Brandon from Warbonnet mentioned in one of his posts that putting a pad on top of both layers of a double layer RR gives a different feel, or he said something like that. I also viewed a youtube video where a guy used a Sierra Design frontcountry bed in his hammock and he said it was the most comfort he has had. So I tried my front country bed with an exped down 9 and it was very comfortable. It was a little difficult to get in and out because the bag has no zipper, just that flap, but I got used to that pretty quickly. The pad is in a pocket under the bag so it does not slip around. And there is some insulation between me and the pad and it did not get wet from perspiration. I made several sleeves using climateshield to use over pads in the pad pocket, but the frontcountry stayed much drier. I was much higher in the hammock where my arms were just on top of the edge of the hammock, but that seemed to give much more usable width. I did not think it was unstable at all, but I have owned RR's for about 6 years now and I know what to expect when getting in or out, or shifting around. The best thing I found though is there are no drafts like where the topquilt lets in air after I turn sideways or to my back again! I have used the frontcountry on cots before and I would rate it at about 40 degrees at the lowest, but I just threw another topquilt over it, which also did not shift around. There is no way I would take this packpacking with all the weight, but it is now my go to set up for car camping. My RidgeRunner just got better.
frontcountry bed setup.jpg