Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images

Winter camping with your dog

I got an English Mastiff this year and this will be our first winter together. I'd like to take him on an overnighter but I have no idea where to start. When hammock camping, where does the dog sleep? I think a tent would be prettey simple. WE could both lie inside and snuggle under my quilt. Not sure how to pull it off with a hammock and keep my dog warm. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
    Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Some sort of blanket or mat for the dog on the ground perhaps on top of a light plastic ground cloth. Then I hang at a lower height so my dog is just touching my under quilt and off to the side of me. I'll cover him with my coat. He also has a modified kids vest he wears at night and around camp.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My dog Sam hates to be covered no matter how cold. I had a small dome pup tent ( yes it is a small tent made for a dog ) that he used a few times until he outgrew it. Now I only take him when it is cold out if I am car camping and then I take a soft crate that I place on top of a CCF pad and cover with a tarp. I then throw an old sleeping bag inside and he sleeps on top of that. He has used it down to 22 degrees. If is is warmer he just curls up under my hammock and guards me against the woosels and hefellumps. He is also partial to curling up on top of PappyAmos down booties while Pappy is wearing them.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy 70D Hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here's what seems to be a less cost effective option. He's also got a few videos on backpacking with his dog.

https://youtu.be/JC8crk2drKA
    Last edited by lazyes3; 10-15-2018 at 15:37.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Maybe you should look into winter camping with a horse for clues about winter camping with an English mastiff. That dog is huge! I can't even imagine how much food you would have to carry.

He's definitely not sleeping in the hammock. You'll either have to get him his own tent or tent with him.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I've got a few customers who sleep with their dog next to them or curled up in one end or the other of the bridge they are not using...
    But with a mastiff I'm not sure how long that would last...

Pad on the ground under you sounds best.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    We had 2 EM's, both lived to 13 yrs. old. They're not sight hounds, scent hounds nor retrievers. They were couch potatoes. That said make sure you have a wind break for them if under your hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Maybe you should look into winter camping with a horse for clues about winter camping with an English mastiff. That dog is huge! I can't even imagine how much food you would have to carry.

He's definitely not sleeping in the hammock. You'll either have to get him his own tent or tent with him.
    I'd let the dog carry his own food. Unless, of course, he said "no." Not an argument I'd want to get into.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I remember reading the post with a camper using a One Person Tent Bivvy, from Walmart (Inexpensive) for his Dog(s) to sleep in.

Looks very effective. I'm thinking of buying one for my Labrador.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&d=1497666570
    Found the Thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ak-for-my-Dogs "Cheap Wind Break for my Dogs"

-Islander

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    We had 2 EM's, both lived to 13 yrs. old. They're not sight hounds, scent hounds nor retrievers. They were couch potatoes. That said make sure you have a wind break for them if under your hammock.
    Just do your best to make sure he doesn't break wind under your hammock! I had a Doberman that worked with me back in the Bob Marshall. He had the nickname "Pooter", because.... Oh, I see, you meant wind break, my bad. As a short coated dog he really did his share of shivering in the cold weather. The long coated border collies I've had do very well at staying warm even when we had to cross a number of rivers/creeks in October checking outfitter camps and private parties, e.g. the Yellowstone, Buffalo, or Thoroughfare. But that was all before I discovered hanging and a floorless tent with a small wood stove was a welcome place for the night.

Now I also use one of the small "pup" tents made by Alcott. But not near big enough for a EM. You probably need a North Face Mountain 25 . My border collie prefers to lay out on a pad, or no pad, for most the season we camp in. But for winter camping some sort of insulated pad will be a must.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast