Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    My very personal/subjective/anecdotal experience is that once I reach a certain level of dampness it just sort of stops building up
    It's amazing how that works. My feet are probably the sweatiest...or at least first to sweat. Last winter after hiking and working hard for about 5 hours there was NO actual liquid buildup inside the VB sock. Just clammy, steaming feet which were easy to dry off quick and cover with a nice dry sock for camp.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    It's amazing how that works. My feet are probably the sweatiest...or at least first to sweat. Last winter after hiking and working hard for about 5 hours there was NO actual liquid buildup inside the VB sock. Just clammy, steaming feet which were easy to dry off quick and cover with a nice dry sock for camp.
    This bodes well for your Hazmat suit!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    This bodes well for your Hazmat suit!
    It started as a joke but then I actually considered it. I think I'll start with the VB bag first and see how it goes. Looking forward to having a 100% dry (or close to it) TQ in the deep winter.

Images
    My very personal/subjective/anecdotal experience is that once I reach a certain level of dampness it just sort of stops building up, strongly tempered with the caveat that this for a non-exercise situation and that I'm carefully venting the quilt to avoid overheating.

In my experiment a few pages earlier in this thread I actually wore some layers under the VB to see what would happen if I didn't strip down to my skivvies—which I find excruciatingly annoying and time-consuming when it's cold—and found out that I got only slightly damp, so little that it dried out quickly in the morning after removing VB.

My remaining issue is having the non-breathable material do double-duty as both rain gear and VB. The hooded rain jacket is fine because it has huge pit zips and is easy enough to ventilate, but the pants have an inadequate vent option, which is a couple of velcro-ed 'slits' at the top. I've going to have some long side zippers put into the legs and then I think those will have adequate venting as well.
    About wearing some clothing under the VB. Assuming over heating and sweating can be avoided, I can probably usually get away with it, even if theoretically bad form. Since naturally, it is optimum to keep as much insulation as possible as dry as possible.

Recently, I guess in another thread about VBs, I posted this:
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    .................................................. ...But OTOH, in recent years I have steadily pushed the limits of when I can use VBs, and (mainly for the fun of experimentation, just to see if I can do it) have used them in temps and circumstances(hiking, the hardest to pull off! ) I never thought I would. And it is quite a coincidence to see these 2 posts from OneClick and Cmoulder. Because just yesterday I was doing some back yard testing of the 90* HT + pad. It was not what this southern boy would normally consider cold, in the 60sF. But man what a wind chill! (BTW, could not feel the wind at all through the Neoair All Season pad, though it was bouncing me around in the hammock)

When I got out there in my short sleeved cotton T shirt, in the shade, the wind just seemed to cut right through me! I decided I was going to need something, but what? Out of several options, just for fun, I decided on my lined SWL VB shirt, over my cotton T shirt. So I wore that as I set up the hammock and pad, and as I was laying in it. Somewhat surprisingly, it turned out to be perfect, and very comfortable! The wind was- as expected- totally blocked. But sometimes if wearing a light waterproof/breathable rain jacket over bare skin or cotton T shirt, though wind proof, it is still somewhat cold as the wind pushes that thin layer against my skin. But I was comfortably warm during the strongest gusts of wind, but not warm enough to sweat during this light exertion. After an hour or 2, when I went in and took the VB shirt off, there was no obvious dampness. Though I am sure there was some in the liner, but I never felt it at all. My cotton T shirt did not seem damp at all. But if I had been working harder, I would have definitely been sweating. Of course, working hard enough and I would have been sweating under anything, but my outer layers would be absorbing it. Which becomes an issue once I slow down.
    So, though the "rule" that I have mostly followed (and the breaking of which has been the down fall of so many folks who try VBs and then hate them for life) is to have nothing under the VB (Except the minimum you must have for comfort, which will be sacrificed to dampness), clearly sometimes, maybe often, we can get away with it. And even if some moisture accumulates, if we are wearing synthetic items, it probably won't be all that bad.

And especially if there is a final layer of insulation worn over the VB- to keep the VB from reaching the dew point- we probably will get away with it, at least until we over heat and sweat. But, still, when I am discussing such with VB noobs, I tend to be dogmatic about "NOTHING under the VB except what you are willing to get wet", because they have this tendency to have the VB exposed to the cold, and end up with wet insulation, cold and irritated with VBs. My main concern is that they have a successful first experience. I figure they can figure out the nuances about how many ways they can use this advantageously after they have mastered the basic theory.

