Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

Back To the Lake Paddle-In Hang III ~ Flagstaff Lake, Eustis, Maine~ June 20-23rd, 2019

The last two year's events were a BIG hit. Everyone who went remembers them as some of the best hangs ever [!]
    The weekends for the coming year are already filling up fast, so, I have picked a June weekend that seems to work.
    Hope it does for many others as well.

>>click thru to SIGN UP SHEET<< LOOK FOR THIS LINK TO LIGHT UP WHEN I GET SOME MORE ENERGY

Everything except the date will be the same as last summer's event, so here is the previous year's post info copied over... [I'll re-edit anything that I notice]:

3- 3 1/2 hours nawth from the ME/NH border up I-95 and State highways
    Shopping amenities 50 miles before / min amenities w/in 5 miles
    carry-in boat launch with parking
    20 min paddle to site
    pit toilets, picnic tables, fire pits
    LOTs of tree pairs!!!
    3 separate areas [one large group style/ 2 single family
    17 mile long, clean, clear lake
    Sandy beach strand + hugemongous boulders and granite outcrops
    Swimming, fishing, etc. For day hikes you would have to go back across the lake. The AT crosses a few miles away, and runs along the crest behind the site [you cannot get to it from our site! It also does not seem that there is any easy hike in to reach the site.]

There is [STILL] a tentative "promise" from my buddy Ed/TheOtherGezzer to have acquired a small skiff [with an equally small outboard] by that time. This would mean that folks could get towed over in anything from a tube on up... More Will Be Revealed

There is usually plenty of wildlife to be seen... eagles, ospreys, herons, mergansers and other water ducks are usually all over the water. Even the larger stuff like moose are not out of the question, but I have never been bothered by any of the usual nighttime critters coming around to check out the campsites... 'cept the noise of the red squirrels.

Oh, yeah.... the directions will actually include the beloved phrase, "Now, after you turn off the hardtop..."

You understand it's about 3 1/2 hours from the state line ?.... OK, everything by then is pretty much just Maine... "The Way Life Is Supposed To Be"!

The location is Flagstaff Lake, near Eustis and Stratton, Maine.... details are in the previous years threads and will be added on here at some point.

You can find a few more photos and the discussion over on the previous "interest ?" thread>>> https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nterest-thread
    AND on last years trip report>>> hammockforums.net/forum/...mystery+paddle

This is an absolutely incredible campsite maintained by one of the local community development corporations. The low bluff over the lake has been cleared of underbrush and the trees trimmed back to about 15 feet above the ground. Depending on how many people signed up, we may end up in there pretty higgledy-piggledy, but there should be plenty of room... Anybody who wants to move a little further back into the puckerbrush certainly can do so.
    There are also a couple of other sites right around the lake shore. If anybody wants to paddle little little further a field, there is a small island maybe half a mile of the lake. [limited trees though]

Access is graded in to a maintained, but not patrolled, parking area. There is a second parking area for overflow after unloading.
    We will have to carry our canoes or kayaks in about 100 yards on a paved path.
    Perhaps 4 miles down the lake towards civilization there is an actual state maintained boat launch.

Since this hang falls someplace between humping up a mountain and being able to just reach into the back gate of your SUV for the gas grill and charcoal, we will have to agree on plans for any shared meals we might want to work up.
    There is plenty of driftwood that can be gathered, and downed wood as well, but there is never any telling how damp it might be. I've never had a trouble starting a fire, but..... We may want to talk about bringing some dried log bundles as well.

Both of those are contingent somewhat on whether TheOtherGeezer comes through with a skiff, whether our new friend from last year [who lives year-round on the lake] might accommodate us, or if anyone else is able to bring along a johnboat with a small outboard motor that could tote that little bit extra across the lake.
    I have both a 14' canoe and four kayaks. Two are small, but they are perfectly safe on the lake.
    Partly, transportation will hinge on individual's willingness to shuttle back and forth across the lake if there are those who do not have their own vessel.

NOTE::: I may not be able to attend the 2019 hang depending on my plans for selling my home here in Maine, but others are perfectly capable of covering the last minute deetz....
    I plan to register the campsite and acquire our fire permit on that Thursday [I was told by one of the board that the permit is what gives us priority claim to the site]. I will be going over at least long enough to claim my own tree pair, even if it's just with yellow tape.

Please do remember that this will likely still be late blackfly season. Blackflies are a nuisance, but do not be overly concerned with them. Like mosquitoes, they have a preference for some blood types. You could find that they are of no concern to you, OR they could drive you bat **** crazy. For most people they are merely an annoyance... When I first moved to Maine I had to have them explained to me... I seriously thought they were just some kind of fruit fly with a bit of attitude.
    Be sure to bring along your favorite bug repellent, and have treated your gear if you so desire. You can grab one of the bug nets that you can wear over your head & hat for about $3.99 at Walmart... Pick one up.
    OR: Grab one of the electronic, battery powered, Bug Zzzzapper rackets... I will certainly be bringing mine along. That blue ***bzzzt-FLASH*** is a whole evening's worth an of entertainment.
    It will also be early tick season. Plan on checking yourself over a couple times a day, or make friends and let somebody else do it.

Indicate your interest in the thread below and WATCH FOR MORE DEETZ ON THIS "HOME" PAGE.....
    Last edited by attroll; 01-05-2019 at 17:03.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    It's in the calendar!!! I hope we can make it this year! Who knows though at this point, but at least it's in the calendar.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    SMR TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch straps
    It's on my calendar too!
    Grey Eagle
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” John Muir

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Put in in the calendar, looks like I'll at least have Saturday/Sunday off that week. Will def know more closer to to June.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    BIG NEWS: My house here in Maine, unexpectedly and in an entirely unplanned manner, went under contract to sell today. Closing for mid-April.

This means that I will probably NOT BE ABLE TO HONCHO THE LAKE TRIP THIS YEAR.

No reason it can't go ahead as planned... there ain't anything to it beyond going up the road 3 miles to sign up for the fire permit before you go across [no resident requirements]

I will probably be prioritising the Harold Hang for a trip back up... way lots to do, and a great adventure awaits!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    Hoping to join this paddle and hang this year.
    Congratulations on the sale of your home.

This is killing me, but I don't think I'll make this hang. I, too, am moving south (though not as far as Flash), and a 9+ hour drive -- with a kayak on top of my car -- probably won't happen.

But I'm keeping it penciled in on my calendar just in case.

I am going to miss all you NEHHA-ers!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    SMR TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ljane View Post
    This is killing me, but I don't think I'll make this hang. I, too, am moving south (though not as far as Flash), and a 9+ hour drive -- with a kayak on top of my car -- probably won't happen.

But I'm keeping it penciled in on my calendar just in case.

I am going to miss all you NEHHA-ers!
    That's too bad as I have found the starting point for the hike to the camp site.
    Grey Eagle
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Eagle View Post
    That's too bad as I have found the starting point for the hike to the camp site.
    No way! I'll have to bump this hang up on the priority list.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    SMR TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ljane View Post
    No way! I'll have to bump this hang up on the priority list.
    It will be twice as long as the logging road is blocked with boulders so will be challenging.
    Grey Eagle

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast