Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have and use both. For anything over 35 degrees I use the Phoenix or my WL 3/4 uq. Saves space and weight. For anything below 30 I’ll use my 0 degree incubator Econ. Love them both, different purposes for each though. 3 season I go 3/4 length and winter I go full length.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I get the weight thing, but regarding space...are people packing their packs so tight that they can fit a Phoenix but not an Incubator? You're literally talking the size of a softball once the difference is wadded up.

I guess it's possible, but I like to allow myself at least that amount of extra space just in case I need something like extra clothes on a really wet trip, extra food for a longer trip, etc.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 11'
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF w/door
    Insulation
    EE top HG UQ
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    I have a 40F Phoenix ( 11.5 oz) and a 0F Incubator (25.7 oz). I use the Phoenix down to temps in the mid 40s, and it works quite well. I do not use any extra insulation at the feet (sit pad, jacket, etc). The light weight and appropriate warmth is at these temperatures and higher is hard to beat.

For temps in the low 40s and below, I use the Phoenix. Much more weight, but the added warmth is worth it.

It seems as though you are looking to add an underquilt because your 20F Yeti is too warm in the summer. If this is the primary motivation, then the a 40F Phoneix makes a great deal of sense.

Lastly, In repsonse to you" if you could only have one...?" question, I object. It brings me too much anxiety to consider limiting myself to just one!!!!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Getintouch98 View Post
    My summer quilt is a Phoenix. For winter nothing beats that full size Downy comfort.
    X2

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsosmith View Post
    I have a 40F Phoenix ( 11.5 oz) and a 0F Incubator (25.7 oz). I use the Phoenix down to temps in the mid 40s, and it works quite well. I do not use any extra insulation at the feet (sit pad, jacket, etc). The light weight and appropriate warmth is at these temperatures and higher is hard to beat.

For temps in the low 40s and below, I use the Phoenix. Much more weight, but the added warmth is worth it.

It seems as though you are looking to add an underquilt because your 20F Yeti is too warm in the summer. If this is the primary motivation, then the a 40F Phoneix makes a great deal of sense.

Lastly, In repsonse to you" if you could only have one...?" question, I object. It brings me too much anxiety to consider limiting myself to just one!!!!
    I currently have a 0* Incubator as well and looking at a summer quilt. Your suggestion of a 40* Phoenix is exactly the direction I’m leaning towards. Thanks for the insight.

To OP, I agree with what another poster said regarding your situation with the Yeti. It sounds like a 40 Phoenix would be a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    In Colorado there is no such thing as a 3 season UQ. You have summer 40-50F at night then you have spring and fall 25-40F at night then you have winter with -20 to +20 at night.
    I own both of these UQ 's and only use the 3/4 in summer.

This UQ is one of my favorites its a StormCrow before the name HG was used.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I would consider the Yeti if I were gonna go partial UQ.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...i-underquilts/

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I tried partial length underquilts but couldn't warm up to this style. I hated the additional pressure on my legs, couldn't get rid of the air channels and couldn't keep the sit pad in place. I used Incubators for a long time, until Warbonnet introduced the Wooki. That fixed all of the issues I kept having with shock cord suspended uqs. But I'm still hesitant to sell my last Incubator, because apart from the suspension it's such a fine underquilt.
    The above sums up my experience perfectly.

Hammock
    Dutchware/Dream
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I get the weight thing, but regarding space...are people packing their packs so tight that they can fit a Phoenix but not an Incubator? You're literally talking the size of a softball once the difference is wadded up.

I guess it's possible, but I like to allow myself at least that amount of extra space just in case I need something like extra clothes on a really wet trip, extra food for a longer trip, etc.
    Maybe it's not that the Incubator can't "fit" but if they use the Phoenix instead, then they can still have that extra space for extra clothes, food, etc. like you said.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sasch View Post
    Maybe it's not that the Incubator can't "fit" but if they use the Phoenix instead, then they can still have that extra space for extra clothes, food, etc. like you said.
    That's what I was getting at. If you're maxing out your pack so much every time, that you can't fit another softball-sized ball of down (have to use a phoenix), it seems like pushing it too much.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast