DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket

Darien with Hennessy Supershelter

Does anyone have any experience using a Hennessey Supershelter with a Darien? I'm seriously considering splurging for an 11' x 63" Darien. I would feel better about the purchase if I can avoid having to also buy an underquilt. I currently own a HHSS #1 Zip and a HHSS #1 Classic (which seems less ideal). Cost aside, I like the weight and modularity of the HHSS, so it would be nice to be able to make it work. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unwordedly View Post
    Does anyone have any experience using a Hennessey Supershelter with a Darien? I'm seriously considering splurging for an 11' x 63" Darien. I would feel better about the purchase if I can avoid having to also buy an underquilt. I currently own a HHSS #1 Zip and a HHSS #1 Classic (which seems less ideal). Cost aside, I like the weight and modularity of the HHSS, so it would be nice to be able to make it work. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

WOW! What are the odds? The only reason I have not started a new thread about FINALLY trying my HHSS on my Claytor No Net is laziness. I was just out in the woods today working with that, and it worked great.

But I know nothing about a Darien, sorry to say. But, using my HHSS #2 on the 10 ft X 4 ft(48") Claytor, it was a bit too big, especially too long, for optimum tension, but I was able to come up with a couple of quick mods to make up for that, and was soon amazed at how warm it was. Actually a good bit warmer than an UQ of the same weight I had just been using, probably due to wind block and VB effect of the space blanket.

But you, conversely, have the smaller #1 and are wanting to use it on an 11 X 5.25 ft(63") hammock. Wow, hard to say. I don't think width would be a problem, and I do't need to use the tie outs, but I don't know about length. The Expedition zip is 10 ft long, same as my Claytor. Can it be made to work with the #1 SS? I do not know. Can you get the hammock on trial? Do you have access to another 11 ft hammock you can try it on?

Main thing is: once you have the HHSS installed on another hammock, push down on the bottom of the under cover and make sure you have adequate slack- that you ar able to push it well below the hammock- to make sure there is not too much tension that would compress the pad too much or damage the UC.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Main thing is: once you have the HHSS installed on another hammock, push down on the bottom of the under cover and make sure you have adequate slack- that you ar able to push it well below the hammock- to make sure there is not too much tension that would compress the pad too much or damage the UC.
    Thanks for the advice! Since it would be a custom hammock, there's no way to try it beforehand. I'm inclined to try it and see if I can make it work. With a longer hammock and shorter HHSS, maybe it will even out in the end.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    unwordedly,

I'm afraid I don't have the answer for you. At one time I did own a HHSS and took it clear down to about 29ºF in reasonable comfort. I've long since sold off all of this gear so I don't have a way to check this for you.

If you get ahold of me, I think we can work out a way for us to send you something so you can test this out. I can be reached via email at [email protected]

Thanks
    Randy

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    If you get ahold of me, I think we can work out a way for us to send you something so you can test this out.
    Awesome, thanks for the offer! I'll reach out over email.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    Randy and the Dream Hammock team worked with me to customize a hammock that works with the HHSS. I haven't done an overnight in it yet, but it seems like it should work as intended.

Another testament to the great customer support and flexibility of the Dream Hammock team! Thanks again for indulging my little experiment (and for answering my numerous emails)!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unwordedly View Post
    Randy and the Dream Hammock team worked with me to customize a hammock that works with the HHSS. I haven't done an overnight in it yet, but it seems like it should work as intended.

Another testament to the great customer support and flexibility of the Dream Hammock team! Thanks again for indulging my little experiment (and for answering my numerous emails)!
    YAY! Let us know how well(or poorly) it works, and if you can keep on avoiding additional insulation purchases! If you don't already do so, don't forget the ability to add unworn or unused insulation(anything from a down vest to a quilt, fleece jackets and down vets together work great) under the pad(or lighter stuff even on top of the pad but still under the space blanket) for a big boost once you reach the HHSS's limits(about 30F for me, some folks higher, some lower)

Images
    I own a Darin bought it used here on the forum I also own a the HHSS.
    My HHSS was build for the HH expedition their cheapest shortest narrowest hammock made. My Darin is 11'x60"
    I have never tried installing it but in my mind the HHSS will just be too small.
    I think you would have coverage issues since the Darin really allows you to get diaginal in your lay and the undercover has a fixed length for a <10" hammock IMO.

Here's my darin Sorry no picts of HH

• + New Posts