Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I've hung several times between my roof rack and a handy tree/pole. I've also built one of these stand for the back porch and those times when there's absolutely no trees/poles available: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...od-style-stand

I'm not sure of the driving factor to have it totally off the ground and supported by the vehicle. Are you planning to move the vehicle with your hammock and tarp set up? Is this so you can set up in a parking lot or somewhere else that you can't sink stakes? Even the rooftop tents that are now the rage have ladders and all manner of doo-dads hanging off that prevent the vehicle moving when they're deployed.

If I really wanted to hang on the beach from my vehicle I'd combine these two ideas. Build a bipod using some tarp brackets or whatever you have handy. Rig up a ridge pole from the swaged pieces of fence top rail. Attach one end to your roof rack using some manner of clip or u-bolt arrangement.

When you're done you'd be hanging in any direction from the vehicle you want (straight out the back, out to one side, etc). For easy tarp rigging the decision would be up to you. This wouldn't be totally free standing but would be pretty cheap to make, compact, etc. I'm kicking around a similar setup using my current stand. Problem is I made all my legs and the ridgeline 7' sections. They fit great on the roof rack but are too long to go on my hitch hauler or inside.

I do have a start of a similar stand using some of the 4' camo netting poles that would serve the same purpose....maybe I'll break those out to experiment with ;-)
    The reason for the hitch mounted stand is for a fast reliable setup with no fussing around, and yes I want it mostly vehicle mounted, just in case I have to move. Conditions can change, situations can change, I want to be able to be close to the water, just above high tide line or where I think the tide will get to while I'm there. Granted I live at the beach, know how this all works, I know what I want and with my creativity now have something that works out nicely. The tarp aspect is coming more into focus, I need two of them. I can get a 9x9 diamond fly which will be super easy to set up for evenings where weather isn't really an issue. The second tarp is for more extreme conditions while on a road trip, if I need it. Again, I live at south padre island, a skinny barrier island in texas, I can see the bay on one side and be there in less than 60 seconds on my bicycle, and can be on the gulf side in 2 minutes, to drive onto the beach it takes about 10 minutes. I've camped on the beach in all different ways and this will give me a new aspect to it. We all have our own requirements and different ideas about doing something, i'm just sharing my version of it. Stay tuned for the new model, I have a front mounted receiver.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images

Here I take down, fold it up for storage. I’d say that is the compactness and quickness that I was shooting for.

@spidennis, that's a very cool design that you've come up with. Thanks for posting and the videos are great. I'm always looking for new ideas, I just don't have a lot of time to tinker with them like I used to. So I enjoy seeing the ingenuity of others.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I have more videos showing this stand on my youtube channel, spidennis. Note, this is not a professional channel, just a collection of my stuff. I am looking forward to making a descriptive video while on the beach soon showing the setup. Presently the weather is a bit yucky.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I've been having a fruitless search for a 9.5' hex tarp, but there's plenty of 10 footers, so I think I'll adjust my stand so that it fits a 10' tarp and then I'll use some amsteel endless loops to extend the hammock so I don't have to try and use the suspension straps. stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    https://youtu.be/-W07opSf_Qc
    so this guy has something similar but he is in no way an experienced hammock camper!
    Once I get my welding skills underway I'm sure I'll have more ideas happening but for on the cheap with what I already have I think I can make this work. One concern is being a bit too close to the back of the vehicle. I do have a hitch extender if need be.

here is another version, but again, not experienced hammock campers.
    https://youtu.be/Up4PFCAz3rc

https://youtu.be/Xw5LXR-W9nc
    and this one looks interesting .... but ....... it needs tweaking .....

some ideas are just kinda weird
    https://youtu.be/C2UFAuln0KQ

https://youtu.be/9Mda3nXI2oE
    this one needs a ladder!
    look at layla

https://youtu.be/6F3hJ--_y3A
    kinda sorta ...... but still not experienced hammock campers!

eno makes a car version, interesting, .....
    https://youtu.be/qg02YlztaMA

yet another version, but closer to what I'm doing, but not quite.
    https://youtu.be/ofSnhJbzJPw
    Do you have more videos please ?

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anes10 View Post
    Do you have more videos please ?
    I shared what I found, there may be more? but it's all i found ....... it's up to you now! first post? welcome to the club.

Hammock
    CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Not quite the same idea but just thought I would show it might be of interest .
    its how I sometimes car camp.
    I have a modified safety belt with attachment loops for hammock and tarp which feeds out and over the car. It has padded sleeves for stress points. Just unclipps when you take down.
    But you do need another tie-out support tree or other. Works really well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition DLX
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    LSOH - Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When car camping we've hung from the roof rack of our SUV. It's so easy to park the perfect hanging distance away from the trees. We hang from one tree or two depending on the site. It's an easy setup when it starts to get dark out.
    Last edited by PsykoMaggot; 11-04-2018 at 10:10.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Currently I do the same ladder rack to tree/pole method. I call it my "WalMart mode" figuring I could always use a light pole in a Wally World parking lot if need be.
    BitterrootLongBridgeLostHorseCr05152018_9.jpg

However, since I have a front and a rear receiver hitch I plan on welding a long arm onto a square 2" piece (that goes in the receiver), one in front and one in back. That way I could hang a hammock parallel with the truck (for a GE hammock) and have a tarp off the side of the truck. I probably will have an adjustable knee brace that goes to the ground for some additional support.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast