Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Planning a trip to the Boundary Waters

so here we go.

I'm planning a trip in 2019 to the Boundary Waters. Its a reward to myself for finishing my master's degree. My undergraduate is in Native American studies, so I'm hoping to visit the pictographs on North Hegman Lake. The rest though is all up in the air, looking for suggestions. I have about five days to a week. I'm in decent shape will have an either an aluminum canoe or a kayak. I'm also in Search and Rescue and my SAR K9 will be with as he's also my hiking partner. I will have between two to four other people with me but they are leaving me up to plan it. Basically they are just along for the ride. We all are fairly outdoorsy people so most of the camping gear we have.

The rest of my gear, of course, is my hammock set up, I have a dutchware chameleon, asym net, Basic 12' tarp.

Things I need to get yet is a new underquilt/top quilt set up. I'll be getting those through Hammock Gear.

Just looking more for suggestions for places we shouldn't miss or a nice place to spend a few days unplugged from the world. I'd love to see more pictographs but if I can only get in the Hegman Lake ones this trip I will not be disappointed. I'm also looking for suggestions for gear too.

I am from Northern Wisconsin so Northern MN is not far for me.

thanks, everyone!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    That's definitely one of my favorite routes going in at South Hegman and heading up to Angleworm Lake (and checking out the pictographs on North Hegman along the way. Its a really beautiful lake with several great campsites, plus a hiking trail that is about 14 miles long circling around the entire lake. Angleworm is one of my favorite spots in the BWCA, I've gone as a base camp with my wife and as part of a loop on the way to Four Town and a couple times backpacking. The only downside is the portage between Trease Lake and Angleworm is long and has one big muddy spot for about 50 meters or so. My wife actually lost a her keen sandal there straight off her foot and took us about 20 minutes of digging through the mud. It was her first time in and we had a great laugh about it.

Angleworm Base Camp

Last edited by alifeoutdoors; 11-10-2018 at 20:00.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice! thanks for sharing the pictures. I figured if I start planning now I'll be ready to go by June, at least I hope. Best laid plans and all....

I'm pretty close to you, didn't realize there was anyone close.

I'm also looking at Lac La Croix but there are couple hefty portages there. That might be the first part of the trip and hegman lake might be the last part on the way out.

how is the fishing? Worth carrying a rod?

Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    That's definitely one of my favorite routes going in at South Hegman and heading up to Angleworm Lake (and checking out the pictographs on North Hegman along the way. Its a really beautiful lake with several great campsites, plus a hiking trail that is about 14 miles long circling around the entire lake. Angleworm is one of my favorite spots in the BWCA, I've gone as a base camp with my wife and as part of a loop on the way to Four Town and a couple times backpacking. The only downside is the portage between Trease Lake and Angleworm is long and has one big muddy spot for about 50 meters or so. My wife actually lost a her keen sandal there straight off her foot and took us about 20 minutes of digging through the mud. It was her first time in and we had a great laugh about it.

Angleworm Base Camp

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    So many choices up there! It is an amazing area to be in.
    May I suggest this forum for more detailed research....http://bwca.com
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    There were some nice pictographs in Lac La Croix that are shown in this video I made 3 years ago:

The nicest ones I've seen were in Agnes in Quetico last year:

Quetico is a little more $$$ than the BWCAW, but you can't beat the solitude.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Are you going in on the Ely side or the Gunflint side? The Tuscarora outfitters have a bunkhouse and breakfast deal that’s pretty good and they’ll shuttle you to your drop off. Their French toast is delish!

Charlotte

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Are you going in on the Ely side or the Gunflint side? The Tuscarora outfitters have a bunkhouse and breakfast deal that’s pretty good and they’ll shuttle you to your drop off. Their French toast is delish!

Charlotte
    I'll second that. They shuttled us into Quetico last year, great bunkhouse!

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyphaze View Post
    Nice! thanks for sharing the pictures. I figured if I start planning now I'll be ready to go by June, at least I hope. Best laid plans and all....

I'm pretty close to you, didn't realize there was anyone close.

I'm also looking at Lac La Croix but there are couple hefty portages there. That might be the first part of the trip and hegman lake might be the last part on the way out.

how is the fishing? Worth carrying a rod?
    I always carry a fishing gear in the BWCA Lot of northern as usual and a few bass, didn't really come across any lake trout or walleye unfortunately.

Ah yes, I see you're in Ashland, quite close then. I live in Iron River but work in Ashland, I'm the webmaster for that Sauna place out by Ashland Ford. I really would have preferred to live over here or on the peninsula where we were originally but we found land bordering the Chequamegon NF and the North Country Trail a little south of Iron River and I just couldn't resist.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ohhhh I always get excited when I see Shug. Thanks Buddy. Hands down I learned to Hammock watching you. I watched your video too. Looks amazing.

I have looked at that forum many times. Just wanted to see what the hammock folks had to say. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    So many choices up there! It is an amazing area to be in.
    May I suggest this forum for more detailed research....http://bwca.com
    Shug

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you for the video's very inspiring! Makes me more excited to get out there!

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    There were some nice pictographs in Lac La Croix that are shown in this video I made 3 years ago:

The nicest ones I've seen were in Agnes in Quetico last year:

Quetico is a little more $$$ than the BWCAW, but you can't beat the solitude.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast