Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I should have taken this last weekend up in northern MI. The bugs were intense. Just intense.
    Wow! I know I am known as a VB fan, but at the moment
    the very thought of a VB seems very unpleasant! I’d rather
    be wet with some evaporatorative cooling taking place!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow! I know I am known as a VB fan, but at the moment
    the very thought of a VB seems very unpleasant! I’d rather
    be wet with some evaporatorative cooling taking place!
    Haha, perhaps I need to research a bee-keepers suit! I can't wait until fall.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I should have taken this last weekend up in northern MI. The bugs were intense. Just intense.
    Good thing you had a hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I mentioned this earlier, or in another thread.

https://www.campmor.com/c/vapor-barr...-regular-41360

I finally pulled the trigger. $28 shipped after discount. I'll give it a try next time the temp falls below 15° or so...or whenever I have a feeling it will be a cold and damp night. So, basically anytime under 15° really.

Images
    I mentioned this earlier, or in another thread.

https://www.campmor.com/c/vapor-barr...-regular-41360

I finally pulled the trigger. $28 shipped after discount. I'll give it a try next time the temp falls below 15° or so...or whenever I have a feeling it will be a cold and damp night. So, basically anytime under 15° really.
    Well, that will for sure get the job done. And, the price is right. I personally prefer VB clothing. Especially if I can figure out one layer that I can replace with it. For example, since it(Stephenson's Warmlite) has a very comfy lining, I don't need a thin long john layer next to my skin. And or, due to the greatly increased warmth, maybe I can figure out one of my outer insulation layers to leave behind. Bottom line, if I can work that out, the weight/bulk saved equals or exceeds the added weight/bulk of the VB clothing, since I find it weighs about the same as a Jong John layer, or fairly close.

That also allows me to wear clothing over the VB clothing inside my quilt, which can be a positive when having to get up during the night. And I can wear it around camp, or if really skilled, while hiking on those really rough days. (but you know about that, with VB socks).

OTOH, that VB liner might also allow you to use a lighter bag, and/or there is the possibility that you just would not like VB clothing. So I'm glad you got it, and look forward to your reports on how it works, pro or con!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I considered clothing, but this will eliminate any extra clothing and possible leaks. I like the idea of one opening I can easily control. 10oz and done with one item. Better not leak!

Images
    I considered clothing, but this will eliminate any extra clothing and possible leaks. I like the idea of one opening I can easily control. 10oz and done with one item. Better not leak!
    I'm really Looking forward to your reports! It will be interesting to see if you find it worth the effort and the possible clammy feeling. It won't leak. I have never noticed all that much collected liquid, even when I over heat a bit and sweat. As for condensation on my clothing or space blankets, since both have been kept close to the body and warm, it has really been minimal.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I hope an added benefit will be "sharing" the warmth. I may not need socks since my feet will be in the same warm climate as my entire body. Kind of like fingers in gloves vs mittens. I wouldn't want socks anyway since they would likely get damp.

Images
    I hope an added benefit will be "sharing" the warmth. I may not need socks since my feet will be in the same warm climate as my entire body. Kind of like fingers in gloves vs mittens. I wouldn't want socks anyway since they would likely get damp.
    "sharing the warmth". Like a mitten. Interesting concept. But you might need something ultra thin to keep the coated nylon off of your skin. That contact wth my bare skin is not the worst sensation, but it is also not the best.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    "sharing the warmth". Like a mitten. Interesting concept. But you might need something ultra thin to keep the coated nylon off of your skin. That contact wth my bare skin is not the worst sensation, but it is also not the best.
    My very personal/subjective/anecdotal experience is that once I reach a certain level of dampness it just sort of stops building up, strongly tempered with the caveat that this for a non-exercise situation and that I'm carefully venting the quilt to avoid overheating.

In my experiment a few pages earlier in this thread I actually wore some layers under the VB to see what would happen if I didn't strip down to my skivvies—which I find excruciatingly annoying and time-consuming when it's cold—and found out that I got only slightly damp, so little that it dried out quickly in the morning after removing VB.

My remaining issue is having the non-breathable material do double-duty as both rain gear and VB. The hooded rain jacket is fine because it has huge pit zips and is easy enough to ventilate, but the pants have an inadequate vent option, which is a couple of velcro-ed 'slits' at the top. I've going to have some long side zippers put into the legs and then I think those will have adequate venting as well.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast