Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I need help from some GA hangers. Near Toccoa

I am looking for a place to car camp in the Toccoa, Ga area sometime near the end of the month. I live in Abbeville, SC and don't want to drive more than about 2.5 to 3 hours. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh yeah - I am also cheap
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey - like
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    c-wing:

I don't know of any campgrounds with facilities that are open this time of year in those parts. IF you travel further north past Clayton then you can stay at Black Rock Mountain State Park. Nice place.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    There is Tugaloo State Park, and Hart State park, both are not too far off 85.

I'm not as familiar with Hart SP, but at Tugaloo, there are some primitive sites available, so you don't have to be in the crowded campground if you dont want to be (and there are a lot more trees!)

Tugaloo is not far from Toccoa (maybe 15 mins) towards the interstate.

There are some hiking trails there, and fishing in Lake Hartwell. Lots of wildlife too. Just a heads up if you go there- there's a skunk that frequents the campsites. He's a cute spotted skunk who is not afraid of humans in the least. I've never heard of him spraying as long as you just let him go on about his business.

If you need more info, feel free to PM me.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Were you planning on other activities for during the day? Hiking, boating, site seeing,...? Between Abeville and Toccoa there are a lot of places though some may not be what you are looking for. Lake Hartwell has lake side camping and is also not too far from Toccoa. Panther Creek Campground and Talulah Gorge State Park are nice also.

If you do make it to Toccoa, there is a very nice museum in town for the Parachute Infantry Regiments (Band of Brothers) and Currahee Mtn has some trails all around it though I don't think they are suitable for car camping.
    Last edited by cavscout; 03-02-2010 at 00:07.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Victoria Bryant State Park in Royston, GA.
    Hiking trails are good for family hikes, not very strenuous. Downside is they follow the golf course for a little ways, so you don't really have the "wilderness" feel. The Broad River there in the park is very scenic.

There is a pretty neat spot at the Terrora Dam on Lake Yonah in Toccoa. There is a port a potty there so I assume you can car camp. I've only seen it from the water.

I love Burrells Ford in South Carolina on the Chattooga. It's a hike in campground, but down a gravel road about 1/2 mile. When we take the kids, we pull a wagon down the gravel road. Like car camping, but without the slamming car doors all night.

If you can go a little further to Lakemont or towards Clayton, Black Rock Mtn and all of the mountain areas are awesome. I think Rabun Beach is closed this time of year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    There are tons of options - all over the Chattahoochee national forest there are hiking trails with free parking, and since it's national forest, and not park, camping is allowed almost anywhere, as long as you're far enough from the road.

If you are willing to consider the Helen area, instead of Toccoa, there are a lot of great places to camp too. One awesome option is Raven Cliff Falls - there are a number of established campsites, some with parking right at the site, and some along the Raven Cliff Falls Trail. If you don't mind hauling your gear in a few hundred yards, you can get gorgeous campsites, right next to the river, and fall asleep to the sound of rushing water.

You'd also have the benefit of being able to visit the touristy, but fun stuff in Helen, and there are a lot of good hiking trails that head to beautiful waterfalls in the area. I bet they look very different now, compared to the last time I was there, with all the snow and cold weather that they've been having back east.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey Chicken Wing,
    There are a lot of places on Lake Hartwell, not too far from Abbeville. I can recommend Sadlers Creek State Park, loop 1 site 15. I will be camping there again in June. It is at the end of the loop, so if you have neighbors, it will only be on one side. Woods directly behind the site with plenty of hanging options. You can make reservations on-line.

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll repeat everywhere that has been said, Panther Creek, Raven Cliff Falls, Unicoi State park, Lake tugaloo. All of these areas amazing parts of NE GA
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

• + New Posts