diy Clark Vertex
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question diy vertex

So, I'm a huge fan of the clark vertex hammock. Not a fan at all of the price. So I have started planning to make one...really just thinking about it at this point. There sure is a lot a lot a fabric that goes into one of those (I'm thinking of 1.1 double layer beds).

Anyone have any ideas on this? Besides the fact that it'd be hard and take A LOT of time..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't have any ideas to help, but would love to see the plans when you get done. I too am quite the fan of the Vertex. Don't care much for the rest of the line (comfort wise), but that Vertex is really something.
    Trust nobody!

I am also slowly working on this having abandoned the idea of a double bridge (for now). The first of my two DIY hammocks is completed (single 1.9oz). Still have to hem and channel the second. Then mate them. I am hoping to overlap the waist->foot sections somewhat and have much less of a separation between the two hammocks than the vertex. Kinda a bit of a combination of the Vertex and what dblhmmck has done with his double bridges. We'll see... It's going slow as I am new to the thread injector world and have been learning as I go (not always with success ). More 1.9 has already been ordered from Speers to make up for the mistakes I have made so far. v1.0 will be sans bug net until I get the body design down. Will post pics when completed, but would be interested in seeing what you are doing.
    Last edited by BER; 03-02-2010 at 10:45.

Bug net for double hammock

Cool idea!

I do have an idea for the bugnet when you get to that part. In fact, I made a prototype that I have not yet tested.

It utilizes an arched pole across at the shoulder level. The netting extends only down to about the waist. On the two outer edges, I have sewn some JRB quilt wings. These get attached to one of my wide JRB quilts. Entry and exit is from under the side of the quilt. The bugnet is completely removable.

Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Cool idea!

I do have an idea for the bugnet when you get to that part. In fact, I made a prototype that I have not yet tested.

It utilizes an arched pole across at the shoulder level. The netting extends only down to about the waist. On the two outer edges, I have sewn some JRB quilt wings. These get attached to one of my wide JRB quilts. Entry and exit is from under the side of the quilt. The bugnet is completely removable.
    Sweet. That would be neat to see. I have long drooled over your double bridge designs. You make some nifty stuff. I went so far as to buy all the materials/spreaders/strapping to so as to try to emulate your designs, but when it came down to it, thought a double gathered end would be easier given my lack of sewing prowess and unfamiliarity with bridge design.

Hammock
    diy Clark Vertex
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Cool idea!

I do have an idea for the bugnet when you get to that part. In fact, I made a prototype that I have not yet tested...
    I'm all ears.

Also, I was thinking about using the 0.344" diameter "nanolite" aluminum poles here
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_...m#TENT%20POLES
    but i'm not so sure they would flex enough to make it. though they have angled pieces as well that I could use.
    Last edited by HanginTom; 03-04-2010 at 15:11.

Double takes more set up time

Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Sweet. That would be neat to see. I have long drooled over your double bridge designs. You make some nifty stuff. I went so far as to buy all the materials/spreaders/strapping to so as to try to emulate your designs, but when it came down to it, thought a double gathered end would be easier given my lack of sewing prowess and unfamiliarity with bridge design.
    Thanks for the compliment on my double bridge. However, you have probably taken the more sensible path with a gathered end, or even individual hammocks. I know, for somebody who calls himself dblhmmck, that is a shocking suggestion.

Here is the unknown factor that will make all of the difference in your double hammock success... your partner's patience. Does she good-naturedly take interest in searching for a perfect trine of trees? Is she unbothered by extra time needed for setting up camp? Will she tolerate getting in and out of the hammock several times while you make a few adjustments?

After using a double hammock for six consecutive nights I realized a couple things. I realized that the totally independant suspension of the two halves of a Vertex will make it easier to set up. When the two halves are less independant, you have to guess how much each side will sag with the different weight of the two occupants. To compensate for this, I tried to get my tree spacing as equal as possible. Even so, it took a couple tries to get it right.

I also realized that for my girlfriend and myself, I'd be better off using the double hammock only for car camping type trips. She has been a great sport through the development process. But when we're exhausted from hiking setting up the double hammock took more time and energy than we would have preferred. But maybe this is slightly less of an issue with a Vertex-like design.

For our next backpacking trip together, I may take two individual bridge hammocks. I would give up the weight savings of the shared quilts, but still pitch under the same large tarp (DIY Spinn).

I still think the bugnet design is promising. It does make it so that the quilt wings can not be used independantly of the net. But it accomplishes dual entry without any zippers. But I don't forsee testing it any time soon.....

Quote Originally Posted by HanginTom View Post
    I'm all ears.

Also, I was thinking about using the 0.344" diameter "nanolite" amulinum poles here
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_...m#TENT%20POLES
    but i'm not so sure they would flex enough to make it. though they have angled pieces as well that I could use.
    I'd suggest taking a pole from an old dome tent. Thrift store, swap meet, garage sale, etc. You can always remove unneeded sections to get the right length.

• + New Posts