Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Set up in the driving rain and stayed dry

I went to St. Croix state park in Minnesota this weekend for an adventure race. The weather was nice in Minneapolis when we started, but by the time we got there well after dark it was dumping buckets and buckets. Since we didn't know when/if the rain was going to stop, my teammate and I decided to make camp. We had an 8:30 am start and good night's sleep generally enhances one's ability to survive the course.

He had a Eureka A frame tent, and it got soaked. He had to invert the corners to pour the water out. His camp pad was wet. I think his sleeping bag stayed dry.

I had a Hennessy Hyperlight with the large Hennessy poly fly. I set the fly up first and then, while under its protection I set up my hammock, pulled my sleeping bag from the plastic covered compression sack, pulled my clothes out of their bag, and got everything ready. Nothing got wet but my rain jacket and my boots which I was wearing.

Just after we had set up, the rain stopped, the clouds vanished and I spent the next twenty minutes staring at the Milky Way. Awesome.

I slept really well.

I love my hammock and I love the separate fly.

By the way, I am now on my fifth or more hanging session with the panther cleats first identified by ALHikerGal. I still haven't been dropped on my head.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I love hearing of ground dwellers having a miserable night while in the company of a hanger. I bet your friend was looking at your setup with envy.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I love hearing of ground dwellers having a miserable night while in the company of a hanger. I bet your friend was looking at your setup with envy.
    I too would rejoice in this, even though he is my friend and I was counting on him for the race the next day, but, alas, he did not have a miserable night.

He suffers from insomnia on good nights; so, he took a sleep aid on Friday and slept well despite the weather. Oh well. I can only hope that he'll suffer next time

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I like to call that the Time of Conversion. It's the perfect chance for a ground dweller who is miserable and wet and whatever else to see how wonderful and comfortable hammocks really are and make the choice between comfort and continuing in their poor, miserable ground dwelling ways. Personally, my conversion wasn't so extreme, but I'd probably wager that it's safe to say more than one hammocker has been converted like that.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I like to call that the Time of Conversion. It's the perfect chance for a ground dweller who is miserable and wet and whatever else to see how wonderful and comfortable hammocks really are and make the choice between comfort and continuing in their poor, miserable ground dwelling ways. Personally, my conversion wasn't so extreme, but I'd probably wager that it's safe to say more than one hammocker has been converted like that.

playing devils advocate here but a hammock had nothing to do with it The tarp is what kept him dry. I know lots of folks who carry a lite weight tarp just for those sudden downpours while setting up camp. Also most folks who use just a bivy carry a tarp

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    playing devils advocate here but a hammock had nothing to do with it The tarp is what kept him dry. I know lots of folks who carry a lite weight tarp just for those sudden downpours while setting up camp. Also most folks who use just a bivy carry a tarp
    Good point. And to that I would say if he hadn't had a hammock, he very well may not have had a tarp. He may or may not, we'll never know. I'm just glad the man was comfy in his hammock just like all the world should be.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    The tarp protects equally only for water from above, ground-dwellers also have to worry about ground water ( does that make me a devils advocate deviler?)

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    The tarp protects equally only for water from above, ground-dwellers also have to worry about ground water ( does that make me a devils advocate deviler?)
    No, it just makes you correct.

Images

another thing to consider is

if it keeps raining! If you have a tarp, and a spot with really good drainage, and the tarp is big enough and tight to the ground, and the sideways wind driven rain isn't too bad or from the wrong direction--- you'll probably stay dry. I know I have. If the drainage is poor or some other problem from one of the above and you are on the ground, you might have some of the same problem as Freetheweasel's tenting buddy. BUT, If the downpours had continued thru the night, I think FTW would have had an aditional advantage by being off the ground. At least, if a creek decided to start flowing thru the camp or a little pond apeared! Of course, I realize none of us smart experienced backpackers would ever chose a site without superb drainage!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i remember the last time i used a tarp on the ground & had heavy rain.
    i had carefully choose a slightly raised area to put the tarp over, even though the whole area around us was a fairly flat, open wooded area.
    the ground was mostly sandy, at least on top.
    but it rained so hard that the ground became completely saturated & began to puddle.
    the water began to rise around my raised mound, under the edges of the tarp.
    i could see that it would soon reach my stuff if i didn't do something.
    as i looked around, i could see that the ground on one side was still slightly lower, so i moved my ground cloth & drug a narrow trench in the sand that allowed the water to run through from one side to the other side & off to lower ground.
    soon the rain slacked off so it was no longer forming a lake on top of the ground.
    never had that problem w/ a hammock<g>. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast