Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Under stuffed?? Help with First Top quilt - Enlightened Equipment Top quilt

Hi,

I’m new to hammock camping, and was looking for some wisdom - I just ordered my first top quilt from Enlightened Equipment. It is rated down to 40F with 950 down, 10D forest green outer shell and 7D inner.

I just received the quilt today, and upon inspection it seemed like one of the baffles was very much under filled. I tried fluffing and spreading out any clumps, but this one baffle still has entire sections that are completely empty even after dispersing any clumps/deposits.

Question at hand: Does this appear normal, and I should just work on fluffing the down more to see if that helps even it out? Or is it questionable as to whether it could be a mistake and this baffle didn’t receive the appropriate volume of down?

I know as long as it keeps me warm down to 40F that is what matters, but for the price of this quilt I also want to be confident it was built correctly.

Any thoughts or feedback would be most appreciated before I just go off and email EE over something that may be normal.

Thanks in advance the help!
    Cheers
    Mike

*Note*
    The last pic is a close up of the center/horizontal section of the same baffle that you see the 2 empty vertical sections. This part appeared very well filled in the first pic, but that is just because I didn't have a flashlight in the center, it is actually sparse as well. Not approaching empty status like the 2 adjoining sides, but certainly not filled like all the other surrounding baffles either.

Video (the last few seconds show the end segment of the baffle, which is completely empty. Any volume you see is from air, not down)
    https://youtu.be/DHvNF6X6OcI

IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_7819.jpg
    IMG_7144.jpg
    IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_5330.jpg
    Last edited by Hockey4496; 11-10-2018 at 15:41.

I’ve got a 40 with 950 down, check the photo. This was taken unfluffed, right out of the storage sack. If you can’t get this kind of distribution, call EE and complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BTW, the liner and shell are 10d.

wow very helpful photos!! Thank you for taking the time to do that, I really appreciate it! I will email them now, because mine certainly doesn't appear as even or fully stuffed as what I see in your pics.

Any other thoughts or comments?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Though I've never held a flashlight up to my HG 40* Burrow, I can tell you there's not a lot of down in the baffles, and I wouldn't expect there to be since it's a 40* quilt. Since I follow the 10* buffer rule (always make sure your quilts are rated at least 10* higher than the expected lows), I never take my 40* quilts out unless the expected low is at least 50* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Silvr, good advice to have!

Rex, any chance you are able to weigh your quilt? Mine is a Regular/extra-wide so if you have a different size, it would be a moot point on that front

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Though I've never held a flashlight up to my HG 40* Burrow, I can tell you there's not a lot of down in the baffles, and I wouldn't expect there to be since it's a 40* quilt. Since I follow the 10* buffer rule (always make sure your quilts are rated at least 10* higher than the expected lows), I never take my 40* quilts out unless the expected low is at least 50* F.
    My 0 and 20 Burrows are very plush, as expected. But even though the 40 is for much warmer temps, it seems a lot less filled than expected. I don't quite trust it as much as my others. All have +1 oz overfill. It's a great quilt and I'm not complaining about it; just can observation.

Untitled.jpgSo the product specs say 13.85oz, so I just checked and im weighing in at 13.3oz

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey4496 View Post
    Rex, any chance you are able to weigh your quilt? Mine is a Regular/extra-wide so if you have a different size, it would be a moot point on that front
    My quilt is a long-regular, 10d shell and liner. The weight is 14.05 ounces.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast