Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new to hammocks need help...lol

hello i am new to hammocks and need help ordering one. they ask all kinds of questions when trying to order one i am 6 foot 3'' and 210 lbs i am not worried about hammock weight as much as i am about being comfortable. any help with how to order or what to order would be great as i don't know what way i would lay in a hammock head left or right how do you figure that out? thanks in advance

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe make sure to get a symmetrical hammock.....you can lay head left or right.
    Get a thicker fabric like a hexon 1.6 rated to 300 pounds for a single layer or a 1.6 hyperD holds 275 pounds or a 1.7 Blackbird holds 250 pounds.
    Or
    At your height an 11' hammock may suit you best.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Hey there 5-0, welcome! At your height, you will want nothing shorter than an 11 foot hammock. As far as direction of lay, I think the only way to determine that is by trying both ways. Of course, you could probably train yourself to sleep in either direction if you don't already have a preference. Maybe consider a hammock that allows you to change the direction. The Dutchware Chameleon is one (I have one and can highly recommend it), and I am sure most of the cottage vendors who make quality gear will offer one as well. Also, at your weight, a material like the Hexon 1.6 would probably be about right...but, some like a little more stretch in the fabric (think 1.1 oz, but I think that is usually listed at about 200 lb max), while others prefer a stiffer fabric or even a double layer hammock. For me, I think the Hexon 1.6 is perfect and I currently weight just under 200 lbs, but at one time I was almost 230 and it was still perfect. If you don't have the luxury of trying various hammocks out for lay direction or fabric choice, I would recommend the 1.6 since it is basically a mid-range fabric, and a 11 footer that allows you to lay either direction. If you buy from one of the quality cottage vendors that are popular here on HF, I think you'll be happy. The other big choice is gathered end vs bridge hammock. Each has their enthusiastic fan base!
    Good luck with your choice, and remember, if you buy a nice hammock and find that it just doesn't suit you for whatever reason, you can likely sell it on the For Sale forum here without taking too much of a haircut on it, and then try something else.

Hey
    Welcome aboard!
    There is a lot of useful info here on the forum to help you find what's best for you.
    A lot will depend on your mission-
    We have everything from occasional backyard bbq hangers to hardcore backpackers that sleep in their hammocks for weeks on end. Most of us are somewhere in the middle...

I'm 6ft 2, and I would recommend looking at the longer 11ft gathered end hammocks to stretch out in.

Most right handed people lay with their head to the left, looking up at the sky.

One thing I would highly recommend is to take your time and learn about all the options you have, and what makes sense to spend a little more for the gear that fits your need. It can be inexpensive to hang, but there also is a direct cost-to-quality aftermarket that can make life easier if you want to invest more for things like durability, weight, warmth, cheeseburger printed fabric...

Have fun with it. It's a whole new world you're climbing into and researching stuff is half the fun

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bam!

Forgot to mention the great family mentality here too

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

thanks for the info what do you think about the Amock Draumr XL that is coming out? I was thinking about that, do you have to have under quilts with that or can you just use a sleeping bag and the pad?

what are your thoughts on the Amok Amock Draumr XL that is coming out?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-0 Adventures View Post
    thanks for the info what do you think about the Amock Draumr XL that is coming out? I was thinking about that, do you have to have under quilts with that or can you just use a sleeping bag and the pad?
    Amok Draumr is a pad dependent hammock. I reckon you could mess with fitting a UQ on there but I never have.
    It is a completely different hammock than a gathered end hammock.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.6 Hexon Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    I’d start with an affordable netless hammock to start testing out hanging, to see if you like it. I went that route with a dutchware netless and have been very pleased

Quote Originally Posted by airoot View Post
    I’d start with an affordable netless hammock to start testing out hanging, to see if you like it. I went that route with a dutchware netless and have been very pleased
    +1 on this advice. In 2014 on a whim I bought an 11-foot hammock from Dutchware Gear. It's 1.6 Argon fabric. Four years later it's still going strong. I've been able to change suspensions on it to see what I liked. I've added a ridgeline, an underquilt, a top quilt, a bug net and have played with three different tarps. All of this gear swapping/experimenting has taken place around one netless inexpensive quality hammock. You might like to get started with a different fabric, like maybe one of the 2.4 weights for a little less stretch, but I'd definitely recommend trying a plain netless 11-footer. Several vendors offer some version of this type of hammock to which you can add accessories as you figure out what you want/need.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast