Hammock
    Chameleon; Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Dutchware 11 Hex
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Backyard hang, help?

Two new hangers here. We have a backyard with one lonely tree. Wed like to install some posts so we can hang at least two hammocks and practice for a real hammock camping trip. Can someone advise us on: what size posts ( Im thinking 4x4), how deep they should go, how long (high) they should be, how far apart...

Any help is much appreciated. We are very excited to get this project done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Hexon 12'
    Insulation
    UQ and bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by ElMard View Post
    Two new hangers here. We have a backyard with one lonely tree. Wed like to install some posts so we can hang at least two hammocks and practice for a real hammock camping trip. Can someone advise us on: what size posts ( Im thinking 4x4), how deep they should go, how long (high) they should be, how far apart...

Any help is much appreciated. We are very excited to get this project done.
    Here's what I did: 6X6 Pressure treated beams in 4 foot deep holes with cement poured around the base. Then cover it up after the cement dried. The poles were cut off at 8 feet above the ground. It seems to work for everything I have from 9.5 foot to 12 foot hammocks.

hammock1.jpg
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Under/Topquilt
    I have been through this. I was a new hamocker just a few years back. I didn't have 2 trees close enough so I installed one post 15' from a single tree.
    I went to the feed store and picked up a 4" diameter fence post. I then sank a 2' section of 4" abs piping in the ground set in concrete. That way I can set the post in it when I want to hang and remove it when I don't. I also capped it so it wouldn't fill up with rain or dirt. It is flush with the ground so no one trips on it or I don't eat it with the lawn mower. The post I believe is 8' so 6' above ground. If I could redo it I would use a longer post as this is JUST enough room for me to hang. I have to put my tree straps at the very top of the post.
    I also found that I needed to tie it down because it was leveraging under my weight. I solved this by wedging a 15' galvanized fence post between the post and the tree. Solid as a rock...or 2 trees.
    This is the best pic I have of the set up.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DWG, WBRR, SLD
    Tarp
    SLD, DWG, WB, UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Images
    I believe others will chime in, but I know there is some risk of the 4x4's breaking, especially if there are any knots in them. Having a horizontal header board at the top between the 2 posts would reduce this risk to an extent, as would using guylines to brace against the forces of the loaded hammock, but I've read several posts suggesting against the use of 4x4's as standalone anchor points, especially if concrete is poured at the base. 6x6 or 4x6 with the longer dimension in-line with the hammock suspension are recommended.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    What I would do(and did) is to make an arbor or similar.

Used 4x4 posts for the uprights. For the top, 2x6 for the long side(16') and 2x4 for the short side(12') and roof supports. 1x2 slats for the top. This serves as an outdoor dinning area and the posts are far enough to hang any size hammock.

If using 4x4 posts, I would recommend a top rail of some sorts. You can make it decorative and hang plants on it so it looks good in backyard.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

Concrete is about the worst thing you can do for a wooden (even treated!) or metal post; Perfect for plastic! Pack the hole around the post with gravel, a little at a time.

The rule of thumb for fences is: half as much in the ground as above. Of course, hammocks put way more stress on a post so the portion below grade needs to be much greater. If the posts are slanted away, less below grade than vertical.

Wooden 4X4s might be okay slanted, not okay for vertical unless braced at the top.

A four post arbor would really do the trick.

Hammock
    Chameleon; Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Dutchware 11 Hex
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I hadn’t considered an arbor. That may be the way to go.