good diagonal lay - it kind of restricts me and puts stress on my head and feet. This is why I use a pad and double layer so it keeps my pad in place. Bottom line is I recommend the 1.6 oz HyperD in a double layer somewhere between 65 and 72 inches wide.
    Dave

Hammock
    Chameleon/sparrow/trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream/Ha
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/Top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggle
    While I've only slept in my Sparrow about 5 times so far, I find it extremely comfortable on back or side. I'm 6'1" at 225 lbs and had mine made to 64" wide using the 1.7oz Robic. Minimal stretch with about 2 " of extra fabric at feet - none at face. This was a great choice for me.

• + New Posts