Another example of clothing on the skin side of the VB is my long running(and 100% successful) experiment with the HHSS. That space blanket is always under whatever insulation I have inside the hammock. It has even rarely been underneath some light insulation I have put under the hammock, on top of the space blanket. But the trick is: I have always(except when I messed up and paid the price) had the main insulation under the space blanket, keeping that VB warm. And over 13 years, with it being the only system I used backpacking and car/yard camping for 2 winter seasons, and occasional use after that, I have NEVER had a problem with moisture period.

Of course, that space blanket under the hammock is not quite the same thing as being sealed inside VB clothing or liners. But I think back on my 30 day NOLS course back in the mid 80s. Mind you, we did not come out of the wilderness boundary for 30 days, except for an hour or 2 on 4 days, just long enough to cross the wilderness boundary into the national forest where food was legally cached. Load it up and head right back into the wilderness. IOW, lots of opportunity for things to go wrong for many people who had never been in wilderness before. So, they not only would not allow down, they also would not allow GoreTex. All rain gear was coated nylon. I remember being very irritated with them about that, but those were there rules based on their experience. But here is the thing: summer temps were generally cool(sometimes warm) and windy, with a storm at the end of June bringing well over a foot of snow and a low of 24F. If we had on insulation, and if it was raining or snowing, then we had on VB rain gear over all of the insulation. We all had VBs as the outer cold layer over insulation. And guess what: we all made it. The main torso rain gear was a Cagoule(sp?), similar to a poncho, so there could be some air getting under it to help vent. You can see it hanging down loosely like a skirt in this picture:

Drying out the next day. That is me(in June 85) in the green on the right, with a breathable wind shell and 100% synthetic insulation. My partner has 100% wool, if memory serves.

So, we for the most part did not get our synthetic or wool insulation totally soaked or even noticeably wet with condensation or sweat even with this worse case scenario of VB clothing on the cold side of all of our SYNTHETIC(or wool) insulation. At least not wet enough to loose all loft.

Could we have been more comfy with WPB rain gear? I think so, assuming it also did it's job of keeping us dry for 30 straight days, which the instructors did not trust it to do. But did we die from hypothermia? No. Did it keep us dry from the outside and block the wind? Yes. Obviously, down clothing would have been a problem in this system. But one thing I wish I had the sense to put to use on that cold, shivering night after that all day hike and river crossing(Tyrolean Traverse) in the wind and snow. We all knew VB theory then, but no one used it. My rented(they would not allow me to take my down bag) beat up Hollow fill bag was probably not actually warm for a dry 35-40, much less a wet 24F under a tarp with pads on the snow, and I had a miserable night. One of just a couple of nights shivering over 36 years of back packing. But if I had just thought to put my coated nylon rain gear over my synthetic Long Johns, with all of my insulated clothing over that, all inside my synthetic bag, I am convinced I would have had a warm, comfy sleep, rather that the miserable night I had.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-30-2019 at 11:36.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Last winter I experimented with a thin silk layer under my VB top and bottom. I absolutely loved how the two performed together and until I get a set of Stevenson’s I’ll keep this system for cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Last winter I experimented with a thin silk layer under my VB top and bottom. I absolutely loved how the two performed together and until I get a set of Stevenson’s I’ll keep this system for cold weather.

Goof info, TxAggie!

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Goof info, TxAggie!
    Oh, and my cheap VB is a $20 “Sweat suit” Walmart sells in their exercise department.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I mentioned this earlier, or in another thread.

https://www.campmor.com/c/vapor-barr...-regular-41360

I finally pulled the trigger. $28 shipped after discount. I'll give it a try next time the temp falls below 15° or so...or whenever I have a feeling it will be a cold and damp night. So, basically anytime under 15° really.
    Just got this in. Nice quality, good length, REALLY ugly khaki/tan color. The seam isn't sealed so I wonder if those thread holes will leak enough body moisture to matter? I think I'll try it first then seal them if necessary since that will be easy.

Slithering into this thing at 10PM at 4°? Big time suck. Waking up with totally dry quilts and gear? Will be amazing!

Images
    Not to shift the topic too much, but what's your solution for moisture from your breath condensing on the top of your TQ? Have you found that to be not much of a problem? I usually get quite a bit. It's most annoying when temps aren't cold enough for that moisture to freeze.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Not to shift the topic too much, but what's your solution for moisture from your breath condensing on the top of your TQ? Have you found that to be not much of a problem? I usually get quite a bit. It's most annoying when temps aren't cold enough for that moisture to freeze.
    I do the "frost bib" that you'll see Shug and a lot of others use. Absolutely necessary otherwise the area around your chin will be SOAKED after just minutes. Instead of clipping it to the ridgeline, I just have it over my face, or on my chest like an actual baby's bib. Just to cover that area of the TQ. Works great!

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast