Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Images
    Don't mind me though. I'm just here for the fashion tips.
    vb_shirt.jpg
    0629172158.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm still around. Not much interested in vapor barriers, but I am interested in how many posts and number of words you guys can actually post on this topic. So far, 227 posts and I can't even imagine the number of words devoted to this topic! Given that there are only a handful of you participating, that's amazing!
    Thanks for keeping the statistics for us, SS!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Don't mind me though. I'm just here for the fashion tips.
    vb_shirt.jpg
    0629172158.jpg
    lol when your derriere is frozen those are the most beautiful garments on Earth!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Did you at any point have to wear another layer on top of the LHG rain jacket?
    Yes, I did. With temps in the teens and using a 30deg TQ and 20deg UQ, I augmented with Montbell TEC down pants and a MB Alpine light parka, which is a very light sewn-thru design. Torso/head were plenty warm but legs got a little cool mainly because my UQ quilt adjustment was way off... got a used Incubator here thru gearswap and haven't got it dialed yet with the hammock I was using, a 10ft Darien with 1.2 Robic.

My bad... I should've played with it a little more in the woods beforehand to get it tweaked.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images

OldPappy from Jan 2015

I just stumbled onto this old post from Pappy, and it struck me as particularly applicable to much of our previous discussion, so I thought I would copy it over here.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=brave+souls

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Finally got back out last night. It was +28F, damp, and lite breeze all night.
    Got/used a 'stephenson warmlite' VB shirt - interesting style (ya, BillyBob and I are now ready for the Disco Clubs but we seem to be 30 years late).
    The VB shirt does work well worn next to the skin with a warm outer garment (fleece pullover). I was warm and comfortable all night - no condensation or sweat in any of my 25F insulation or UQP.
    However - being a last minute decision to camp out I was not prepared to VB my legs - I had on separate VBs for shirt (neck to crotch) and feet. Normally my feet stay warm in this exact VB that I've used a dozen times before, but with the legs in fleece PJs without VB, my feet were cool - not cold but not warm either.
    Next I'll add the VB for the legs and put the space blanket back on top of my UQ like I did a couple weeks ago and see if the condensation is eliminated. Just another excuse to test some more :>)
    With shipping the Medium size VB shirt was $32 out of pocket and so far I really like it.

Question: I went for a 3 mile hike (6F to 8F) with VB shirt and was warm without sweating. I sat around house (68F) and was warm without sweating. I slept out in 28F temps and was warm without sweating. I do a cold weather fishing trip each spring and was wondering if the VB shirt might be a welcome relief for the penetrating cold when along the streams.
    Has anyone tried wearing a VB shirt for several days/nights in a row while on a camp trip if no excretion was expected? Would several days cause a major stink? If none have tried this, I'll ask Stephenson's.

Notice he has quite a few experiences there, from active at 6F to sitting in the house at 68F ans stuff in between: no sweating. I can't remember if I asked you, OldPap, back then: hiking at 6F, any other layers over the VB? I bet you did, but how many/how thick, if you did not sweat?

BTW, you(Pap) asked me earlier(in this thread) if I ever washed that thing, and I forgot to answer. I finally did recently, but only due shaming by my wife and general embarrassment about not washing it. But it still never got even the least odor. And I am very aware of body odor in clothing or on myself. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to smell even the least odor in that shirt. Whatever lining(FuzzyStuff) they are using is fantastic in the regard.

EDIT: see also see OldPappy's post #48, #50 and #52 in above thread, all very informative.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-19-2019 at 17:08.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    What Olpappy documented is right in line with what I experienced. I had to laugh at the end of post 52 where he said he was easily chilled once he got home and took the VB off. I experienced the exact same thing!!! I wanted to crawl back into my VB!

The SWL gear is nice, but all things considered (price mostly) I think the Frogg Togg Ultar-lite2 rain suit is all I really need at the temps I have around here (usually 10* to 20* lows). I think it would work to colder temps (at least 0*) but have not had the chance to test it.

I understand that Frogg Toggs are supposed to breath, but in my experience none of these breathable fabrics actually breath, at least not in any meaningful way. If I wore the Frogg Toggs over several layers of insulation I'm certain it would be a sweaty mess underneath. By wearing the VB next to the skin, or over a thin base layer, none of the clamminess has manifested itself.

The longest I've worn mine was about 2.5 days, and I had no noticeable odor... but then I always smell like roses...

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I'm sure I had a jacket on when walking at 6F but I don't recall what one. No matter, I don't own any quality cold weather gear so the jacket was a max 20F comfort zone for me and I was warm at 6F. I just wanted to try it.

I too am amazed that my Stephenson VB shirt never smelled bad - a light sweet sweat smell after being rolled up for the summer, but never smelled bad and that was even after wearing it for 4 days on a trout fishing trip (not heavy exertion but lots of walking up streams and evenings by the fire).
    However, I did gently hand wash my SWL shirt when I pulled it out this season (for the 1st time).

I just like to test gear during the winter to support knowing my options for my spring trip along the Va/W VA border (Bath county VA) when all 4 seasons can/do happen in a week. The hardest part of my trip prep is choosing what gear to bring. My FroggTogs always come as rain/wind protection but I know how to use it as a VB if needed. The SWL shirt rolls up to the size of a softball BUT isn't dual purpose. Thus I'll wear it if weather is right, but not pack it (but I'll have it in the car with some extra just in case items). SWL is comfortable for long term use - Rain Gear not so much.

Somewhere along the way I tested SilNylon rain pants for 1 night (sailing pants) as VB, but cheap FroggTogg ULs worked better.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    VB update:

Near my back woods hanging spot a 12 inch oak tree generously gave up its life so I could replenish the fire pit wood supply (the tree volunteered and fell on its own).

Temp 30 degrees that felt pretty nippy. I was wearing a polypro base layer top (no bottoms), then the SWL VB top (no bottoms), then a fleece jacket. Yes, I did sweat. Never in my life have I cut firewood and avoided sweating, no matter the temperature.

With the VB I had three advantages: 1) I could peal off the fleece and VB and get immediate relief from the heat, which was soon followed by getting cold. 2) The cold feeling immediately stopped once I put the VB back on with the abrupt end of evaporation cooling. 3) My fleece jacket stayed dry the whole time. If I had been out on a multi-day trip, this would have been significant.

I would have overheated less without the fleece, but the VB would have been torn to shreds without the protection of the fleece.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Just in...my TyChem suit. Full coverage from head to toe for $11. Total Breaking Bad style out in the woods. Hopefully the DEA doesn't see me.

PERFECT fit. The only notable leakage could be from the zipper, but after my damp trip down to -16F recently I'm sure this will knock out most or all moisture getting into my quilts and hammock.

Ridiculous, but I ask myself "how bad do you want dry quilts on multinight, cold trips?"

I should have taken this last weekend up in northern MI. The bugs were intense. Just intense.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I should have taken this last weekend up in northern MI. The bugs were intense. Just intense.
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast