SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    My perspective is that I want the TQ to be a good fit lengthwise. I don't want extra material bunching up as I wrap the top end around my shoulders, which seems to make a wall of quilt material on top that catches my breath. And for similar reasons, wouldn't want to be pulling a quilt over my head.

My experience with HG is they give about an inch or two consideration in their lengths, so you should be good with the short. Worth a call to them to see what they recommend as I don't have experience with the Econ quilt.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    The reason that I sometimes pull my quilt over my head is due to sleep apnea that prevents me from breathing while on my back many times. I simply have to sleep on my side or bring a machine with me. If I elevate my head enough sometimes I can sleep on my back. It's not by choice

Hammock
    Chamelon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 TnB
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Condensation is the reason why I am leaning towards the short size. Also packability (not weight) is also a consideration. Same for the underquilt. The HG short is long enough for me and I would think that with a diagonal lay and the fact I scrunch up when I sleep it should work fine.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklkiefer58 View Post
    Condensation is the reason why I am leaning towards the short size. Also packability (not weight) is also a consideration. Same for the underquilt. The HG short is long enough for me and I would think that with a diagonal lay and the fact I scrunch up when I sleep it should work fine.
    Be careful with the UQ and "diagonal lay" part. That has pretty much been debunked over the years. In a hammock, it's not like lying out a flat rectangular piece of fabric and lying corner to corner. Not at all, actually. Once set up, you'll find that the length is what it is regardless of how you lie down. Except curled up in a fetal position, then anything would pretty much cover you completely.

Hammock
    Chamelon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 TnB
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Be careful with the UQ and "diagonal lay" part. That has pretty much been debunked over the years. In a hammock, it's not like lying out a flat rectangular piece of fabric and lying corner to corner. Not at all, actually. Once set up, you'll find that the length is what it is regardless of how you lie down. Except curled up in a fetal position, then anything would pretty much cover you completely.

Hammock
    Chamelon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 TnB
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Good points and thanks. Short probably would still work for UQ but ultimately will most likely go with standard just to have peace of mind. Mark.

Hammock
    Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I’m an inch shorter than you and I have that top quilt in a regular length. I have not had any issues with the length of the quilt. When I get a new quilt I will get it in a regular length. Also the weight difference between a regular and a short is not a factor for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I am new to hammocking and have settled on the HG Econ Burrow 20 degree for my top quilt. My question is about the length. I am 5'7'' and the short version is approximately 2 inches longer than I am tall. Is this too small? If I went with standard which is 74 inches, would that be too big? Thanks for your feedback.
    Quilts are "hoodless" and "backless" sleeping bags. A quilt is not meant to go over your head, so 2" longer than you are tall (5'9" or 69") is more than plenty. If you had massively wide shoulders maybe, just maybe, it would make the quilt too short, but I'm guessing that is not the case.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I am new to hammocking and have settled on the HG Econ Burrow 20 degree for my top quilt. My question is about the length. I am 5'7'' and the short version is approximately 2 inches longer than I am tall. Is this too small? If I went with standard which is 74 inches, would that be too big? Thanks for your feedback.
    Keep in mind that when lying down, your feet tend to drop downward in more of a toes-pointed position. This adds a bit to your standing height. I'm 73" tall, and ordered a 80" top quilt. I find the length to be perfect. I could have gotten away with 78", but I didn't want to feel any pressure of the quilt pulling upwards on my feet to get the quilt around my neck where it needs to be. the 80" quilt allows my feet to stay unrestricted- which I find more comfortable.

That said, I think ordering 5-7" longer than your standing height is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles

Top Quilt Length

Some of it depends on how you sleep, too. One of the manufacturers, maybe EE?, has a chart talking about how much extra length and width to add for your sleep style. Stomach and active sleepers need more to accommodate the different position of the feet, etc.
    Last edited by vicar7; 11-01-2018 at 00:46.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast