Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Why do I want to vomit after reading part of that? I'm happy to be capable of drip calculations for IV fluids. And I don't even need that, pumps are our friends.
    tell you what. When next I need an IV I want the guy who can get the needle in with one try, way more than the guy who designed the pump.

hoping to keep this a hypothetical situation....

Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Hey Cannibal, sorry for hijacking this thread for a little banter with Hooch.

I resonated with all your experiences. My bridge hammock was my first DIY project, and it was a thrill when (a) I got in, and the seams didn't tear, and (b) I finally I got the thing to hang flat.

I'm hooked. I'm keen on getting my sewing skills good enough to assemble stuff sacks, particularly compression sacks. I have a container fetish, I can't get enough packs or bags. Many's the time I've wished "If only this bag would have a strap here.

I'll have try my hand at a Speer style hammock one of these days. I want to understand this chatter about whipping and pulling edges and the impact that has on the lay. Only one real way to do that....

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hijack away; Hooch could use some old fashioned drillin. Then again, so could I so I'm going to shut-up.

I'm bettin that if you can get the bridge hammock done, then your sewing skills will make small work of the stuff sacks and the like. They are really easy. I don't know why I get so stressed over the long hem lines; oh wait a minute, that's right A.D.D.!

When you start whipping, you'll start playing with it (the whipping!) until you get it right. I honestly thought "Who cares, how much impact will that have?!" and I could not have been more wrong. Just amazing how one fold somewhere you can't even see can have such a dramatic effect. That's the other thing I like about the wire ties, makes it really easy to take apart and try another method. Although I suspect those will start to wear the fabric if I change them out too many times. But, might as well do my experimenting early. That was the whole point of Cannibal Alpha; now I just have to relearn the rest of that alphabet.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

12 inches in front of my nose

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'm bettin that if you can get the bridge hammock done, then your sewing skills will make small work of the stuff sacks and the like.
    I'm pondering now covering up the ends, and getting bug cover...

I don't know why I get so stressed over the long hem lines; oh wait a minute, that's right A.D.D.!
    If you will forgive yet another math analogy, we say that "locally, everything is linear". What that means to me sitting at the machine with a long strip of webbing to sew onto fabric is that I just need to get the next couple of inches straight, because that's about how far I can go keeping the fabric/webbing around the needle aligned the way I want with the fingers I got. The big picture fades into the background when I'm concentrated on the next two inches.

Grizz the myopic

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I discovered (without any math) that I really like pins. I used them for the first long hem. Once I had the confidence that I could do it, I started spacing the pins further apart. On word of advice, get the pins with the BIG heads.

I'd look at the 2" for about 2 seconds before I look down to see how much I have left! What I lack in patience, I make up for in determination (some call it being stubborn ).

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    ....On word of advice, get the pins with the BIG heads.......
    Yes I agree... I too use the Pins For The Blind. They have saved me a number of times..... ( I remember sewing up a rip in my pants once.... ..)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I discovered (without any math) that I really like pins. I used them for the first long hem. Once I had the confidence that I could do it, I started spacing the pins further apart. On word of advice, get the pins with the BIG heads.

I'd look at the 2" for about 2 seconds before I look down to see how much I have left! What I lack in patience, I make up for in determination (some call it being stubborn ).
    If you can imagine, I sewed my hammock and had only the 3 pins I could find in the sewing box. I've since remedied that deficiency. My next long hem I'll try pinning it out first. Hopefully fewer unhappy surprises happen on the underside that I can't see.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'm pondering now covering up the ends, and getting bug cover...Grizz the myopic
    I'm going to attempt a bug netting next week. I've heard it isn't very easy to work with, but neither are the people at my office! I'm still impressed that the Bridge Hammock was your first. I guess those math classes paid off afterall. Me, I had to date a girl that worked in the math dept. before I fianlly passed Algebra 101!

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I went to Oklahoma, they handled the tide, and now I live in Arkansas, and yep, they handled the tide last year too. hahahaha, At least bama has a nice stadium.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great looking hammock, Cannibal! Makes you feel kinda giddy the first time you lay in your handiwork, no? And then the planning starts...I'll need this for my next one, and one of those, and maybe a bug net, a matching compression sack and underquilt...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast