Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Judging from previous threads, it sounds like your body emits some kind of cloud-dissipating chemical- which effectively eliminates the need for a tarp altogether. The only thing lighter than cuben fiber is no fiber.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Judging from previous threads, it sounds like your body emits some kind of cloud-dissipating chemical- which effectively eliminates the need for a tarp altogether. The only thing lighter than cuben fiber is no fiber.
    I definitely broke that trend!

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I have sewn on a "skirt" to the long edges of a couple of my tarps that I use for tandem hanging. When not in use it just rolls up to the main tarp and gets tied off like the doors on a hammock gear cuben tarp. The skirt is not used to tension the tarp, the main part of the tarp retained all of the tie outs, it just helps with wind and rain spray. It is sewn, not removable, but stayed out of the way when not needed. Does the intended job with very little weight, and could be added to any tarp.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    How about this for an idea? A line of velcro like material at the edge of the tarp and a polycro sheet with the mating side of the velcro on its edge. Water and windproof and extremely light weight and packable. Doesn't have to be super durable as it's super cheap but does the job for when you need it. Could be attached with something lighter than velcro strips as well. Cut to whatever size and shape you want from window insulation film.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    How about this for an idea? A line of velcro like material at the edge of the tarp and a polycro sheet with the mating side of the velcro on its edge. Water and windproof and extremely light weight and packable. Doesn't have to be super durable as it's super cheap but does the job for when you need it. Could be attached with something lighter than velcro strips as well. Cut to whatever size and shape you want from window insulation film.
    That's actually a good idea! As little as I would use this (I think?) a disposable option would do fine. I don't like velcro in general, but there are other ways. I just don't want to damage the tarp. Maybe even some mini document clips. Just thinking out loud. The Grizz Beak which attaches to the ends originally got me thinking about this. Similar concept, but for the sides.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    That's actually a good idea! As little as I would use this (I think?) a disposable option would do fine. I don't like velcro in general, but there are other ways. I just don't want to damage the tarp. Maybe even some mini document clips. Just thinking out loud. The Grizz Beak which attaches to the ends originally got me thinking about this. Similar concept, but for the sides.
    I use KamSnaps because they are extremely lightweight and easy to connect and disconnect. If you have a place on the edge of the tarp where there is sufficient material you can put snaps there and a matching snaps on the polycro. If you really want to bring extra material (and not make it permanently part of the tarp), short of cuben fiber, polycro is probably the lightest material with strength. You can fold the polycro over if a single layer isn't enough for a snap.

Images
    You can also use a ribbon to help anchor the snaps. It gives a better backing material and also makes a handy pull-tab at the same time.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I would arrange it so the extension snaps onto the inside of the tarp, so that rain will shed off instead of draining in.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I like it... Going to see if I have the material to give it a go... I'll try Kam Snaps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    I would arrange it so the extension snaps onto the inside of the tarp, so that rain will shed off instead of draining in.
    Good catch!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast