Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle webbing

Down top quilt care on the trail

I’ve just made the switch to down for both my top and bottom quilts so am new to living with down.

My usual camping is in moderate weather, but my upcoming trip will see some shoulder weather temperature swings. I’m concerned about either sweating or dealing with condensation, something I’ve never had to really think about with my synthetic sleeping bag.

I do sleep in moisture wicking garments and socks (mostly to keep things clean).

Do you air things out in the morning during breakfast? Is it OK to pack up a down TQ/UQ and then air it out when you set up camp at the end of the day? Let’s start with those questions…
    “If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” - Mark Twain, 1894

Down is much more resilient than most imagine. It will cope with minor dampness. So long as the quilts aren’t soaking then packing them damp for a few hours won’t hurt them.

Simply air the quilts when conditions allow. That might be at any time of the day- sun and a bit of breeze while having lunch- spread out the quilts.

If the weather is continually damp then you have to be really careful in your usage and might not get them fully dry.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    Down is much more resilient than most imagine. It will cope with minor dampness. So long as the quilts aren’t soaking then packing them damp for a few hours won’t hurt them.

Simply air the quilts when conditions allow. That might be at any time of the day- sun and a bit of breeze while having lunch- spread out the quilts.

If the weather is continually damp then you have to be really careful in your usage and might not get them fully dry.
    I concur! I got rid of a 40 year old down sleeping bag a few years ago. The down was still fine, but the shell was so much heavier than modern stuff. As long as you store it loose, either hanging or in a big cotton bag, it will last for years, even with rough conditions on trail.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Take advantage of any sunshine and breeze to air your quilt . On moist nights and foggy nights the quilt can feel damp on top. It is usually just the fabric. So get it in the sun if you can.
    And yes, sometimes you just have to pack them a bit damp. Just part of the game....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle webbing
    Thanks all y’all! I have to admit being a bit nervous about down so the answers really helped bunches. Mornings will theoretically be up and out early so good to know that barely damp quilts can be stored and aired out in the late afternoon sun.

Kayakers are highly opinionated about down, almost as much as the skeg vs. rudder thing, with lots of worries about mishaps tilting the scales to synthetics. Down takes up sooo much less room though. The quilts are going into zipper reusable bags and then into dry bags just to be sure!
    “If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” - Mark Twain, 1894

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    KayakerBee, I had one - count'em - one experience (in my tent days) on Vargas Island that put the fear of moisture in me.
    Here it comes:
    HereItComes.jpg

Everything Wet:
    EverytingWet.jpg

Because of that experience, when I switched to hammocks I started out with synthetic TQ/UQ. But I did move to down and have not had a problem. Granted, I've never experienced that all-encompassing heavy dew again. So it depends on where you paddle. The interior of the tent was dry - but it had a closed zipper door. I don't know if a tarp with doors would provide the same protection. If I were in my hammock, I'd have an underquilt protector (UQP) on the bottom and perhaps the built-in bug net would provide some protection for the TQ. Note that the sun came out the next day and everything got aired/dried out.

I pack my quilts in a Sea-to-Summit waterproof compression bag. It has a GoreTex® like end panel (eVent) that lets the air escape as it's compressed. That either goes in the bow of my kayak (with a tether line for retrieval) or the back hatch, depending upon the rest of the gear.

I'm not at all concerned about heavy, blowy, rain storms; my tarps are up to the task. But that pervasive wet fog would be a different matter. I don't paddle on the west coast of Vancouver Island anymore; the east side is much more benign - especially for my current paddling partners.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    KayakerBee, I had one - count'em - one experience (in my tent days) on Vargas Island that put the fear of moisture in me.
    Because of that experience, when I switched to hammocks I started out with synthetic TQ/UQ. But I did move to down and have not had a problem. Granted, I've never experienced that all-encompassing heavy dew again. So it depends on where you paddle. The interior of the tent was dry - but it had a closed zipper door. I don't know if a tarp with doors would provide the same protection. If I were in my hammock, I'd have an underquilt protector (UQP) on the bottom and perhaps the built-in bug net would provide some protection for the TQ. Note that the sun came out the next day and everything got aired/dried out.

I pack my quilts in a Sea-to-Summit waterproof compression bag. It has a GoreTex® like end panel (eVent) that lets the air escape as it's compressed. That either goes in the bow of my kayak (with a tether line for retrieval) or the back hatch, depending upon the rest of the gear.

I'm not at all concerned about heavy, blowy, rain storms; my tarps are up to the task. But that pervasive wet fog would be a different matter. I don't paddle on the west coast of Vancouver Island anymore; the east side is much more benign - especially for my current paddling partners.
    Well there’s a thought…getting fogged in. My original question sprang from reading another thread here on vapor barriers and cold weather and if moisture was going to build up in the quilt overnight. Hadn’t thought about persistent fog. Fog isn’t unusual around Lake Superior but I don’t think it’s anything like you experienced. Hope not anyway.

Compression bag question. Do you compress things into a hard ball or leave things a bit squishy? That’s yet another paddling debate!

I have to laugh when paddlers mention tether lines for retrieval. I’m tall with very long arms and never thought I’d need one…until I tried to get the bag I stuffed up in the bow on my first real kayak camper. There were some pretty unladylike-like positions needed to get that bag!

Re packing:

I don’t use separate bags for each item as you end up with a series of balls that don’t pack well. I just shove everything into one bag letting the soft items flow around the hard objects so all the space is filled. This is for bikepacking rather than kayaking.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I receive calls from customers with older quilts who were starting to notice diminished performance. They usually ask if we will restuff their quilt with new down since the old down stopped working. After asking them a few questions it is always the case of a well-used quilt that has never been properly cleaned. The good news is no new down is needed and after cleaning, the quilt is back to its original loft and performance.

The interesting part is how old/well-used some of these quilts are. Some are well over 10 years old and have never been washed. OK, with light use, clean camping, and the use of a liner a quilt could easily go 10 years without a cleaning before a notable drop in performance. Then there are the multiple triple-crowners who carried the same quilt on all three hikes and then start noticing that their quilt isn't lofting as well. I think that really illustrates the durability of down.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I receive calls from customers with older quilts who were starting to notice diminished performance. They usually ask if we will restuff their quilt with new down since the old down stopped working. After asking them a few questions it is always the case of a well-used quilt that has never been properly cleaned. The good news is no new down is needed and after cleaning, the quilt is back to its original loft and performance.

The interesting part is how old/well-used some of these quilts are. Some are well over 10 years old and have never been washed. OK, with light use, clean camping, and the use of a liner a quilt could easily go 10 years without a cleaning before a notable drop in performance. Then there are the multiple triple-crowners who carried the same quilt on all three hikes and then start noticing that their quilt isn't lofting as well. I think that really illustrates the durability of down.
    My Dad always said “buy good stuff and then take care of it”!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast