Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    TxAggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Revelation/Gemini
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Posts
    1,114

    Pondering s of a new DIY-er

    1. My two most used new tools are the sewing machine, followed closely by a seam ripper. A bottle of wine and hard liquor are fighting over the number 3 spot.

    2. My aversion to contrasting thread color is being cured, mostly due to the seam ripper (see #1).

    3. Iíve learned my camping headlight does double duty as task lighting when trying to rip out matching thread. (See #2)

  2. #2
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    White Mountains, New Hampshire
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Posts
    10,555
    Images
    39
    I wholeheartedly agree with all points!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Valpo, IN
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Posts
    1,115
    Black thread and black fabric:
    Makes you look like a pro when you get it right.
    Swear like a sailor when you get it wrong.
    An drink like a fish while you do it.

    If you find yerself pondering how well a seam ripper could be employed fer wrist slitting... it's time to set down the project and try sewing another day.


    You'll get there. These days for me it's sewing machine, thread trimmer, and a beer that are always handy.

    The seam ripper is only for opening the channels on a bridge hammock and rarely gets used for it's intended purpose.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    7,010
    Images
    173
    My most used tool when sewing are my reading glasses. Threading a needle without them requires the aforementioned liquor to calm the irritation. I don't feel like I'm getting older but my body tells me otherwise.
    Last edited by Bubba; 11-07-2018 at 23:55.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  5. #5
    TxAggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Revelation/Gemini
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Black thread and black fabric:
    Makes you look like a pro when you get it right.
    Swear like a sailor when you get it wrong.
    An drink like a fish while you do it.

    If you find yerself pondering how well a seam ripper could be employed fer wrist slitting... it's time to set down the project and try sewing another day.


    You'll get there. These days for me it's sewing machine, thread trimmer, and a beer that are always handy.

    The seam ripper is only for opening the channels on a bridge hammock and rarely gets used for it's intended purpose.
    I havenít gotten to the wrist slitting part, but now Iíll be on the lookout! I love beer, just more calories than whiskey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    My most used tool when sewing are my reading glasses. Threading a needle without them requires the aforementioned liquor to calm the irritation. I don't feel like I'm getting older but my body tells me otherwise.
    Oh yeah, I left out the reading glasses. I used to think I had good eyesight, then I ran into #2 on my list, which led to #3.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,509
    One IPA won't kill you!


    As far as the whiskey, an Islay single-malt would be my choice.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    North Chelmsford, MA
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Hexon 12'
    Insulation
    UQ and bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    One IPA won't kill you!


    As far as the whiskey, an Islay single-malt would be my choice.
    My latest favorite is Laphroaig Select. Never thought a blended scotch could be so good.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

  8. #8
    New Member alexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    san mateo, ca
    Hammock
    dutchware chameleon
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    One IPA won't kill you!


    As far as the whiskey, an Islay single-malt would be my choice.
    cheers to that!! lagavulin and caol ila are among my favorites <3

  9. #9
    ObdewlaX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Deep In The Heart of...
    Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hexon
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5's
    Posts
    364
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    1. My two most used new tools are the sewing machine, followed closely by a seam ripper. A bottle of wine and hard liquor are fighting over the number 3 spot.

    2. My aversion to contrasting thread color is being cured, mostly due to the seam ripper (see #1).

    3. Iíve learned my camping headlight does double duty as task lighting when trying to rip out matching thread. (See #2)
    Very good points & I too became very familiar with the seam ripper during my last DIY project.

    Quote Originally Posted by alexicon View Post
    lagavulin and caol ila are among my favorites
    Mmmmm... Lagavulin is my fav. Love that stuff!

  10. #10
    TxAggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Revelation/Gemini
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    One IPA won't kill you!


    As far as the whiskey, an Islay single-malt would be my choice.
    NO thank you. I love good beer, IPAís just arenít good beer. I will take a good Bock, Porter or Stout though. As for whiskey (whisky?) I donít discriminate: Bourbon, Irish, Scotch... I like them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    My latest favorite is Laphroaig Select. Never thought a blended scotch could be so good.
    My sister has been trying to get me to get a bottle of Laphroaig, I definitely need to try it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Pondering a DYI hammock of my own
    By BigBill in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-05-2017, 13:41
  2. Pondering a lets go fishing Hang.
    By Gary_R in forum West
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 16:48
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-06-2014, 19:09
  4. pondering DIY top quilt
    By Deadphans in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 23:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •