Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The last couple of summer camps (Boy Scout) actually sold hammocks at the trading post. My thing as a leader in our Troop is to teach the boys about responsible hanging such as using proper straps,etc Next step is to get them making their own gear

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I walked into the Visitors Center at Vogel State Park here in Georgia about 3 weeks ago and nearly fainted.They had a popular brand of hammock for sale on the shelf nearest the cash register!So I did not ask if hammocks were allowed in the park.......
    I've never had an issue hanging in GA state parks. I think many, if not all, of their park offices have hammocks for sale now. I just spent the past weekend hanging in Stephen C Foster St Park in the Okeefenokee also.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    If there is nothing in the Guide to Safe Scouting that prohibits hammocks, they can not do that. Our council here in Michigan sells hammocks in the National Scout Shop that they run.

I would ask to see the national policy that they are referring to that prohibits hammocks.

I am not trying to thro fuel on the fire but there is a reason for national policies.
    I'm also a Scoutmaster. Just because national BSA doesn't prohibit it does not mean that the Council can't prohibit it within their camp. They are free to make that policy applicable to their Council Camp. In the OP, he mentions that they don't strictly prohibit units from hammock camping. They can hang in other camping venues. Just not the Council Camp. That doesn't go against any national policy. BTW, our Scout Shop & camp trading posts also sales hammock and I've used my hammock there for many years.

Another example of this would be allowing Scouts to have electronics on outing or meetings. National policy does not prohibit Scouts from having electronics/ cell phones while on an outing. Many Troops have a policy against it though. Many Scouts will leave their cell phones in the Scoutmaster's vehicle for the duration of the outing. Units, and Councils, are free to enact policies that are more restrictive than National BSA Policy. They are not free to allow something that is specifically banned, whether in the Guide to Safe Scouting, or other policy. When a Council enacts a more restrictive policy, it generally is enforceable at their Council properties or events (i.e. Camporees, Day Camps, etc). Units within that Council are not obligated to follow the more restrictive policies when they are not at Council properties or events.
    Last edited by awanatech; 10-11-2018 at 23:54.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Too many people hang and use hammocks in the wrong way so the easiest way to regulate this is to simply ban them. You can thank the common variety hammock sold at all the store to the uneducated masses for this. It's only going to get worse if what I see on our local trails continues. Good luck with changing their minds.
    The same can be said of common variety tents set up by uneducated masses.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by awanatech View Post
    Another example of this would be allowing Scouts to have electronics on outing or meetings.
    I remember when I was a kid and wanting to take my Sega Game Gear (oh yea!!!) My dad said I couldn't so it stayed home. That's a good thing, especially these days when screen time increased exponentially. It's seriously turning everyone into morons. Anything else I say would be a massive rant, so I'll stop it here.

It's a hard thing to balance these days. I don't absolutely ban them on outings, but I do limit when they can use them. If I ban our Scouts from having them at all, then there are a lot of Scouts who won't camp with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I remember when I was a kid and wanting to take my Sega Game Gear (oh yea!!!) My dad said I couldn't so it stayed home. That's a good thing, especially these days when screen time increased exponentially. It's seriously turning everyone into morons. Anything else I say would be a massive rant, so I'll stop it here.
    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234