Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spider 2.0+hugger
    I like Dutch's spider poly (black and white) strap.You can hang your CL's directly onto a beetle buckle,or add a whoopie sling,an extra CL,or a dog bone for longer length,use a MSH,or tie it in a beckit hitch or j-bend.And it works with cinch buckle's too.It's strong and light weight.Thanks Dutch....

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    Why not the UHWMPE? 1.72oz vs spider poly 4.55 oz

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Neither. Give Loop Aliens a try sometime. UHWMPE huggers around a tree to 7/64 amsteel to Loop Alien to hammock continuous loops. The Loop Aliens act as a water drip break and the whole system is very light and easy to adjust. I tried these just for fun about a year ago and now it is my go to system. You just have to remember to lock off the Loop Alien with a few wraps or you will settle to the ground. I am not sure why I do not hear more about this system.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Iím a fan of Dutchís beetles

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spider 2.0+hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiKnight View Post
    Why not the UHWMPE? 1.72oz vs spider poly 4.55 oz
    I tried Spyder 2.0 and did not particularly like it because it eventually folds over on itself and gets "ropey".It would not hold a beckit hitch in its "ropey" state so I had to use a MSH with it.Additionally,it was very difficult to pull the hitch out after it set me on the ground.Worked great with the Dutch titanium toggle,however there is just not enough weight savings with 15 feet of Spider 2.0 on a 7 foot spider poly hugger vs a 10 ft spider poly strap with a beetle buckle and whoopie.The beetle makes for a fast and convenient adjustment when you want to dial in your lay or go from low lounger mode to a higher off the ground sleep mode.Note:I really don't need the whoopies but carry them for when a larger tree uses up most of the strap.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon (Wide)
    Tarp
    ChillGorilla Fortr
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ Combo
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I actually like both, but no one system is perfect. Here's my lessons learned:

Cinch buckles - tend to be a little heavier and require a little more work to set up. I'm kind of OCD about organization, so I always feel compelled to roll up the straps to keep them organized and prevent tangling. System works great and gives good fine touch control of the hang. Probably the heaviest of the three options I'll list here.

Dutch Beetle Buckle suspension system - this is the one I use now and have been using exclusively for about 5 months. I really like it, but it too has pros and cons. The big cons for me are the previously mentioned OCD about rolling up straps (which I still feel compelled to do), and the learning curve to work the system. It's definitely something you should work with at home before taking into the field. That said, the system (w/ 8' poly straps and Dutch Clips) is crazy light (~5 ounces for the set). It sets up easier than the cinch buckles, and has little to no stretch. I think this is my favorite setup of the three (for now anyway).

Whoopie Slings used to be the lightest option of the three, but when you add in the tree straps (8' poly), the system ends up about the same, possibly a half ounce or more heavier than the beetle buckle system. If you have the whoopie integrated into your gathered end hammock, you can save the weight of a carabiner. If not, you may have another ounce or so to add on. My big con for whoopies is the learning curve. They work great, but it takes some confidence building and adjustment to trusting the system. They also tend to get more expensive as you add in the bling and hardware to really make the system work well. Once you master the learning curve (marlin spike hitch, etc.) they are easy to set up and adjust for the same kind of fine hang control as the two other systems.

In the end, the system that works best for me is the beetle buckle system ... but you really can't go wrong with any of them. It's really about trial and error. If you are supremely weight conscious, the beetle buckle or whoopie suspension options will be appealing. If you aren't weight conscious, the price difference may push you toward cinch buckles. All three may require some additional hardware to set up your hammock properly (continuous loops, carabiners, etc.), and those costs should be considered as part of the total investment.

Good luck in your decision. No matter which one you pick, you are going to like the ability to really dial in the hang of your hammock.

• + New Posts