Hammock Gear - 1.6 with Net
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.

Dual Split Rings - What Line?

I'm a ground dweller (sorry) and while looking for a tarp I came to appreciate that you folks who hang around in trees know a thing or two about stringing up tarps and making knots.

I wanted an emergency tarp for my winter day hikes. A "just in case" shelter. I've used a 8'x10' flat tarp in the past and about 99% of my pitching was in standard mode so I figured a shaped cat would be acceptable and the winter versions with doors seemed like a sensible solution.

So I ended up buying a UGQ Winterdream in 11" flavor, with pull-outs. I've noticed they use dual split rings on tie-outs and ridge line. I'm just curious if anyone is using these straight with cordage and if so, what cordage you find works best?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    From UGQ in an old thread: We do recommend using both rings at all time to prevent the ring from deforming and ultimately failing.

I will say, I only use the single split ring included with Warbonnet tarps on the ridgeline. Been doing that for 6+ years (usually at fairly high tension) with no issues. I like 1.75mm zing-it or lash-it since I use Dutchware Tarp Flyz and that size fits best. But any kind of ~2mm non-stretchy line would be fine.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    Thanks.... I'm eye-balling Dutch and all his toys. I have some Lawson cordage (1.75 & 2mm reflective) that I'll probably use. The 2mm reflective on the guylines and the 1.75 for the ridge attachments.

I also have the modification for the end poles on the tarp being made. That looks like such a slick set-up I couldn't help myself.

I probably should never have bought the tarp because now I'm seriously considering buying a hammock. Oh the sickness!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Dual Split Rings - What Line?

In my opinion, Lawson cordage is a better choice than Amsteel. The only reasons you might disagree is if you like more color selection, or don’t like the look of knots. However, I would like to point out that my experience with ordering from Lawson has been pretty slow shipping times and slow deliveries, but it is free shipping and they are a small company. Which I like to support, by the way. So that’s a plus.

Most folks here use some variety of Amsteel though.

A WinterDream with internal end pole mods is a pretty sweet tarp! You are going to love it! The end poles are great at allowing a “floating” porch mode (no sticks required). They are also great for windy and snowy days.

Be sure to check out NAMA Claws too. They work well with Lawson Statline or 1.75mm Amsteel.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Lawson has been pretty slow shipping times and slow deliveries
    I can't blame Lawson though. Even if it was $0.70 worth of shipping 1st class it should only take 2 days to me, after placed in the mail. Call it 3 days total, which was the case on my last order. One day processing is fine by me. The problem is the completely useless USPS that is still working on getting my 4oz envelope to me. It's been 6 days now. Their new thing: give a delivery date, then delete it and replace with "In transit to next facility", and just update the status with that every single day. Even Amazon is getting fed up and feeling the heat, but I'm getting way off topic now as usual...

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post

A WinterDream with internal end pole mods is a pretty sweet tarp! You are going to love it! The end poles are great at allowing a “floating” porch mode (no sticks required). They are also great for windy and snowy days.
    I'm hoping so. I already bought the Lawson cordage. I'll probably buy some of the other flavor (can never have enough cordage) when I buy the Dutch items.

Right now the plans are Lawson 1.75 Stripline on the ridge, with a Dutch Wasp, Dutch hook, Dutch Fleaz on a leash that I can move around to various spots based upon need. I'll pick up the poles from Dutch too and shock-cord & hooks for the doors.

The goal is to keep all my cordage easy to swap/move and I'll keep cordage wrapped with my stakes. I'd like all of it to be easily addable/removeable from the tarp with minimal fuss and when I store the tarp I don't want all the guylines wrapped up in the tarp. I'm going to get one of those mesh snakes to store/deploy the tarp too. I'm sure I'll change it up a bit after using it but that is the starting point.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    The goal is to keep all my cordage easy to swap/move and I'll keep cordage wrapped with my stakes. I'd like all of it to be easily addable/removeable from the tarp with minimal fuss and when I store the tarp I don't want all the guylines wrapped up in the tarp. I'm going to get one of those mesh snakes to store/deploy the tarp too. I'm sure I'll change it up a bit after using it but that is the starting point.
    After using the sleeve for the first time, I'm sure you'll see how easy/no problem it is to keep all the line on. I usually coil up all lines, but on occasion all just throw everything in sloppy and still nothing gets tangled. But overall, a trial and error to see what you like.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    Well... bought the hardware tonight. I took your advice and bought a pair of Nama Claws to go on a ridgeline.

Ridgeline - Lawson 1.75 Statline - Dutch Hook + Dutch Wasp + Nama Claws

Tie outs - Shock cord, Dutch Fleaz - 2mm Reflective (maybe Statline if the 2mm doesn't work in the Fleaz) - MSR Groundhogs

Doors - Shock Cord + Mitten Hooks

Panel Pulls - Shock Cord to trekking poles

Storage - Mesh sock from HG.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    I'm a ground dweller (sorry) and while looking for a tarp I came to appreciate that you folks who hang around in trees know a thing or two about stringing up tarps and making knots.

I wanted an emergency tarp for my winter day hikes. A "just in case" shelter. I've used a 8'x10' flat tarp in the past and about 99% of my pitching was in standard mode so I figured a shaped cat would be acceptable and the winter versions with doors seemed like a sensible solution.

So I ended up buying a UGQ Winterdream in 11" flavor, with pull-outs. I've noticed they use dual split rings on tie-outs and ridge line. I'm just curious if anyone is using these straight with cordage and if so, what cordage you find works best?

Like Oneclick, I used the single split rings on the Warbonnet tarps for years and now use single split rings on all three of my DI tarps, at all points. Ridge line cordage is either Zing-it or Jerry Brown Hollow Core Spectra and all corners, doors and pull outs are z-packs reflective 1.2 z-line. Ground corners have tarp/hook worms girth hitched to the rings
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    Well....I've put it up a couple times now hung between the swingset & the trampoline (we live in that kind of house).

I'm not yet fond of the CRL. Maybe it will grow on me. I think Dutch biners with the same tensioning set-up would work just as well and I wouldn't have to deal with such a long run of 1.75 Tangle-It.

I did larch loop of 3/32" shock cord on each set of split rings. Then I bought the plastic line lock hook which works perfect with the shock cord. Hooks on easily but won't fall off. I just put a loop in the other end of my 6' 2.0mm reflective guyline so that I can quickly suck it down onto a stake, or add another section with a larch knot and take it off the tarp by just snapping off the hook. It is about the same as having a carabiner on each corner with the added benefit of line adjustment which can be adjusted from inside theh tarp....very flexible and works like a charm. I can leave the guyline on and roll it up with the tarp, or just as quickly wrap it with the stakes. I can lengthen it easily if needed and I can move them around to any point I want with minimal effort. The 2.0mm line doesn't tangle either.

I'm not happy with my door management, my line holding my end poles in place and the ridgeline I could live without. I think I'll just try a couple strands of my 6' sections larched together on the ridges without the ridge line. I can then use the two linelocks to snug it up in any direction and both would snap right onto my 3/32" shock cord with no effort. It would provide a nice 'V' for my hammock straps too.

I figure my optimum tree distances falls between 14'-20' so the tarp is 12', my hammock straps (suspension with Beetle Bugs) are 12' each, so 12'-14' on each side of the ridge would work. I like the concept of keeping it modular so I can add more sections for one side if I have a big fat tree on that side.

Anyway.... those are my ramblings. My plan is to use the mitten hooks with shock cords for door management but I've not figured out my lengths and all my options there yet. I think I'll just use more 2.0mm cord on the poles with a line-lock like I'm using for the line outs to a shock cord loop on the ridge. That would give me some adjustability with a simple tug and be easy to larch onto the poles and take off the ridge via snapping it off.

• + New Posts