Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider

Sewing underquilt to hammock

Is it possible to sew a Warbonnet 3/4 yeti UQ to my single layer Darien Dream Hammock?

The only thing I find quite annoying with the hammock thing is shock chord on my underquilt. Ive dealt with it for this long but Im surprised someone hasnt come up with a system that doesnt involved shock chord pinching the hammock and hitting my face and feet.

Yes I am aware of the Warbonnet wooki, but I dont need a full length underquilt and Brandon has mentioned he doesnt plan to make a 3/4 length version.

Yes I am aware of folks like BoneFire who do indeed sew the insulation straight to the bottom but I dont have $600 to spend

Just trying to think of ways to avoid the annoying shock chord issue

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    Yes, it is possible. I've sewn an 3/4 down UQ to my DIY hammock and I'm very happy with it. No more fiddling, no more gaps with cold air finding a way between hammock and underquilt.
    The only downside: now I have to wash hammock and UQ when the hammock gets dirty.
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I wouldn't sew the Yeti directly on the SL Darien - especially if the layer is made of a lighter fabric. The stitches themselves might not weaken the fabric much, but the weight of the underquilt pulling on the seams does. You might ruin a perfectly good hammock. Why not sew the Yeti onto a seperate piece of fabric and DIY a 3/4 length Wooki? And if you want to save weight, make your 3/4 Wooki from scratch. You should be able to cut the insulation even narrower.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I wouldn't sew the Yeti directly on the SL Darien - especially if the layer is made of a lighter fabric. The stitches themselves might not weaken the fabric much, but the weight of the underquilt pulling on the seams does. You might ruin a perfectly good hammock. Why not sew the Yeti onto a seperate piece of fabric and DIY a 3/4 length Wooki? And if you want to save weight, make your 3/4 Wooki from scratch. You should be able to cut the insulation even narrower.
    Use the zigzag or stretch stich of the sewing machine, no damage.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that. There's still the weight of the quilt pulling from below on each individual stitch while the fabric simultaneously supports the user weight. I think pretty much all hammocks with insulation that's sewn on use two layers. Probably for that reason. But if you go down that road, please post the long-term results. That would be very helpful.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Im surprised someone hasnt come up with a system that doesnt involved shock chord pinching the hammock and hitting my face and feet.
    Oh, we have ...

1) Try making your own partial length Wooki.
    2) Try a clew suspension. (not good for partial length quilts)
    3) Try a spandex suspension. (very good for partial length quilts)

Images
    There is no traditional shock cord on the SMR Inferno. That quilt comes to a point on both ends, and a piece of elastic webbing hooks from there a short distance to the end of the hammock. Seems to work pretty good, and never contacts the hanger.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Is it possible to sew a Warbonnet 3/4 yeti UQ to my single layer Darien Dream Hammock?
    The only thing I find quite annoying with the hammock thing is shock chord on my underquilt. Ive dealt with it for this long but Im surprised someone hasnt come up with a system that doesnt involved shock chord pinching the hammock and hitting my face and feet.
    Yes I am aware of the Warbonnet wooki, but I dont need a full length underquilt and Brandon has mentioned he doesnt plan to make a 3/4 length version.
    Yes I am aware of folks like BoneFire who do indeed sew the insulation straight to the bottom but I dont have $600 to spend
    Just trying to think of ways to avoid the annoying shock chord issue
    Shock cord UQ suspension is a real pain. It's one of the things that sent me down the path of integrated insulation. A 3/4 length quilt is a good selection for integration, but I wouldn't use an existing quilt or hammock, as the differences in stretch between the two fabrics can cause stress on the seams and tear the fabric.
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I've tried that. Long term effect on an UL inner layer is failure. If the inner is a 2.4oz or greater, I think it could work.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I wouldn't sew the Yeti directly on the SL Darien
    From my experience Hutzelbein is correct. I've made three insulated hammocks, and the one I tried as a single layer didn't do well. The zigzag idea might work, but using a straight stitch on the UQ to hammock caused weak points and eventually the hammock started to rip. Maybe I sewed something wrong, but the other two that are double layered are still going strong. It's likely the double layer approach is much more forgiving. If you've got enough sewing experience to consider sewing an UQ to your hammock, why not just make a double layer and sew to that one. Not tough, and you won't damage your darien. DH hammocks look awesome, but I've never slept in one. If they sleep so much better than what you can diy then maybe contact Randy at DH and ask his advice.

Good luck and I agree with the reasons for sewing it to the hammock. In my opinion it's better. Added bonus if you do a double layer is you can easily supplement the integrated insulation with a thin pad.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Dang, Jeremy (FireInMyBones) posted while I was writing my response. If anyone knows he does.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast