Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle

Internal poles Winter setup without stakes ideas

I was wondering about fitting 2 internal hoop poles on the inside of my HG Winter Palace and then draw the doors closed to maintain tension on the pole hoops to hold the 'tent' shape and perhaps tying the middle of the door closure and sides to the hammock trees to prevent movement in the wind and completely forego guy lines and stakes.

Might be an interesting option for deep snow conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Sounds like a cool idea, but I would assume that it couldn’t handle much wind. But what do I know? About as much as Jon Snow…

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    You could also run lines between the tips of each pole arch to keep the poles from spreading.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    That would work too but with my winter tarp cut I could have the pole attached to each end while still having that 'extra fabric' for the doors. I figured if I clip the doors together the pull will hold the pole bent as well.

.... or so the theory goes :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    You could also run lines between the tips of each pole arch to keep the poles from spreading.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was going to say the same thing. Seems more secure and less chance of damaging the tarp?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. Seems more secure and less chance of damaging the tarp?
    The only issue could be that they get in a way of the entrance exit.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by brambor View Post
    That would work too but with my winter tarp cut I could have the pole attached to each end while still having that 'extra fabric' for the doors. I figured if I clip the doors together the pull will hold the pole bent as well.

.... or so the theory goes :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brambor View Post
    The only issue could be that they get in a way of the entrance exit.
    Everyone is on the right track, lol.

Cain't string a bow without a bow string...
    If I had a $400+ tarp I wouldn't be putting it in danger trying to get the .51 DCF to tension a tent pole buffeted by wind. Not to mention the whole thing springing on you if you open the door the wrong way.

I do lots of stakeless tarps with hammocks. It's not too big a deal when you plan to be in the hammock- much bigger pain if you are setting up and walking away. Bigger problem with snow loads.
    A few options:

Simplest-
    Build your bow string out of a whoopie with one or two Beastie D's on it to catch the pole tips. (or a UCR if you prefer)

This covers two conditions:
    1-Simply stringing the bow with no stakes (call that your low end of the whoopie's range)
    2-Stringing the bow with enough slack to run a single stake to the ground in the center of the tarp. (preferred in snow)

Two stakes then for the double pole rig- nothing external. One at each door is your worst case condition. Use a decent stake with a loop in it and you can just pass the whoopie through it so it's easy to adjust (the whoopie isn't pinned down under the hook of the stake or wrapped around it). This lets the tarp roll with the wind a little without pulling stakes- it also lets you reach out from your hammock and give it a good shake if needed.

For your snow concerns- you'll be tramping back and forth setting up the hammock regardless before you're ready for these stakes. In real deep snow- it's also only two deadman's you'd need to do. If you drop those in first- then tramp over the whole mess in general slow poke setup winter conditions the dead men should be set and ready to go by the time pitch is completed.

There are other ways and other tricks- but that one is fairly simple IMO.

If you go with a two stake on one end and a UCR... you can pin down your windward side for the night then let the leeward side of the pole loose so it pops up into a porch mode style opening for moving in and out easier, then crank it tight to batten the hatches for the evening.

So minimum in my opinion-
    Two bowstrings for each end and two stakes.
    Plus 8' or so (x2) of line for a midpoint tie down along each edge with a big ol tarp like the WP for bad conditions... those lines weigh a few grams and found stakes or deadmen will be easily located anywhere you're hanging.

If you make one of those lines longer (16') then you can always prop in a found stick for a porch mode off that longer center tie-out.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    20151121_183354079_iOS.jpg

This is one danger with unnoccupied snow setups- in your case... the poles will likely solve this.

20151122_021521777_iOS.jpg

Might be hard to tell- but in this picture there is one stake set into the mid-point of the side. That (and the Umbrella) proved enough to prevent the tarp from collapsing from clinging snow into the bridge body.

I like umbrellas for rain and wet snow... so makes for UL pole mod of sorts. But this is only one stake and no RL for the tarp which is hanging off the hammock suspension only if you want to strip things down even further.

• + New Posts