Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

CO>Northern Front Range>Planning Thread>Front Range Halloween Hang 2018

Come one come all - I am planning a trip from Thursday 11/1-Friday 11/2 in or around Northern Colorado's Front Range (Boulder North to potentially Vedawoo in Wyoming or around the Cheyenne Laramie Area) and would love some company if anyone is interested - I will not stay the whole weekend but I had originally planned Thursday to Sunday. I will be meeting up with college buddies in Laramie Wyoming Friday, 11/2, in the afternoon so perhaps closer to Laramie, but again I am not too particular. I live in Fort Collins so anything planned can't be too far from here. PM and we can firm up details. As this get's closer I will have more information for all who are interested. Any suggestions would be awesome - I have hammock camped the Redfeather Lakes Area, as well as Montgomery Pass (near Walden, CO off HWY 14 near Cameron Pass) but am game for just about anything. I don't want to hike in further than about 5-6 miles in if it can be helped as time could potentially be an issue, and I don't want to drive further than about an hour for the same reasons.
    Last edited by GilligansWorld; 10-10-2018 at 18:02. Reason: Title Change
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I'm a maybe, and will subscribe to this thread. Depends on forecast too; 20 degree is my lower limit.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    first snow.jpg
    Looks like it could be a colder year for sure - Snowing today
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Dispersed Camping.JPG
    Nice - This makes things a bit easier - I think I have the perfect spot in mind but any suggetstions welcome.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Site has been found - See the picture but if you google map Longitude 40.779597, Lattitude -105.53797 Should bring you to the parking area for the Trail Head. According to the forest service literature there are 5 developed sites after you hike in about 2.5 miles, and then you have several other designated Dipsersed Campsites after you reach an area called "five points" which is where 5 trails actually meet up approximately 2.5-3 miles up the trail. Any how see below and hope to see some of you folks. PM if you are thinking of attending so we can coordinate. Weather looks to be crappy starting Halloween night but gradually gets better.
    Mt. Margaret.jpg
    Last edited by GilligansWorld; 10-27-2018 at 18:53. Reason: Correction

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Well the weather is looking better. I think this is going to be a great hang. Right outside of Dowdy Lake can't get better fishing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Images
    I am curious as I haven't been in conditions cold enough with a tarp - IE for the same reasons you mentioned I have always been "Naked under the stars" when it was below 20* or so - any how I have a trip planned for thursday and am debating bringing my UQP and the tarp or just the tarp. This trip will go for at least 2 days and I don't want to be wet on day 2. Lows are around 28* right not and moisture doesn't appear to be an issue. Suggestions? Trip plans are below but any suggestions are welcome. Hoping to try out some gear though - specifically my internal pole mods on the tarp and some stoves I have been playing with.

hammockforums.net/forum/...ween-Hang-2018
    Hi Gilly,
    I am a big fan of under the stars when conditions allow it.
    If you are retired like me you can pick and choose when to go means almost every trip you will have those famous blue bird days.

I do like a breathable UQ protector to help hold in the warmth should the wind pick up.

Small tips:
    It never hurts to have the hot water bottle trick handy.
    Should the weatherman lie to you it could make the difference between a fun frosty adventure or freeze you arse off survival.

If you have a dedicated set of insulated winter hiking boots heres a small trick that can really save you should the trail turn icy.

Disregard the kick-a-poo cleats the trick is the 1/4" long SS sheetmetal screws strategically placed in the cleats of the boots.
    Just remember to never walk across your wifes hardwood floor with these boot on. Ask me how I know. HaHa

Have fun I hope you'll take some picts and share them with us.
    Last edited by attroll; 01-05-2019 at 17:02.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Gilly,
    I am a big fan of under the stars when conditions allow it.
    If you are retired like me you can pick and choose when to go means almost every trip you will have those famous blue bird days.

I do like a breathable UQ protector to help hold in the warmth should the wind pick up.

Small tips:
    It never hurts to have the hot water bottle trick handy.
    Should the weatherman lie to you it could make the difference between a fun frosty adventure or freeze you arse off survival.

If you have a dedicated set of insulated winter hiking boots heres a small trick that can really save you should the trail turn icy.

Disregard the kick-a-poo cleats the trick is the 1/4" long SS sheetmetal screws strategically placed in the cleats of the boots.
    Just remember to never walk across your wifes hardwood floor with these boot on. Ask me how I know. HaHa

Have fun I hope you'll take some picts and share them with us.
    Most certainly will have pictures but I plan on filming too so I should have a video to post depending........

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Lots of fun but Windy. I discovered a few things though;
    *Back up cooking systems essential (brought 3 and used them all)
    *I have to reduce my load
    *UGQ and Wilderness Logics make badass gear.
    *My Tarp is awesome

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Images
    I enjoyed the pictures thanks. What cooking systems did you bring and test?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast