Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Keep in mind with synthetics:

Continuous filament fills (like Apex) should not ever be over compressed. While the number is slightly dated with improvements; the old rule of thumb is that you can permanently lose up to 25% of the loft in one over-compression.

Dakotacross's sentiments regarding compression sacks and simply loose packing are both good tips.

You can get synthetic to compress smaller- but it's not a good plan. If you're struggling to get it into a stuff sack you need a bigger one. NEVER put a synthetic in a compression sack.

Short staple fills (Primaloft Gold) can compress about on par with down. The 15-20% larger for modern cont. filaments like APEX is about right.
    https://1drv.ms/b/s!Apygyt54yYPwg7su-xE8K2y2tjf7Rw

Apples to apples is important too. That's the same 'vendor' and the same design. With a few variants and one Apex quilt tossed in.

A lot of people discount shell volume but it can and does add up.
    So if you were shopping a premium quilt vs. an Econ down quilt vs. an Apex version.... you may find the compression difference to be minimal comparing an econ model with heavier shell fabric to an apex with a premium 7d taffeta.

While most everyone is using netting or light material for baffles these days... people forget how much more 'shell' there is that you don't see inside. Most synthetic's don't have any internal baffles or hidden fabric... so a down quilt typically has a yard or more of material (about a fist or more worth of volume). Construction technique can make a difference too.

Bottom line... find out the volume of the stuff sack supplied by the vendor. Even if it's a bit loose... it works for them and they don't get damage or complaints. Some vendors try to cut it tight to look good on the spec sheet but most vendors have learned their lesson and have usable stuff sacks if supplied.

While not an amazing way to compare, it's a decent one. Even down can be damaged by overcompression... and shells/baffles/stitching takes a beating when you are twisting/stuffing/cramming.
    So generally I say- suck it up a bit on the volume and go easy when packing insulation. Even if you cram down to a dense ball... it's also that much longer you need to give it to come back at camp. If you're not getting full loft back in a half hour or so you probably over did it.

My personal opinion. I would never go with a full winter synthetic set. I prefer not to go past a summer set (about 40*) and switch to down around 30*.
    In summer volumes or early shoulder season the synthetic is usually not a deal breaker.
    Prior to the low down prices and lack of economy quilts... synthetic as cold weather insulation was more appealing. These days... the hit to the wallet is rarely a reason to shop synthetic for cold weather gear unless you have other compelling reasons.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Nope, half. Diy climashield 2.5 is 10oz.
    Ugq 40 degree 800 is 18 oz.
    Both would be considered wide/long.
    It does help the down tq has snaps, cinchable ends, ect while the diy is a sewn footbox, no shock cord, no loops, ect. Very simple.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    At roughly 45-50*....
    You can build a quality synthetic quilt that is lighter than down.

Doing so in an UQ... is also not that hard as most of the vendors do a grosgrain ribbon for the channels and other 'heavy' things that you can cut out in DIY.
    As you mentioned... trimming out all the fluff in a TQ is quite doable in a DIY too.

But 2.5 Apex is a 50* quilt on nearly any vendor's chart or lineup.

A 3.6 Apex is the most I would ever use personally... and that's a pretty solid 45*.

Enlightened Equipment goes by a basic 2/4/6/8 system for 50/40/30/20 and no longer sells a zero.

Apex is good for DIY, but it has limitations.

There is always a hero, a tough guy, or a hot sleeper. I've used Apex 2.5 as a top quilt with no shelter into the mid 30's in the rain (it weighed 10.25 ounces).
    I didn't die. But you will never catch me telling anyone that is anything more than a 50* quilt.

You need about 5 more ounces of Apex to match a 40* UGQ ... so at 15 ounces (about what my 45* PLG quilts come in at) then you've got a comparison.

Keep in mind... if you're using that thing in a gathered end... I could buy the rating.
    Use it alone on the ground and I wouldn't.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    The first 2 min of this video by Paul from Arrowhead Equip shows synthetic UQ compression - APEX 3 season.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=hisVqiK5voo

I use synthetic here in Va due to hot/humid/wet weather - also I'm lazy and it is easy to care for. Down is nice, but expensive and must to be kept dry and uncompressed.
    I have a down TQ, but usually take all APEX synthetic.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 10-11-2018 at 17:59.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    I DIY'd a 50 degree 2.5 apex climashield top quilt with zipper and drawstring footbox (72x54) and itll fit into an 8 liter stuff sack. Usually just put it in the bottom of my back in a trash compactor bag though. I think it works great but I made it a summer quilt to deal with the humidity here in the the "south". I still prefer down.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    I tested out a DIY quilt from ripstopbytheroll last night. 78”x48”, 5 oz climashield. I built it to plans on their site, so no side suspension. The only real differences were I made end channels out of nylon, not grosgrain, and my connection point is to my ridge line via prussick vs end of hammock. My thermometer said 33 at ridge line, grass had frost, so calling it right at 31-32 at bottom of UQ. Had long sleeve cotton shirt, flannel pj bottom, and socks. Was comfortable, but not warm. Cold did not wake me up, I slept fine. I have read claims of 25-35 as comfort range. Maybe with a vest and or jacket, I could go to 25. Otherwise based on one night, 30 would be my low range before bailing, matching the claim on their website.

My question, would adding side shock cord lower my range? Has anyone tested their design then added Side channels? It seemed to hold well enough at sides, but maybe not?

Images
    ere is a full length AHE Ridgecreek XL, a narrow synthetic UQ designed to fit the WB bridge, rated 25F. It will stuff down significantly smaller than in this picture, maybe about 1/2 or so.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12