Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images

Fall Creek Falls SP, TN Feb 27-28, 2010

My wife and I have long talked about hiking Fall Creek Falls, but between Mammoth Cave, Savage Gulf, AT sections, and closer trails, we have lived in middle Tennessee together for 5 years and never been.

So this year we decided to change that. For the last 6 weeks, we have looked at going, only to be dealt unusually snowy conditions, leaving us unwilling to drive the roads of Tennessee’s Cuberland Plateau. This past weekend, we finally made it.

We chose to hike the lower loop, 12 miles total with the last 4 including the best of the park: Piney Creek Falls and Fall Creek Falls, with its 265 foot drop the longest single plunge falls east of the Rocky Mountains.

We stepped off from the overnight trailhead at the Park Maintenance Lot around 10:45 AM. Dewey Bear was ready.

The first 2 ˝ miles were mellow and level, including solid bridges over the handful of creek crossings.

We stopped for lunch at Campsite 1. Sleeps With Skunks finished and stepped off ahead of my while I cleaned up, packed, and prepared to step off.

A mile after leaving Campsite 1, we began our descent into Cane Creek Gorge. We slowly and steadily made our way down the steep trail, dropping 700 feet in .8 miles. We could hear Cane Creek rumbling below us. We knew we were close when saw the old property line.

100 yards further, we reached the suspension bridge over Cane Creek.

Then we began the even steeper climb out of the gorge, 700 feet in .7 miles. Some places were very rocky.

Others were quite muddy. All in all, SWS and I were glad to be hiking UP this section. Just as we crest the edge, we stopped and gathered water from a small cascade just off the trail. 400 yards later, we arrived at our home at Campsite 2. The old well pump still stands that used to be the campsite’s watersource.

We put up our hammocks. I was eager to test the quality of hang with the ridgeline I had rigged for my ENO Double Nest.

The ridgeline helped me maintain a better sag, so I got just about the right amount of diagonal without so much tweaking. I loved it when I attached my watch, camera, and headlamp to it at night. And it allowed a better pitch for my underquilt, without the too-tight wrap I used to get in my ENO. It now attached the same as on a Hennessy or my WBBB.

We then battened down our winter tarps.

Again, I was working with something new, my Warbonnet Big MamaJamba Tarp. It took a bit of time to get used to the doors. They attach with hooks at the ridgeline and lower corners.

Then to ensure there is coerage over the tarp edge, short flaps are secured in place with lines that hook into point at the center of the tarp's ridgeline.

With its detachable doors in place, it offered fantastic protection from the cold wind gusting at over 20 MPH.

And for such a stealthy, dark color, it even allowed good light inside.

We both decided to lie down for naps. I awoke about 6 PM and began cooking dinner. About 6:30, SWS got up saying she felt really sick. We had both come down with a bout of stomach virus early in the week, but we’d felt OK by Thursday. However, she walked to the privy and didn’t return for some time. I walked to check on her and she was vomiting. I walked her back and a migraine set in. I gave her some warm cider to sip and helped her return to bed.

Sunday morning, I arose and fixed hot drinks for breakfast. She awoke really better. The migraine was mostly gone, but her stomach still bothered her some. Of course she also felt somewhat week after not eating the previous night. However, she felt well enough to walk the 2.3 miles to the Piney Creek Falls parking area. We agreed she would stay there while I hiked on by the quickest route to get the car and pick her up.

We stepped off to an unusually cold, windy morning with tiny snow pellets spitting around us. Fortunately the trail was very gentle, almost level, and we made good time. We knew we were close when we crossed a feeder stream heading toward Piney Creek.

Shortly after, we crossed the suspension bridge over Piney Creek.

We knew the parking lot was near. As we arrived, we decided to check out Piney Creek Falls on the short access trail to the overlook.

Then I set off without my pack, while SWS headed into the trees near the parking lot. She rigged her hammock and quilts and crawled in to wait while I covered the last 4 ˝ miles.

Instead of walking the Overnight Trail, I took the road a ˝ mile to where it joined the paved Piney Junction Bicycle Trail. I hustled down it making great time.

I briefly glanced at Fall Creek Falls from the Overlook then hustled on down the Overnight/Woodland Trail leading 1 mile to the Nature Center. As I approached the Nature Center, I crossed yet another suspension with perhaps the most scenic stream yet at Cane Creek. I wished I’d had my camera as I pushed on.

From the Nature Center, I pushed up the PawPaw/Overnight Trail. Once I could clearly see Highway 284 to my right, I pushed cross-country and joined the paved road. I arrived at the parking lot in high spirits. Even with the slightly shorter sections of pavement, I had covered at least 4 miles in 1:09. Not bad for an out-of-shape bubba with a bad ankle.

When I rejoined SWS she was sliding out of her hammock and quilts. The wind bit into her and she instantly began to shiver. I sent her to the car and gathered up the hammock and quilts. After she warmed up a bit, we then drove to Fall Creek Falls. With the coating of ice on the rocks surrounding the bottom pool, it was very striking.

SWS and I promised ourselves to return soon and continue hiking the trails at Fall Creek Falls State Park.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DIY hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When you walked on the suspension bridge at the nature center, you were walking on some of my craftsmanship....I was one of the 4 man crew that rebuilt it. I actually done several projects at that park.
    I prefer to LEVITATE between two trees...The Groundlings can have their tents.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by banjaritis View Post
    When you walked on the suspension bridge at the nature center, you were walking on some of my craftsmanship....I was one of the 4 man crew that rebuilt it. I actually done several projects at that park.
    Sweet. I was surprised at how sturdy all the bridges were. I'm used to some pretty rickety feeling suspension bridges.

Images
    Hey Bearpaw, thanks for the good report! I really enjoyed that, as I over-nighted in FCF maybe 10 years or so back. Is that water pump the only one in the park? Because if so, we slept at the same spot as you guys did, but on the ground. I don't remember a lot of details. But I remember leaving a parking area, hiking a ways, then going into a deep, steep gorge and immediately up the other side, and then we camped very near where we came out of the gorge. And that is where the water pump was, which I remember being our water supply. It didn't pump water very fast, but it was enough. I think it was a severe drought year, so if there were any streams close by, they might have been dry.

I enjoyed your pics, and sorry to hear SWS was so sick.

PS: I don't remember those suspension bridges. Maybe because it's been a long time, or maybe because we didn't walk over them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That was an excellent report. I really liked the pictures.
    Hope SWS can do it again when she's feeling better. A person really should enjoy spending time in a place like that
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Another terrific briefing!
    The falls look so purty.......
    Hope SWS feels better. She is a trooper.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Great trip report ...
    Were those Grizzbeaks on your Big Mamajamba or were they the doors from Warbonnet Outdoors? Great stuff ....
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey Bearpaw, thanks for the good report! I really enjoyed that, as I over-nighted in FCF maybe 10 years or so back. Is that water pump the only one in the park? Because if so, we slept at the same spot as you guys did, but on the ground. I don't remember a lot of details. But I remember leaving a parking area, hiking a ways, then going into a deep, steep gorge and immediately up the other side, and then we camped very near where we came out of the gorge. And that is where the water pump was, which I remember being our water supply. It didn't pump water very fast, but it was enough. I think it was a severe drought year, so if there were any streams close by, they might have been dry.
    That was the same campsite. It is just as you leave the Caney Creek Gorge. There are three well pumps (supposedly). They've been decomissioned because folks messed with them so much. But there is supposed to be one at each backcountry campsite, with no handle.

We passed the one at Campsite 1 where we had lunch also. The one in the picture here is at Campsite 2 on Lower Loop. There is also one at the campsite on the Upper Loop Overnight Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    Great trip report ...
    Were those Grizzbeaks on your Big Mamajamba or were they the doors from Warbonnet Outdoors? Great stuff ....
    They are the new doors from Warbonnet. I love the stealthy green of this new tarp and the doors are very well-designed. In warm weather, I'll leave them and four stakes at home and save 8 or so ounces. In winter, with cold wind blowing, they are well worth the weight.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Great pics and looks like you had a great time. I used to live in TN and actually learned to drive a car on the road from Pikeville to Fall Creek Falls. Can you still see your tail lights as you goaround the curves? LOL I heard they had filmed part of the Jungle Book live action movie at Fall Creek Falls. I did come across this for Lost Creek Cave:
    http://www.uppercumberlandcaving.net...lostcreek.html

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Awesome report/pic's BearPaw. I can't wait to get back in the woods...

• + New Posts