Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Images

Chameleon tieouts question

I received my new Chameleon yesterday, set it up and spent the night in it. I really like the Chameleon but I am having trouble adjusting the tieouts. The cord is so elastic that when I lay diagonally it was as if they weren't even there. I had them pulled fairly tight. What am I doing wrong.....how tight do you adjust them.....has any one replaced them with non-elastic cord?

Thanks

Images
    Hmm... they work pretty well for me. I almost always use one at the head end, but not always at the foot end. Netting/fabric on my face bothers me more than it drooping on my feet. I either tie them to a tarp corner or to a separate stake in the ground. They usually do a pretty good job of opening up the hammock and preventing extra fabric drooping. I attach them to the 2 D-rings nearest the ends. One of those D-rings shares a loop with a pack hook for quilt suspension.

Did you clip both tie-out lineloc hooks to the same D-ring by chance? I'm not even sure that should cause the problem you're describing.

Are you pulling the tie outs perpendicular to the hammock or at an angle roughly in-line with your diagonal lay? I pull them on a diagonal (like the tarp corner example).

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Hmm... they work pretty well for me. I almost always use one at the head end, but not always at the foot end. Netting/fabric on my face bothers me more than it drooping on my feet. I either tie them to a tarp corner or to a separate stake in the ground. They usually do a pretty good job of opening up the hammock and preventing extra fabric drooping. I attach them to the 2 D-rings nearest the ends. One of those D-rings shares a loop with a pack hook for quilt suspension.

Did you clip both tie-out lineloc hooks to the same D-ring by chance? I'm not even sure that should cause the problem you're describing.

Are you pulling the tie outs perpendicular to the hammock or at an angle roughly in-line with your diagonal lay? I pull them on a diagonal (like the tarp corner example).
    Attached them to the 2 separate D rings closest to the end. Then used a stake set perpendicular to the hammock. Didn't like that, so moved them to the corner of the tarp as you described. That was better. Perhaps I am expecting something that they are not designed to do. They do keep the bug net off my face and they pull the hammock's edge out somewhat. I had in my mind that they almost created a shelf to allow for a flatter lay. If they are just designed to pull the edge and bug net out somewhat, they are working as designed.

Images
    My only expectation of them is to pull the excess netting or hammock fabric away from my face/feet. Without them attached, the bugnet gets in my face a bit, which is more noticeable on my symmetrical bugnet than it would be on the asym bugnet. I see you have a wide, so the tieouts have even more fabric to try to take up than they would on a standard width.

If you ever set up a tarp in porch mode, with trekking poles, for example, looping the tie-out cord around the trekking pole is another good option.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I personally do not use the tie outs but it sounds like you just need to tighten them up.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd move them down a d-ring and stretch on tight.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Even with moving them, I do not think you'll notice much other than keeping material, etc off your face.

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Even with moving them, I do not think you'll notice much other than keeping material, etc off your face.
    Yea, I played with them this afternoon with the same results. They do keep the net/edge of my face as intended. In any event, I'm very happy with the hammock. Thanks

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    They don't eliminate sway if that's what you're looking for. They just keep the fabric away from you and spread out the hammock si it's easier to get in or out of.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    Personally, my tieouts work very well as far as holding the Chameleon and stopping it from swaying. You might want to check and be sure that the tensioners are threaded correctly. When my Chameleon arrived, one of the tensioners was threaded incorrectly and wouldn't hold tension. If that's the case with yours it's an easy fix.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast