Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Who was first vendor to advocate foot end higher?

I know Warbonnet does. At what point, and by whose efforts primarily, did hanging the foot end higher become a commonly recommended practice?
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's always been known that the torso is heavier than the legs, therefore the reason to elevate the foot end. Don't know who actually stated it first, but my wild guess would be Ed Speer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I try to always keep at minimum level or head end higher. I have gastric reflux, and the doctors always tell me to sleep head elevated so that the stomach acid doesn’t reflux into the esophagus, where over time it can cause Barret Esophagus, which can cause esophageal cancer. It’s true the center of gravity in a humans is around the area of the shoulders. A grizzly illustration of this was the World Trade Center jumpers, who all fell feet up and head low.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Who was first vendor to advocate foot end higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    I try to always keep at minimum level or head end higher.
    Paradoxically, hanging the foot end of the hammock higher results in a flatter lay, with your feet lower, and head higher, than if hammock is level or especially if head end is hung higher. That’s why so many hammock makers recommend the practice, and why more than a few hangers complain when they don’t observe it. Counterinuitive at first.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 10-28-2018 at 10:10.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Yup, getting the foot end up means that your body will settle closer to the head end. Your head will be on the up-slope and your legs/feet can more easily spread the fabric being that much further from the gathered end. The hammock spreads more, the lay is flatter, and it's much easier to avoid that pesky "calf ridge." That taut spot in the fabric typically ends up under your knees (if it exists at all) where it's barely noticed.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Some of this points out the one main problem of hammocks - they're a pain in the azz to lay properly in, and God help you if you change positions or get up to pee!

Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    Some of this points out the one main problem of hammocks - they're a pain in the azz to lay properly in, and God help you if you change positions or get up to pee!
    I found that to be true at first. After a while, I've been able to get back to a comfortable position pretty quickly. There definitely is a learning curve before being able to get comfortable consistently but, believe me, it is possible for most folks.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I ask the history because our stand REQUIRES the foot end higher, and want to understand the backstory and prevalence of the recommendation. It's actually a competitive advantage over other stand designs whose end supports are level, and too low or close to compensate by letting the head suspension down.
    --

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have been around a while, and I recall one of the early calls for this coming from Warbonnet.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I know Warbonnet does. At what point, and by whose efforts primarily, did hanging the foot end higher become a commonly recommended practice?
    This is an intriguing question, actually. I used my google-fu and found that here on hammockforums, the earliest post I could find that mentioned hanging foot end higher dates from fairly early in 2007. The text makes it sound like it was an already established practice, however. I suppose a search of whiteblaze might turn up something earlier than 2007.

------------
    edited to add: Earliest post I can find on Whiteblaze that references hanging foot end higher dates from 2005, but again makes it sound like an already existing technique. So whoever came up with it, it's likely earlier than 2005.
    Last edited by sidneyhornblower; 10-30-2018 at 14:15. Reason: more info
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast