Thread: Burrow Econ 30

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    I have a "premium" Incubator that I got before the Econ series came around. I have an Econ burrow to go with it. There's the part of me that wants to sell the econ and go with the premium. It's not so much the fabric, but the smell of the duck down. Whenever there is high humidity the down stinks to the point I dont want to use it. It still hasn't "aired" out. But it's only a few months old so maybe by next spring it will be good.
    Have you tried washing it and letting it to dry outside?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    UCR/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    I have a "premium" Incubator that I got before the Econ series came around. I have an Econ burrow to go with it. There's the part of me that wants to sell the econ and go with the premium. It's not so much the fabric, but the smell of the duck down. Whenever there is high humidity the down stinks to the point I dont want to use it. It still hasn't "aired" out. But it's only a few months old so maybe by next spring it will be good.
    I have a new Econ 20 Burrow and haven't noticed any gamey smell. Used a few times after after rains (but not during rain or very high humidity). Just curious - any other users noticed a gamey smell from their Econ quilts?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakAR View Post
    I have a new Econ 20 Burrow and haven't noticed any gamey smell. Used a few times after after rains (but not during rain or very high humidity). Just curious - any other users noticed a gamey smell from their Econ quilts?
    I haven't noticed any smells. I have 2 Econ Incubators and 1 Econ Burrow. I've used all of them in damp and wet weather although none have them have actually gotten wet.
    Last edited by bcliff; 11-19-2018 at 20:04. Reason: more info

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakAR View Post
    I think it's just a matter of luck. I probably had 12 or more HG quilts over the years (no Econ) and one had the wet dog smell. It was very slight and seemed to go away completely. Probably from a dirty goose with bad hygiene.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I think it's just a matter of luck. I probably had 12 or more HG quilts over the years (no Econ) and one had the wet dog smell. It was very slight and seemed to go away completely. Probably from a dirty goose with bad hygiene.
    I was talking to one of the quilt guys at MAHHA last fall (I think it was George from Loco Libre but I could be wrong) and he mentioned some batches of down came in to several quilt makers where the DWR treatment had that doggish smell to it if it got damp.

I have an Burrow Econ 30 Long Wide and got to test its limit the other night. I'm currently running it with a Loco Libre Saver Series Habernaro underquilt 30 at 55". Wearing just a base layer, they kept me warm until 4:30am at 28-30 degrees with strong winds. I put on my puffy and slept well til 6am. I'm thinking about getting a Phoenix Econ 20 degree next!!
    I haven't had any issues with any smell, but it hasn't gotten wet yet.

Hammock
    DangerBird #4284
    Tarp
    CG Hex | HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Strap
    I haven't noticed any gamey smell with my HG Econ quilts over the last year. They are awesome quilts, I just wish I had the long quilts. The last night I went out was so wet everything was covered in extreme condensation. When I got home the quilts drip dried when I hung them up. Still no funny smells.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself -Amelia Earhart

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    I have placed an order for an Econ incubator underquilt. Glad to hear that the smelly quilts are issues from the past. Looking forward to my new quilt due in a few weeks

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I was talking to one of the quilt guys at MAHHA last fall (I think it was George from Loco Libre but I could be wrong) and he mentioned some batches of down came in to several quilt makers where the DWR treatment had that doggish smell to it if it got damp.
    Actually the smell comes from the product the down distributors use to wash their down. It's the same stuff dog groomers use, and if the down is damp it will emit that smell that some associate with "wet dog".That explanation came to me directly from downtek. As long as the drying process is thorough and the down is stored properly it shouldn't smell.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Actually the smell comes from the product the down distributors use to wash their down. It's the same stuff dog groomers use, and if the down is damp it will emit that smell that some associate with "wet dog".That explanation came to me directly from downtek. As long as the drying process is thorough and the down is stored properly it shouldn't smell.
    Thank you, I knew I might have some of the specifics confused. It makes sense that it would be from the treatment, down in and of itself doesn’t really have much smell to it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast