Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    If you want to winter camp in comfort invest in top quality winter rated quilts and learn how to rig your tarp for the best wind protection that allows your breath to be carried away
    there is no substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    Me too. It's worth "losing" that bit of (wet) warmth in exchange for staying dry...in turn keeping you warmer overall and having a more enjoyable trip.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    It is really a shame one vendor came up with the name Winter top cover and others copied it. It has really mislead a lot of winter hammock campers.
    Since the dead of winter is the last thing you would want a cover sealing you in.

Heck if its cold enough even a sewed on bug net will frost up from your breath.

They should have been called the Spring and Fall windy season top covers since that is were they shine and work so well.

If you want to winter camp in comfort invest in top quality winter rated quilts and learn how to rig your tarp for the best wind protection that allows your breath to be carried away
    there is no substitute.

I am curious as I haven't been in conditions cold enough with a tarp - IE for the same reasons you mentioned I have always been "Naked under the stars" when it was below 20* or so - any how I have a trip planned for thursday and am debating bringing my UQP and the tarp or just the tarp. This trip will go for at least 2 days and I don't want to be wet on day 2. Lows are around 28* right not and moisture doesn't appear to be an issue. Suggestions? Trip plans are below but any suggestions are welcome. Hoping to try out some gear though - specifically my internal pole mods on the tarp and some stoves I have been playing with.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ween-Hang-2018
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    I am curious as I haven't been in conditions cold enough with a tarp - IE for the same reasons you mentioned I have always been "Naked under the stars" when it was below 20* or so - any how I have a trip planned for thursday and am debating bringing my UQP and the tarp or just the tarp. This trip will go for at least 2 days and I don't want to be wet on day 2. Lows are around 28* right not and moisture doesn't appear to be an issue. Suggestions? Trip plans are below but any suggestions are welcome. Hoping to try out some gear though - specifically my internal pole mods on the tarp and some stoves I have been playing with.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ween-Hang-2018
    Rely on your downy goodness (hope they are rated to at least 20f) and use only the tarp for extra protection from the elements.
    Your body warmth will drive your moisture through the quilts to be expelled to the atmosphere....don't trap it in another layer.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    Rely on your downy goodness (hope they are rated to at least 20f) and use only the tarp for extra protection from the elements.
    Your body warmth will drive your moisture through the quilts to be expelled to the atmosphere....don't trap it in another layer.
    Yeah I'm going to be good. I have a 20* UGQ underquilt and a WL 0* TQ. I've had my current setup down to about 10 degrees so I feel pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    I totally agree!

This is the foot end of my hammock. If I had a UQ protector over this (I don't agree with that concept in general), it would have all (or most) been trapped inside...possibly wet and not frozen. This was at -1°F in the early morning. I was able to simply hit it/brush it off since it was frost. Dampness on the other hand hangs around you like a close but annoying friend.

Less is more, keep things simple, work the science.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Yes, my reply and links to the sock was in reference to the OP's interest in use of a sock that covers shoulders on down, so your head is outside and VB clothing keps the condensation under control inside the sock. The sock is just pulled/sungged up after you situate your TQ/UQ - used just like a sock on your foot.
    Mine is tyvek and I made it as an experiment for use during springtime fishing trips where cold winds often caused me grief.
    My HH/SS/OC is use in cold weather as well. Mostly, it's had to decide what to use (DIY sock vs HH) since they both work very well.
    Yep, you and I both belong to the "successful use of HHSS in very cold weather" club!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123