double TTTM
    Tarp
    TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I would tend to trust that DreamHammock would add more vents if they felt it was necessary. Instead they include just one triangle vent at the head end’s peak. If you see any more, then it is a custom request. If you really are wanting more ventilation (just to be cautious) and views to the outside while laying down, then go with the slanted vent down one side like the Chameleon hammock (also like the one shown in your pic). If you add more, you are certainly improving the chances of minimizing moisture problems, but you start losing the benefits of heat retention. Most people use a top cover for winter or for the extra privacy.
    Yes, you are right.
    Precisely because additional ventilation on both sides and a viewing window will reduce both moisture and heat - the need for a top cover is lost. And I see no reason to overpay for it.
    I have had the experience of spending the night in the woods at 37F. I have had a tarp Thunderfly, a hammock TTTM with bugnet, TQ/UQ HG 30. I was quite warm inside (only my hands were cold outside)
    Well, as the top cover with such ventilation (my pic) does not significantly increase the heat and the need for it is not.

Images
    Although I have a top cover for each of my Chameleons, I have to say, without a doubt, I prefer not to use them. They trap a lot of moisture from my breath in an enclosed space, and I don't think any amount of bug mesh really can overcome this. I mentioned in another thread recently, that the way I see it, I am laying on my back, breathing through my nose, with my nostrils pointing directly at my feet. So that is where my breath goes, down toward my feet, not out the mesh opening above my head. And this is with a very large mesh opening (Chameleon symmetrical top cover with moonroof). Even with the mesh at both ends like pictured above, I would not expect much moisture to escape the micro-environment of the hammock with top cover.

To block the wind, I prefer a tarp that has sides reaching close to the ground and doors on the end. On the hammock, as long as it is not buggy season, I prefer no bugnet or top cover at all. If it is not buggy, rainy, or windy, then the absolute best scenario is to sleep in the hammock with no tarp and no over-cover of any kind on the hammock. Bliss!

Hammock
    double TTTM
    Tarp
    TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Although I have a top cover for each of my Chameleons, I have to say, without a doubt, I prefer not to use them. They trap a lot of moisture from my breath in an enclosed space, and I don't think any amount of bug mesh really can overcome this. I mentioned in another thread recently, that the way I see it, I am laying on my back, breathing through my nose, with my nostrils pointing directly at my feet. So that is where my breath goes, down toward my feet, not out the mesh opening above my head. And this is with a very large mesh opening (Chameleon symmetrical top cover with moonroof). Even with the mesh at both ends like pictured above, I would not expect much moisture to escape the micro-environment of the hammock with top cover.

To block the wind, I prefer a tarp that has sides reaching close to the ground and doors on the end. On the hammock, as long as it is not buggy season, I prefer no bugnet or top cover at all. If it is not buggy, rainy, or windy, then the absolute best scenario is to sleep in the hammock with no tarp and no over-cover of any kind on the hammock. Bliss!
    Roger!

I like a variable adjustment too cover. Sometimes I need it vented left, sometimes right. Sometimes more, sometimes less, to manage condensation vs heat retention.

For these reasons I exclusively use Dutchs moonlight top cover. It's very similar to the old Envy peekaboo top cover. They both give a high level of adjustability for your conditions whether it's more humid or less or to accommodate wind Direction. I've used it from 70 to 30 degrees and have had 0 condensation issues so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12