Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    I had a great time on my first group hang. Lots of very nice folks and a great hike and camp. I have never experienced anything like the dew we experienced in the afternoon and evening. It seemed to continue throughout the night as the temps fell and excess moisture was dumped. All of my gear wash thoroughly saturated and remained so until it dried in the truck on my drive home.

Thanks to all who organized the hang and especially to Mrs. Twenty who fed us so well.

We were fortunate to catch the falls at such a high flow level. I hope someone will post some pictures for all to see. The view was even more remarkable on my hike out as I observed it from the trail beyond the access.

Joe

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by runners_low View Post
    I had a great time on my first group hang. Lots of very nice folks and a great hike and camp. I have never experienced anything like the dew we experienced in the afternoon and evening. It seemed to continue throughout the night as the temps fell and excess moisture was dumped. All of my gear wash thoroughly saturated and remained so until it dried in the truck on my drive home.

Thanks to all who organized the hang and especially to Mrs. Twenty who fed us so well.

We were fortunate to catch the falls at such a high flow level. I hope someone will post some pictures for all to see. The view was even more remarkable on my hike out as I observed it from the trail beyond the access.

Joe
    Here is my pic of the falls. I have a few others if anyone is interested.
    20190105_113902.jpg

I took the path less traveled to the falls by taking the south loop rather than the north Mina Sauk section. I was almost at the junction when I met Twenty Below headed back towards Taum Sauk. He turned around for the junction with the OT to JCI, and quickly left old, slow me well behind. I saw a few other folks headed out backpacking, and decided it might be a bit crowded out there. Also, my fitness level left a bit to be desired, so I headed up the north loop back to the summit of T. S. I saw Dublinin and about a bazillion other folks who were out for (presumably) a day hike. There were still a BUNCH of people headed down at the trailhead. Methinks we might be loving T.S. to death!

I hope everybody found a good spot to hang. Whereabouts did you all end up, if you don't mind my asking? Did you go past the Tollgate. (Did you pay the toll?)

I managed to fall on my way back up and tweak my shoulder. Feeling a bit better today.

I hope to get out at least once each month (on average) this year - my last before reaching full legal retirement age. If anyone is interested, I'll post my plans for future outings, and those interested are free to join. Let me know...

mathineer

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Sorry about the rotated pic. It posted okay on Facebook. Go figure!

mathineer

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    20190105_113902.jpg

I took the path less traveled to the falls by taking the south loop rather than the north Mina Sauk section. I was almost at the junction when I met Twenty Below headed back towards Taum Sauk. He turned around for the junction with the OT to JCI, and quickly left old, slow me well behind. I saw a few other folks headed out backpacking, and decided it might be a bit crowded out there. Also, my fitness level left a bit to be desired, so I headed up the north loop back to the summit of T. S. I saw Dublinin and about a bazillion other folks who were out for (presumably) a day hike. There were still a BUNCH of people headed down at the trailhead. Methinks we might be loving T.S. to death!

I hope everybody found a good spot to hang. Whereabouts did you all end up, if you don't mind my asking? Did you go past the Tollgate. (Did you pay the toll?)

I managed to fall on my way back up and tweak my shoulder. Feeling a bit better today.

I hope to get out at least once each month (on average) this year - my last before reaching full legal retirement age. If anyone is interested, I'll post my plans for future outings, and those interested are free to join. Let me know...

mathineer
    I would be interested in more pictures and also your 2019 hike plans. Did you join the HF once a month 2019 challenge?

I assume you did not camp last night, is that correct?

There were eight of us who camped about one mile past DTG at a very nice spot. Mrmonkeypants carried down a splitting hatchet he used to split larger logs into quarters exposing the dry inside and creating a hot fire that thereafter burned anything we threw on it. We sat around the fire until about 9:30 and retired to wet gear. I have never before seen dew like that.

When I hiked out there were four hammocks east of the creek running into TSC just short of the tollgate. Apparently they decided not to cross the creek, which was way up and could only be rock hopped by going upstream about 75 yards. They must have broken out a private stash of beer (like yours LOL), since there was no movement at the campsite when I went through around 7:30 this morning. It is much easier to share with four than fourteen, just kidding.

Sorry about your fall, I hope it was not serious. Ask any of the eight I camped with, I know all about falling. I was extra careful going down and going up was much less intimidating. Those rocks are very hard and unforgiving.

Joe

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    My wife found this article of the legend of mina-sauk falls.

http://www.semissourian.com/blogs/pa...ds/entry/37094

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    My wife found this article of the legend of mina-sauk falls.

http://www.semissourian.com/blogs/pa...ds/entry/37094
    Good article. I'm pretty sure the tears of Mina-Sauk soaked all our gear last night...

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer003 View Post
    Good article. I'm pretty sure the tears of Mina-Sauk soaked all our gear last night...
    And fell from the trees on Friday night.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    20190105_113902.jpg

mathineer
    Mathineer, you werenÂ’t the only one to slip. I lost my footing at the base of the falls and took a rock solid to my tailbone. Took me about 10 minutes to catch my breathe after that one.

Myself, Dublinlin, Remington the pup, WilliamKelly and his friend mike all called it a day right before the water crossing near devils tollgate. I had really stiffened up and didnÂ’t think I could hop across the creek. It was flowing quite strongly and I didnÂ’t have the confidence to hop much of anything again.

All, thank you very much for a great weekend. It was great to see everyone and get out in January. I have some pictures IÂ’ll post later.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    I would be interested in more pictures and also your 2019 hike plans. Did you join the HF once a month 2019 challenge?

I assume you did not camp last night, is that correct?

There were eight of us who camped about one mile past DTG at a very nice spot. Mrmonkeypants carried down a splitting hatchet he used to split larger logs into quarters exposing the dry inside and creating a hot fire that thereafter burned anything we threw on it. We sat around the fire until about 9:30 and retired to wet gear. I have never before seen dew like that.

When I hiked out there were four hammocks east of the creek running into TSC just short of the tollgate. Apparently they decided not to cross the creek, which was way up and could only be rock hopped by going upstream about 75 yards. They must have broken out a private stash of beer (like yours LOL), since there was no movement at the campsite when I went through around 7:30 this morning. It is much easier to share with four than fourteen, just kidding.

Sorry about your fall, I hope it was not serious. Ask any of the eight I camped with, I know all about falling. I was extra careful going down and going up was much less intimidating. Those rocks are very hard and unforgiving.

Joe
    I'll post plans (they will be a bit spontaneous) - others please do the same!

I did not camp Sat night. I was worried that the established campsites in the valley would be overcrowded, based on the people I met on the way that were heading out and the number of HF folks, and didn't want to add to the crunch. OTOH, maybe there were just a bunch of day hikers going down to the falls, and not many went past there. I packed pretty much everything I expected to need for a night out, but I couldn't find my backpacking chair (that is until I got home where I discovered it in the back seat under some other stuff).

Were the hammockers you passed with our group, or "outsiders"?

Any way, I had a great time. I always love my visits to T.S. The section from the TS/JSI junction to Hwy 21 is very nice, although not as scenic.

Other pics:
    20190104_142550.jpg20190104_160834.jpg20190104_160938.jpg

mathineer

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    20190105_113902.jpg

mathineer
    Mathineer, you werenÂ’t the only one to slip. I lost my footing at the base of the falls and took a rock solid to my tailbone. Took me about 10 minutes to catch my breathe after that one.

Myself, Dublinlin, Remington the pup, WilliamKelly and his friend mike all called it a day right before the water crossing near devils tollgate. I had really stiffened up and didnÂ’t think I could hop across the creek. It was flowing quite strongly and I didnÂ’t have the confidence to hop much of anything again.

All, thank you very much for a great weekend. It was great to see everyone and get out in January. I have some pictures IÂ’ll post later.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast