DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel

Remove DWR finish from fabric?

I have a lot of condensation building up inside my hammock winter sock. It does have a large mesh window, 2' x 1' right over my head, but everything is soaking wet in the morning. My guess is the True Timber 2.0 fabric is not wicking the moisture to the outside much like a cotton sock would. I believe if I could remove the DWR finish the fabric would soak up more of the water and allow it to evaporate on the outside of the sock. Do I just wash it 5 times? I know every rain jacket I have had with DWR starts soaking up water after a few washes. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Condensation inside a winter sock is expected. If you could remove the DWR finish (which I doubt), it probably wouldn't make a bit of difference in your condensation levels.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Therein lies the issue with using socks. If you need more warmth then get a warmer quilt set and you will be set.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Silversurfer, you have never had a jacket that beads water just fine when you get it and then after a couple of years the rain just soaks into it? The DWR finish has failed at that point, or it has been removed. That is what I would like to do so the sock soaks up the condensation, like duck cotton, but without the weight. If it soaked up the condensation and exposed it to the outside it would evaporate, which is what I am trying to do. Of course if it freezes then it just snows inside the sock and that I do not mind. But it very possible you are correct and it will not make a difference, I just thought I would try.

Trailslug, I have the right quilts and I always use a 15 degree buffer, but I like a sock to stop the wind and so I can still see out of the mesh panel. I know a tarp would block the wind, but it blocks my view also. I use a face mask at some point, but a good hood and a sock works well for me down to about 20 and windy. Overall, you are right though and I do use the right quilts.

Here is a picture of my highly modified Dutch sock: vent moved over my face, I added gathered end channels back from the ends so it hangs like a hammock, pullout, and a cover for the screen that snaps to different heights and not just closed all the way. I think the socks is really great now, I just need to work on the condensation. I will also try opening the ends for more venting/drafts, though that is not my first choice.
    IMG_20181014_172559496.jpg,IMG_20181014_172852755.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I doubt you can "work on the condensation." There's too much of a difference between outside temp and inside temp and there will always be condensation, and a non-DWR finish isn't going to "soak up condensation" any more than a DWR finish. I've used various fabrics as a sock or top cover, and always got condensation. Even cotton freezes and snows on you - it doesn't soak up anything and it doesn't breathe any better when frozen than a DWR finish.

I also find the mesh vents to be fairly useless - I don't think mesh vents anything. I see just as much snow on my mesh vent as I do on my topcover! I've even tried using a bugnet in winter. Bugnets have no DWR finish, to my knowledge, but they don't seem any better at "soaking up condensation" than a fabric with DWR finish. I still got tons of condensation and snow with a bugnet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Off the subject---But I am really interested in the comment about the coat losing its waterproofness. I have tried to renew the waterproof/breathable but nothing works well.

I like my Spindrift with two doors, it keeps the wind off and adds warmth. My UQ is damp in the A.M. ans needs to air to dry. Not a good thing if I were on a multi day Hang.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have the 10 ft and 11 ft Warbonnet socks and have used them down to 9 degrees in the snow. I set the sock up so the door is on the side away from the wind and I do not zip it up all the way. Have not had a problem with condensation yet.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As far as I can tell, a bit of the DWR is lost with each washing. I, too, doubt that you will get rid of condesation issues this way, though. If I understood it correctly, condensation happens when warm air touches a colder surface. The sock creates a room filled with warm, humid air, but the fabric is much colder due to being in contact with the cold air outside. The greater the difference, the worse condensation gets. You can manage condensation a bit with different measures:

• Create two zones: one inside the sock, and one outside the sock but under a large tarp. That way, some condensation will happen on the tarp. This is the way double walled tents work.
    • Decrease humidity inside the sock by e.g. opening the zipper close to your mouth to let the most humid air escape.
    • Decrease the temperature inside the sock by e.g. netted windows.
    • Breathe into or onto a piece of cloth that will catch the humidity.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Therein lies the issue with using socks. If you need more warmth then get a warmer quilt set and you will be set.
    The answer!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    The answer!
    For some in some situations. I already use 0° quilts in summer and wouldn't want to haul a -20° set in spring and fall. A sock works very well for me - better than warmer quilts. Also, I don't like cold drafts around my head. That's something warmer quilts wouldn't fix.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast