Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    For the leaking panel pullouts, there's this from Brandon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=xPkeUkmHDRs

The water on your face puzzles me. If water was splashing that high, I'd expect your whole hammock to be soaked. That ridgeline doesn't need sealing, so could water be coming under the tarp along the Tarp ridgeline suspension? Could it have been condensation being knocked loose by rain hitting it? For the latter, opening the doors a bit more for airflow might help.

Unless there's a LOT of wind, I don't pull my tarp down low at all. Hanging it wider protects a larger area from straight down rain, and deposits the rain farther away from your hammock, so less likely to splash back. I'm sure there's an optimum angle depending on windspeed, but I just wing it.

Last make sure your hammock suspension driplines are under the tarp, or you mat get a nasty surprise one night. Don't ask how I know.
    It Stumped me 2i thought that the water splash on my underquilt was normal(my fault for deploying the uqp too late ....weather said shower not deluge) but the longer I lay there I noticed a Lil misty feeling on my face. ...I think I'm careful to not pitch so tight that I get mist through. ..I just knew I wanted the edges of my tarp more close to the ground

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    Quote Originally Posted by NETX Wanderer View Post
    In not so worried about the tarp suspension and hammock suspension mingling. ..it's the hammock that stops me from lowering the tarp. ....I consistently look for trees that are 15-18' apart. ...I think o need to hang my straps lower on the tree to accommodate my longer hammock

Not if you're consistently using a good hang angle of 30°.... the only thing that will happen is that you'll end up too low to the ground... UQ will be dragging and it'll be very difficult to get in and out of the hammock. A hang angle shallower than 30° will put more stress on your suspension and SRL.

This is an exercise in geometry. If the angle of the suspension straps is 30° — as it should be — then neither the distance between trees nor the height of the hammock above the ground are factors in the relationship between hammock and tarp.

What stops you from lowering the tarp is the length of the tarp, period.

Don't worry about suspension/tarp/RL touching and rubbing. It's going to happen, it's normal and is not a problem.

Photo below of a 10 foot hammock with a 12 foot tarp, and trees a bit farther apart than I normally like. No worries, worked fine with several hours of rain, some of it pretty hard, though not a bunch of wind because I scouted the area to find a somewhat sheltered area below the ridge. With the system fully loaded, which is to say me lying in the hammock, the tarp ended up about 4 inches or so above the SRL.

Harrimand_tarp_coverage_02.jpg

Additionally, sometimes when misting is felt on the face it is caused by condensation on the underside of the tarp and rain from the outside knocking off the condensation, which produces mist.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spider 2.0+hugger
    I use my hiking poles to measure tree distance.If I hold them at arms length parallel to the ground and observe that there is just the right amount of distance from tip of pole to the tree.This means my tarp will fit between the trees.Yes,I have hung a hammock before only to find out the tarp would not fit.....

After that I mark the center of the distance between the trees so that the hammock center is over that point.This makes for a more symmetrical hang as neither tree is being "crowded" by either end of the hammock.After that sweet spot is located then the straps go up and I look for an angle of no less than 30 degrees;however it should be pointed out that you can get carried away and go too high up the tree which is going to cause a problem with getting the tarp low enough.I think I read somewhere you want the tarp to be about 1 to 1.5 hand widths above your hammock ridge line.I usually put the pack in the hammock to simulate some weight while dialing in the tarp.

After that,because I am a total gadget geek,I observe the little plastic carpenters line level on the hammock ridge line and move it from level to about a half to full bubble off on the foot end by sliding the Dutch Beetle Buckle up the poly dyneema strap.Thanks Dutch!

One thing I often forget to do is to go from lounge mode to sleeping mode by raising the hammock higher off the ground.That's probably not an issue for taller people though but is cost me some splatter on my underquilt on the last trip.We were in a heavily used camping area with bare dirt and I had failed to bring my underquilt protector to save the 5.5 oz. Even though I had anticipated the issue and pulled my tarp out wide there was still some splatter in light to moderate rain with very little wind.

One thing to mention is I always have some hammock suspension and tarp ridgeline interference.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I usually put the pack in the hammock to simulate some weight while dialing in the tarp.
    Brilliant! I hate having to get in & out of my hammock repeatedly to check the finished hang set-up of my tarp/hammock. I have often asked my trailmate to get in my hammock while I dial things in. This is a great idea. Thanks for the insight.
    Deadrise, Derailleurs, & Dirt

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TqUq and pad
    Suspension
    PhantomGrappler
    Some things I’ve done trying to stay dry
    Cuben fiber tarp by Hammock Gear
    13 foot ridge line by 12 foot wide
    No pullouts for me-skeeerd they’d leak
    Pitched high off ground
    Sides pitched wide
    Drip lines on hammock and tarp lines
    Sometimes drape two ponchos over hammock ends
    My tarp does not have doors-I make pretend doors—by crossing corner lines in front of tree like an X, near ground, wrap lines twice around tree-so they won’t ride up, and tie off with a shoestring style bow.
    As you can see—I’ve got wet B4—it’ll happen again—I hope not soon!

Study their posts—good luck☔️

You guys rock all this info is super helpful

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles

Tips and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If the trees are large enough around, sometimes you hang the hammock off one side of the trees and the tarp off the other, crossing over in the middle. It creates just enough bias to hang a larger tarp.
    Oh, I like that. The trees tend to be a bunch bigger here in the NW. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: and OF COURSE I should've assumed you were also in the NW