Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    I just use a simple piece of mule tape and a becket hitch...easy peasy, cheap, and works well for me!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When it's really cold, I can't work whoopie slings or beetle buckles with gloves on, so I have to take the gloves off. And getting your guylines tied out to tarp stakes can take a while (take gloves off, put gloves back on to warm up). Hand warmers are a life saver for tarp setup.

And don't forget, when the ground is frozen you may need a hammer to get tarp stakes in the ground. I remember the first time I went out in freezing weather, I had the bright idea to sweep the snow away so I could stake out my tarp. Bad idea - the snow was keeping the ground insulated. It froze instantly when I swept the snow away. Luckily, a more prepared hanger in my group had brought a hammer.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    When it's really cold, I can't work whoopie slings or beetle buckles with gloves on, so I have to take the gloves off. And getting your guylines tied out to tarp stakes can take a while (take gloves off, put gloves back on to warm up). Hand warmers are a life saver for tarp setup.

And don't forget, when the ground is frozen you may need a hammer to get tarp stakes in the ground. I remember the first time I went out in freezing weather, I had the bright idea to sweep the snow away so I could stake out my tarp. Bad idea - the snow was keeping the ground insulated. It froze instantly when I swept the snow away. Luckily, a more prepared hanger in my group had brought a hammer.
    I carry a large gauge spike in my stake bag in winter to break thru the frozen earth using a rock. Yeah, it’s a little heavier than an aluminum or titanium spike, but it doesn’t bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I carry a large gauge spike in my stake bag in winter to break thru the frozen earth using a rock. Yeah, it’s a little heavier than an aluminum or titanium spike, but it doesn’t bend.
    You should come camping in the NJ Pine Barrens in winter. You'll quickly learn there are no rocks in the Pine Barrens!

Strange but true. Plenty of sand, but no rocks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    You should come camping in the NJ Pine Barrens in winter. You'll quickly learn there are no rocks in the Pine Barrens!

Strange but true. Plenty of sand, but no rocks.
    Is that an invitation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I agree. I never plan on keeping gloves on 100% of the time for anything really. There's always something requiring the dexterity of bare fingers - working with small cord, putting in contacts, tearing open a candy bar, picking knots, picking my nose...

But the straps/buckles don't require much so gloves can stay on.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    -15* with whoopies on a cold, but dry weekend - no issues. I'm hoping to see info from those who hang in freezing rain or lots of wet, soggy snowfall.
    This FTW.

I've used several varieties of buckles and whoopies down to -15° F with no issues. The problem is when you have warm wet days and freezing nights. While I've never had a whoopie become unusable, melting snow and foggy drizzle during the day followed by a clearing night dropping into the low 20s made them really hard to adjust the next morning. It was no big deal since I was moving sites anyway, but it's the freeze - thaw - freeze that makes things harder. These days I've given up on whoopies and use straps exclusively - lately with Beetle Buckles. Haven't has any issues in the cold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    -15* with whoopies on a cold, but dry weekend - no issues. I'm hoping to see info from those who hang in freezing rain or lots of wet, soggy snowfall.
    I've used my whoopies in freezing rain a few times. There was ice on them but just taking your hand and making a closed fist and rubbing up and down the whoopie constrictor for about 30 seconds caused enough friction heat to loosened it right up.
    When it gets to -10º or so I switch to cinch buckles for ease and not having to take off my thin gloves.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have use straps and cinch buckles with Dutch clips down to 9 degrees in the snow here and they worked fine.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I use the same straps and whoopie combinations year round with a marlinspike toggle. Hot or cold, rain or snow, it's all works the same.
    Same here up in Maine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast