Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Oh, we have ...

1) Try making your own partial length Wooki.
    2) Try a clew suspension. (not good for partial length quilts)
    3) Try a spandex suspension. (very good for partial length quilts)

Fantastic! option 3 looks gooooood....thanks!

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    There is no traditional shock cord on the SMR Inferno. That quilt comes to a point on both ends, and a piece of elastic webbing hooks from there a short distance to the end of the hammock. Seems to work pretty good, and never contacts the hanger.

Ill check it out, thanks!

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    I need to make an apology to BrotherBones (BoneFire Gear)

He does not charge $600.....I was being dramatic....In fact I think he charges a vary fair price for what you are getting. I am just trying to work with some quality items I already have

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    From my experience Hutzelbein is correct. I've made three insulated hammocks, and the one I tried as a single layer didn't do well. The zigzag idea might work, but using a straight stitch on the UQ to hammock caused weak points and eventually the hammock started to rip. Maybe I sewed something wrong, but the other two that are double layered are still going strong. It's likely the double layer approach is much more forgiving. If you've got enough sewing experience to consider sewing an UQ to your hammock, why not just make a double layer and sew to that one. Not tough, and you won't damage your darien. DH hammocks look awesome, but I've never slept in one. If they sleep so much better than what you can diy then maybe contact Randy at DH and ask his advice.

Good luck and I agree with the reasons for sewing it to the hammock. In my opinion it's better. Added bonus if you do a double layer is you can easily supplement the integrated insulation with a thin pad.

Yeah Ive heard the double layer is really the only way to actually sew the quilt on. Ive always avoided the double layer and full length quilts bc it just becomes too heavy for my liking. I pretty much only do backpacking with a paricular focus on long distance walks. Im preparing for my nex tthru hike, hence the emphasis on weight savings

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Ive always avoided the double layer and full length quilts bc it just becomes too heavy for my liking.
    I'm right there with you on going light weight. That's one of the reasons why I made the insulated hammock. That and the desire to simplify my setup as much as possible. Insulated hammock, single line suspension, becket hitch, and the smallest tarp I can get away with based on the forecast. Don't worry too much about the extra weight from a double layer. Mine with insulation is good to mid 40's (with a foot pad) and weighs in at 29.2 oz. Add a thin pad like the gossamer gear or a piece of reflectix with wings and I can go down another 10. Layer a regular underquilt under that when needed. You'll find what works for you. Good luck.
    some people call me the space cowboy, some call me the gangster of love, some people call me maurice

I Learn So I Can Teach FireInMyBones's Avatar
    Hammock
    Bonefire™ Whisper
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ Whisper
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Dang, Jeremy (FireInMyBones) posted while I was writing my response. If anyone knows he does.

Fantastic! option 3 looks gooooood....thanks!
    I look forward to seeing the results.
    I need to make an apology to BrotherBones (BoneFire Gear)He does not charge $600.....I was being dramatic....In fact I think he charges a vary fair price for what you are getting. I am just trying to work with some quality items I already have
    Accepted. Hyperbole can be a very effective tool.
    Yeah Ive heard the double layer is really the only way to actually sew the quilt on. Ive always avoided the double layer and full length quilts bc it just becomes too heavy for my liking. I pretty much only do backpacking with a paricular focus on long distance walks. Im preparing for my nex tthru hike, hence the emphasis on weight savings
    Weight has always been a concern for those of us who like to hike big miles. Congrats on your next thru! I'll be following along.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Owner of Bonefire™ Gear "For the Flexible Minimalist"

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.
    My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    What is the total width on the yeti with the extra fabric? It’s basically a hammock so assuming the full width of the yeti is a a fly the same as the hammock, you would only have the sew straight down the sides in exactly the same fashion as sewing a double layer hammock. I just don’t see why this wouldn’t work assuming the above lines up. There will be NO stitches in the actual hammock body, only on the roller hem down the sides. What’s the problem here?

Edit: Nevermond, I was thinking of the Wookie. In that case, you could do something similar to what I did. It has been flawless for me down to the 20’s.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...wookie-ish-mod

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    What is the total width on the yeti with the extra fabric? It’s basically a hammock so assuming the full width of the yeti is a a fly the same as the hammock, you would only have the sew straight down the sides in exactly the same fashion as sewing a double layer hammock. I just don’t see why this wouldn’t work assuming the above lines up. There will be NO stitches in the actual hammock body, only on the roller hem down the sides. What’s the problem here?

Edit: Nevermond, I was thinking of the Wookie. In that case, you could do something similar to what I did. It has been flawless for me down to the 20’s.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...wookie-ish-mod
    If you were to only sew the long sides of a quilt to the hammock, it would form a sagging "tube" unless you have it under tension edge-to-edge. It's hard to describe until you try it, and then ... *facepalm*. As a practical experiment, take a 60" length of cord, tape one end to the edge of the hammock, around the bottom, and tape the other end onto the other edge of the hammock. It will be limp and lay on the floor, especially when unoccupied.

Long story short: the short ends of the quilt need to attach somehow. The wookie achieves this by simply using a full-length piece of fabric.