View Poll Results: How do you feel about going solo?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never tried it...

24 12.97%
  • Tried it but it's not for me..

6 3.24%
  • I am solo about 50% of the time or more..

71 38.38%
  • I am solo almost all the time..

84 45.41%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I enjoyed the responses in the recent post about having the Mojo to go solo..

Curious how you all feel about solo in the woods. I enjoy time on the trail with others.. good conversation, sharing the experience and inevitably I learn something new. However, to really recharge I need to be alone. Responsible for only myself, moving at my own pace based only on my whims.

How do you feel about going solo??
    I am right there with you. Like the company of like minded folks but love the solitude of the solo hang. Nothing quite like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Anyone that cancels due to weather must be retired or unemployed...or something that allows them reschedule easily.

It's hard enough to find time on the calendar, then get off work, then clear it with the THE BOSS. So once it's set, it's happening no matter what the weather because the next chance may not be very soon.
    It's also a matter of reliability - some folks feel an obligation to fulfill something they said they would do, and others don't. Are you reliable? You know if you are or you aren't.

Both my sons and my daughter will try to cancel a trip in a heartbeat if there's precipitation in the forecast. They just don't like precipitation. However, if I've already paid for a canoe rental, or a campsite, I force them to go. Now that they know my thinking, we rarely go camping together because there ain't no backing out because of a raindrop.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Solo 50% of the time or more.....

Solo a fair amount. Easier to film a solo trip.
    My showbiz schedule leaves me weekdays and most of my friends work weekdays.
    Plus I am a last minute backpacker....see some time open on my calendar and grab and go.
    So I grab and go and get gone.
    Shug
    Couldn't agree more. I work restaurants so mid weeks are my off times and everyone else has the weekends off. A last minute guy who flys by the seat of his pants
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Anyone that cancels due to weather must be retired or unemployed...or something that allows them reschedule easily.

It's hard enough to find time on the calendar, then get off work, then clear it with the THE BOSS. So once it's set, it's happening no matter what the weather because the next chance may not be very soon.
    What he said! I would say over the past couple years I've morphed a little more toward going on a group versus solo. Some years, the majority of my trips were solo, when I could sneak away for a couple days when I had some open time on my calendar. Or, I'd just do a quick overnight loop to the only rustic backcountry site at a state rec area an hour away. Haven't been out there since last November due to an obscene fee increase and overuse.

This year, I only went on one solo trip of 3 days and another overnighter where I met up with friends. I did more multi day (3 to 5 day) trips with my core group of pals from HF. Winter trips are always group trips. I always do backyard hangs, but that doesn't really count, I guess.

I still like getting out on solo trips and look forward to it. I think part of the issue is finding new places to go. Now I'm on "repeat" mode and find it tough to get motivated to go out and re-hike something I've already done.

I guess I can't complain too much since I still get out at least 30 to 35 days a year. Not a bad run!
    Last edited by michigandave; 09-19-2018 at 05:16.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Is camping with a pet considered solo? I like camping with my 1.5 year-old beagle Joey, but he's a demanding sort, and not well trained. He dictates everything: when to eat, when to go to bed, when to get up and take a walk, etc. On solo hikes, he's made me to go bed at 9 pm - which I don't find remotely amusing. I'm more of an 11 or 12 kind of person.

Group hangs distract Joey - there's so much excitement that he'll just fall asleep in my lap, or pass out next to me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I prefer to go with one or two people. A bit more enjoyable to hang out around the fire and chat. But with schedules and all, I end up going out to do stuff solo at least 50% of the time. I just about always fish solo on day trips or weekends. But again I have enjoyed the trips with others. My schedule can be pretty flexible but most others that I know have a harder time getting days off.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Solo trips are where you gain confidence in your abilities to handle whatever Mother Nature may throw at you.

No longer being physically able to hike, at least not very far, I am stuck car camping. However, when I did hike I hiked a lot, solo. As others have said, no one available to go with me. I totally enjoyed the time alone, the knowledge that I had only myself to depend on, or to be concerned about. No such thing as a schedule, just do what needed to be done when it needed doing. Wonderful memories, thanks to the OP for this thread.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I don't mind backpacking with a good companion. However, at my age more often than not that just doesn't happen. So solo we go.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    I like to be alone most of time. It does not mean that I'm not happy with someone or with a group. It depends on my state of mind.
    When I'm in a group of friends frequently I used to go away to be isolated for some time...I always hang my hammock a little distant from the others. I think I feel better with myself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast