Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks

The borows withe the horizontal baffles at the foot end.

What is there purpose and why isn't there a dropdown menu for that?

Also do they do this with any of the underqulits?

Pete

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good question...I don't know the answer but I will say I prefer the older quilts with everything horizontal. Since any part of the quilt tucked underneath me and on the sides will be compressed, it's not doing much to insulate. On the other hand, with horizontal baffles, I can "clap" the ends of the baffles, which pushes to down towards the middle of the quilt, therefore providing much more loft where I need it to stay warm...on top of my body.

I suppose you can say the same with vertical, moving more down up or down (torso or legs), but that's more distance than I want to mess with when migrating down.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That is a great question!

Beyond the fact that we like how it looks, the horizontal baffles in the footbox area create a break between the torso section to minimize down movement. Most down migration occurs, especially with quilts / bags with premium down, via gravity and tossing / turning, so our vertical baffling in the torso section helps combat that. When the chambers are all horizontal, down tended to migrate away from your torso to the sides of the quilt. Since our Burrow is tapered and the footbox area wraps around, there is far less movement possible for the down. Our underquilts are built with vertical baffling the entire length of the quilt to combat gravity as well. If you were to have horizontal baffling on an underquilt, oftentimes that down will migrate away from the sides of the quilt, leaving your sides without insulation.

This becomes less of an issue the lower the down fill power is. If a company uses 600 fill power, etc., they need a lot more down to achieve the same loft that our 800, 850, and 950 fill power down provides. More down in each chamber equals less possible movement within the quilt and a heavier bag.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisnakh View Post

Beyond the fact that we like how it looks, the horizontal baffles in the footbox area create a break between the torso section to minimize down movement. Most down migration occurs, especially with quilts / bags with premium down, via gravity and tossing / turning, so our vertical baffling in the torso section helps combat that. When the chambers are all horizontal, down tended to migrate away from your torso to the sides of the quilt. Since our Burrow is tapered and the footbox area wraps around, there is far less movement possible for the down. Our underquilts are built with vertical baffling the entire length of the quilt to combat gravity as well. If you were to have horizontal baffling on an underquilt, oftentimes that down will migrate away from the sides of the quilt, leaving your sides without insulation.

This becomes less of an issue the lower the down fill power is. If a company uses 600 fill power, etc., they need a lot more down to achieve the same loft that our 800, 850, and 950 fill power down provides. More down in each chamber equals less possible movement within the quilt and a heavier bag.

Great explanation of the pros and cons!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisnakh View Post

So is this offered on the site of r only as custom work sir???

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I have 2 Burrows, a -10° with the older style baffles and an Econ 40° with the newer style. I much prefer the new to the old. Especially for the -10°, there is SO much down in it that it will actually "bridge" across my torso if I don't tuck it enough, this then creates a larger area for my body to heat up and the down isn't directly on my body. In extreme conditions this can reduce the effectiveness of the quilt drastically. So far it hasn't been a big problem since I typically always use my Snugpak Thermalon TQ liner with it , which helps keep my body heat in the quilt if it comes untucked a little. I'm deff not complaining about the -10° Burrow , it's absolutely AMAZING. I ordered it right before they switched to the new baffle direction so it's certainly not HG's fault Although, If I could go back I time I'd wait a month or so to order it so it had the new baffle direction. I've also had a JRB winter nest which has horizontal baffles instead of the vertical like an Incubator. Jrb lists it as an advantage so you can migrate the down underneath you to give it more loft in that area and lower it's rating slightly. Again, I loved the quilt and JRB does awesome work, I just didn't like baffles since I was constantly pushing the down back up the sides to keep my shoulder and feet warm. And if it was windy, having less down on the sides was even more noticeable. The quilt was also bought used and had lost some it's loft, so that , coupled with the baffle direction lead me to my first Incubator, and my next, and my next...... Lol. But yeah, having the new style in my 40° is great and I'm happy they made the change
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Plus it just looks cool.
    But like all things...you will never please everybody.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammock Gear - 1.6 with Net
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Plus it just looks cool.
    But like all things...you will never please everybody.
    Shug

What size and temp rating is that Shug?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    What size and temp rating is that Shug?
    A 20º Standard length.
    See it in video below at 14 minutes in
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammock Gear - 1.6 with Net
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    I'm guessing you are around my size. I bought the 20 deg. standard length WIDE but that thing might end up too warm for me. We don't have those MN winter temps here.

Oh well... if it ends up wrong I'll just flip it and buy another.

Thanks for the feedback!

• + New Posts