Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Hanging In The Desert

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    Okay...I've been scouring and e-mailing every possible site on this subject.( Since last fall) I hang, but to go to Cave Creek, above Phoenix, in April, I have no clear answer if I should take my hammock and pray or take my tent and save my knees. The pics I have mangaged to look at to see what types of trees/wood I could hang from is not working. Looks really snarly, few and far between, just the cactus looks promising. Anyone here experienced in the desert? Can one hang from the huge cactus there? If not don't feel bad, I'll just tent it and KNOW I'll be okay and suffer the 3# weight. I don't want creepy crawlies so tent was 1st option.
    Hi Boarstone:

I live just a bit south of Cave Creek and I know the area pretty well. It is beginning to suffer from urban sprawl and there are new roads, off road vehicles, and construction in some of the spots that used to be quite isolated. But, if you want to hang in that area, you can do it. Sometimes groups of desert trees worthy of a hammock are few and far between in the Sonoran Desert. Having said that, there are 15' - 20' Mesquite & Palo Verde trees that provide hammock hanging opportunities in the Cave Creek area. Be gentle with them. Look for dry washes, arroyos, and low areas where bosques sometimes occur. I recommend that you stay away from Saguaros and other cacti for hanging purposes. They are protected and tend to fall. One of our good friends lost his teenage son; crushed by a Saguaro in a car accident. The rock hanger method for setting up a hammock in the desert is another option. Bottom line; I think you might have fun if you "go for it".

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

Spur Cross/Cave Creek hike

Okay here goes: I ended up taking my tent and must say I'm glad I did. When a tree(s) did present themselves they were choked with prickly underbrush.
    I got off to a late start, my shuttle person didn't understand "early" concept. (relative) So at 11 a.m. Friday I was in the heat of the day starting off and not a happy camper but stuck with it and made the best of it. I was in awe as I hiked toward Trail #4 and the Tonto NF boundry. There was evidence all along the washes and creeks of high water damage. Lots of the trail was washed out after the first creek crossing. It only got worse so I had to do a lot of dry creek bed walking. I didn't get as far as I wanted but I kept myself safe rather than risk getting into a situation I wouldn't come back from.
    It is an envirnment that can kill you pretty quickly I could see that. I went up probably 3 miles or so on #4 and camped by mid afternoon. I dilly-dailied and took all kinds of photos. I got to see the massive amount of volcanic rock in the creek beds, very interesting. The day temps were in the 90's and overnight it dropped down to 42*. I came out Sat. a.m. and sat at the picnic table at Spur Cross TH where the murial painted metal shipping container is. While awaiting p/u I got to see and photograph a huge rattlesnake. For those out there in the area: there is a nest of them under the forklift channels under the box container.
    Things I'd do different: take a FREE STANDING tent, I had to look for sand in the creek bed to stake out and use rocks. A warmer bag ( I have just ordered a Marmot 15* down bag) and allow more time to explore more. I got the chance to experience the area and now have "the feel". I'd go earlier like March. I'd prefer cooler days. The silnylon tent rainfly I made to replace the heavy one for my tent worked out well. Cut down on the bulk and weight.
    I hope to upload pics here, not all of them as it's over 200, but the highlights and the nicer ones. I'd love to go back and do the #4 hike from Spur Cross over to Seven Springs, about 10 miles but a good overnight or two to explore the area. Matty's fork behind Skull Mesa is one place I was wanting to go.
    All in all I had a great time short as it was. I did get to see the White Tanks area, not as nice as Cave Creek and do the tourist thing for a day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Look forward to seeing the pics, snakes and all.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

Cave Creek pics

My pics won't upload so here is a link to my facebook album:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=af8ccdcd66

• + New Posts